Fire Extinguisher Servicing

Refueler

Visit site
There are different types of extinguishers and different services.

Of course. But most retail types that get onto boats / into caravans etc are non-serviceable

My foam ones were opened and the man poured in some chemicals (long time ago and memory only tells me that the two chemicals produced the foam). He topped them up.

mmmmmm Foam A and Foam B compounds ... contained separately in the Ext. Flip the Ext upside down and shake .... two mix and viola ... Foam.

Usually a small teaspoon full of each is extracted - mixed to see if it foams. If now - emptied and new batch put in.

Other extinguishers were unscrewed and the pressure delivering device was repressurised using a compressor or he simply replaced the 'bulb' pressure thing.

I would assume these were not the small retail Ext's usually seen.

I only had foam, water, co2 and the awful powder ones back then. The water mist had not hit the market then.

He did all this regardless of any guages in the green.

Water Mist is fine - but like CO2 and Powder - has less cooling effect than you expect despite its water base ...

One of the biggest factors we have on boats - what is best Ext to have ? Due to the many different materials on board and often many are in same area - the type of Ext used makes quite a difference. For me - I regard any Ext on board as a help to get out and away ....

Daydream believer

Visit site
Interestingly the few boat fires that I have seen reported are catastrophic and the vessel a total loss - usually anyone on board gets as far away as possible - use of tiny fire extinguishers are never mentioned. As mentioned fire blankets in the galley never go out of date (we have one) but again never used (never used one at home either).
I tend to have a different attitude to fire extinguishers than most. When I was a teenager my mother's elderly aunt commented on the sun reflecting on the windows of my father's joinery works upper floor. It was the start of a fire. Only the quick action of the family with several of the recently serviced extinguishers put the fire out. Needless to say we have always have plenty to hand, regularly serviced & well indicated. There is no point having them if no one can find them.

In the 70's when mid North Sea, I managed to have a petrol spill into the bilges of about a pint of petrol. I then managed to ignite it as it floated on top of about 12+ inches of water all along the bilge for about 2/3 the length of the boat.
Fortunately, only a month earlier, I had been gifted 2 chubb powder extinguishers by Chubb; because they serviced our factory extinguishers annually ( at great cost I might add). It was the last squirt of the second extinguisher that put the flames out. Without that, I think that it would have been the end for my wooden boat. We had nowhere to run other than the avon dinghy.

I have 3 Chubb powder in my house & a CO2 & 2 powder ones by the doors of my workshop.

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Reports of fires on boats, at least here in Oz are few and far between - but usually involve round petrol and electrics (not necessarily connected).

I wonder what fire extinguishers will be recommended for fires that might involve, not necessarily attributed to, Lithium.

We have noted the idea that fires on boats can commonly be catastrophic, boats are totally destroyed, and it is better to fight the fire 'immediately'. We have four extinguishers, one outside but adjacent to each engine 'room' (fancy name for the space occupied by an engine on a cat), one at the galley (along with the fireblanket) and one under the nav table (other hull from the galley), which is where the batteries and circuit breakers are located.

Lithium is currently flavour of the month, having usurped soft shackles, LFRs (but not anchors). Lithium fires are not really mentioned - and there are members here whose experiences I rate, highly, who have adopted lithium.

A professional fireman has shown me some videos of Lithium fires, in tiny little batteries and cars - they are chilling, and even more so when you add water.

Jonathan

penberth3

Visit site
Reports of fires on boats, at least here in Oz are few and far between - but usually involve round petrol and electrics (not necessarily connected).

I wonder what fire extinguishers will be recommended for fires that might involve, not necessarily attributed to, Lithium.

We have noted the idea that fires on boats can commonly be catastrophic, boats are totally destroyed, and it is better to fight the fire 'immediately'. We have four extinguishers, one outside but adjacent to each engine 'room' (fancy name for the space occupied by an engine on a cat), one at the galley (along with the fireblanket) and one under the nav table (other hull from the galley), which is where the batteries and circuit breakers are located.

Lithium is currently flavour of the month, having usurped soft shackles, LFRs (but not anchors). Lithium fires are not really mentioned - and there are members here whose experiences I rate, highly, who have adopted lithium.

A professional fireman has shown me some videos of Lithium fires, in tiny little batteries and cars - they are chilling, and even more so when you add water.

Jonathan

You've answered your own question. There's nothing an amateur can do with a Lithium fire, so make your plans to suit this. AIUI even professional fire-fighters will keep clear, let it burn, and if possible minimise "collateral damage".

gregcope

Visit site
There are different Lithium chemistries. Lithium Cobalt Oxide(LiCoO2) is one of the one fitted to Phones and some cars. Burns very well. Does not like mechanical damage.

Most yachts (all?) are fitted with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePo4) which is quiet different and much more benin.

Here is a video comparing some chemistries and different failure modes;

Refueler

Visit site
There are different Lithium chemistries. Lithium Cobalt Oxide(LiCoO2) is one of the one fitted to Phones and some cars. Burns very well. Does not like mechanical damage.

Most yachts (all?) are fitted with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePo4) which is quiet different and much more benin.

Here is a video comparing some chemistries and different failure modes

One of the main reasons for LiFe / LiFePo4 cells being used - is because of the charged properties. It is one of the few Lithium based that can remain fully charged without damaging the cells. Near all other Lithium based require reducing to storage level charge to avoid damage.

But note - No Lithium cell likes mechanical damage ... agreed that LiFe will be less destructive - but still care is advised.