Temporary jacking boat off stands

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have lifted many boats large and small simply using jacks and wood blocks

In issue I think the OP has is the keep has rotted through a wood plank so little room under the keel to place a normal jack but a foot jack may be able to be placed under the keel to lift a little then placing thin pieces of wood under the keel then take small lifts with further packing.

If the boat is on loos ground it could be possible to dig a hole to position a jack

This is a foot jack which could be hired

Amazon.com : toe jack

What is the weight of the boat and do you has a pic of the keel and plant gap so we can see the gaps involved.

You may need some extra props to ensure stability of the boat.

The trick is jack it up a little at a time and use packing to prevent slippag

Tranona

Visit site
I have lifted many boats large and small simply using jacks and wood blocks

In issue I think the OP has is the keep has rotted through a wood plank so little room under the keel to place a normal jack but a foot jack may be able to be placed under the keel to lift a little then placing thin pieces of wood under the keel then take small lifts with further packing.

If the boat is on loos ground it could be possible to dig a hole to position a jack

This is a foot jack which could be hired

Amazon.com : toe jack

What is the weight of the boat and do you has a pic of the keel and plant gap so we can see the gaps involved.

You may need some extra props to ensure stability of the boat.

The trick is jack it up a little at a time and use packing to prevent slippag
You don't seem to have read the OPs description of the current situation. The boat has been sitting for 18 years with its fin keel on a wood plank on top of concrete with cradle supports. The wood has rotted and the keel now sits on concrete still with cradle supports. Only way to lift it is with a crane or hoist which is only available twice a year. Consistent advice is just leave it provided the supports are sound.

All your suggestions are totally impractical as well as being unnecessary.

penberth3

Visit site
You don't seem to have read the OPs description of the current situation. The boat has been sitting for 18 years with its fin keel on a wood plank on top of concrete with cradle supports. The wood has rotted and the keel now sits on concrete still with cradle supports. Only way to lift it is with a crane or hoist which is only available twice a year. Consistent advice is just leave it provided the supports are sound.

All your suggestions are totally impractical as well as being unnecessary.

Absolutely. The aptly named Roger the Bodger has completely ignored the most important thing - keeping the hull stable and vertical. There's potential here for a fatal accident.

And another thing. After 18 years I'd be having a good look at the cradle for corrosion, ground movement etc. before I did anything else.

Stemar

Visit site
Absolutely. The aptly named Roger the Bodger has completely ignored the most important thing - keeping the hull stable and vertical. There's potential here for a fatal accident.

And another thing. After 18 years I'd be having a good look at the cradle for corrosion, ground movement etc. before I did anything else.
Big +1.

It may be spring, but there are still plenty of gales around. The cradle may be holding up now, but what will happen when it's disturbed?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I Did read the OP posting several times so I an fully conversant of the OP conditions.

My reading is that the OP needs to lift his boat just a little to allow him to " has been on the hard for so many years that the keel has rotted though the old scaffold plank under the keel. Is it possible to jack the boat high enough to temporarily lift it and scrap out the remains and replace it?"
So he only wishes to lift the boat high enough to temporary lift and scrape the rotted plank out

As its on a concrete base this only needs lifting by maybe 10 /12 mm and scrape out some of the rotted plank and replace the section a short length at a time.

As he lift is only a few mm the side supports would still hold the boat stable. If the side supports are in danger of falling out the side supports can be kept in place with tension using wire rope tension lifts

As the boat seems to be supported for 18 years and still standing it has stood up to winds over all those years.

Adding some more side supports would also help

I have done similar with boats over 40 ft and over 20 tons , its all about a little at a time enduring the side supports are always position to support the boat side to side.

When I lived in the UK I move a 24 ft plywood boat off a hard stand on to a trailer at a height of 18 " ot more and again off the trailer when home.

This seems all about the health and safety in the UK now

some time ago I lifted a 20 ton ferro boat onto a low bed to move 800 Km using 2 truck mounted cranes HIAB then reversed a low bed under the boat and strapped side supports each side

What the OP is thinking of is only lifting the boat a very small amount

This is how my boat was supported while we fittered her out and we also lifted her up to paint under the side supports before fitting out the boat weighted 13 tons