Helix,s New home

helixkimara

Visit site
Hello, My new friends. I,m back in England now after a fantastic adventure, All safe and sound. Darren flew out to the Azores with me to help sail Helix home. We set off on Sat. 5th July and headed N.N.E . Darren was badly sea sick from day 1 and became progressively worse. After 7 ½ days he was having bad stomach cramps and had not been able to keep ANYTHING down, even rehydration salts. We were 750 miles from Plymouth and 500 from La Conuna. I made the decision to get him to land as soon as possible so turned to a more comfortable beam reach to just North of La Coruna. Inevitably the wind changed and we fought into it mooring at La Coruna marina at 3.30 a.m. 13 ½ days after leaving Tereciera and 1340 miles (How does the wind know when to change course into your face). Darren was ill for the full voyage. He tried and fought it as much as he could but he was getting dangerously dehydrated.
Has any one tried single handed sailing and being nurse at the same time ?

We thought we would make the best of it and Lyn, my wife flew out for the Summer holidays. Darren flew home. Lyn and I sailed around to Gijon and loved the place.

People we met in La Coruna (fantastic adventure stories at this cross roads of the sea) often said “ and WHY are you sailing back to the North East” Eventually we decided (at Gijon) to book Helix into the marina and leave her there for a while as return trips are dead cheap via Easy Jet. What a great place ! The Rea’s, History, Picos mountains and a fantastic vibrant city with funny cider (sidra) pouring method. £1280 for the year in a marina in the old part of the town.
Anyway I’m home and look forward to seeing you in January.
Macome (Helix)

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Welcome back Malcolm. You seemed to have the same North-Easterly as me on the way back [I left on the 10th] but mine kept on from the NE for my whole trip until I arrived at Falmouth. Bad luck about the seasickness but full marks on the decision. I had the same problem with my wife just sailing around the Azores she was ok with a following wind or a beam reach but the wind from anywhere forward was too much for her. One of the great advantages of single handed sailing is that the only person you have responsibility for is yourself.
And I think a special Jester award should be made for someone who leaves another son in hospital to set out six days late on a single handed ocean race, perhaps we could call it the 'twisted award'.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Noddy

Visit site
Welcome back Malcolm.

Sorry Darren didn't enjoy himself.

I also had a look at the Reas south of Finisterre on the way home. Fantastic cruising ground. And now I've got a mate with a boat out there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See you in January.

Paul

helixkimara

Visit site
Great to here from you and Paul. Helix behaved like a true classic. I did get that 4th reef added to the main as Trevor suggested. And yes Paul you have got a mate with a boat in N. Spain. I'd be happy to talk to you about that. She's only got one hull though, you may have to take your own outrigger and float /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was great to meet you both and your wifes.

Love your quote John. Its bloody great when you stop though!