Drone for taking aerial photos of anchorages?

dom

Visit site
+1. Thanks to drones you and your guests can no longer sunbathe in the cockpit unseen by others because BZZZZZZZZZZ yup some pervy anorak is taking pictures from above which will end up on the Interweb. The noise of them is also intensely annoying in a peaceful anchorage. If they're less than the legal 50m from the top of your mast I reckon they're fair game.

Still cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s but only a matter of time. The you can knock the little blighters into the sea!
UAV Quadcopters and drone jammers

Not sure what would happen if a squadron of pervy drones attack at the same time -- a reenactment of the Battle of Okinawa?
?

Refueler

Visit site
+1. Thanks to drones you and your guests can no longer sunbathe in the cockpit unseen by others because BZZZZZZZZZZ yup some pervy anorak is taking pictures from above which will end up on the Interweb. The noise of them is also intensely annoying in a peaceful anchorage. If they're less than the legal 50m from the top of your mast I reckon they're fair game.

What a load of b*******s ......

1. The range at which you would need to be to obtain pervy photos or video is TOO CLOSE for flight.
2. Legal 50m ??? please show me where that is a Legal Act ... because in fact in public areas unless a specific Ordnance is in force - there are no rules or laws about Right to Privacy in this. You cannot in fact prevent flight over your property.
3. If you were to shoot / damage / cause loss of control of a drone other than by official act as in Police - Military - you are liable to prosecution for Criminal Damage.

There are of course a few drone flyers who are stupid and need 'educating' but the majority are law abiding and not interfering with public activities.

Note - Corrected for UAS guidelines issued by CAA. Note that flying in public places - the Privacy part is still valid as there are no actual Rights to Privacy in flying over public or even private property except where specific rule applies such as Airport / Miltary area etc. Overflying people etc. is a separate matter.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I suspect they may be illegal:
Radio frequency jammers

Of course if one were to strap a small, low power one to an anti-drone parrot they'd first have to catch the parrot.

Most anti Drone Systems have been developed for use around restricted airspace such as airports / prisons / official establishments such as military.
Given the format of the serious drones RF control - it needs a blanket flood of RF and targeted toward the drone to even start to cause loss of control. The myth of taking over control is exactly that .. a myth ...
All it can do is cause the drone to land due to its built-in failsafe.

When the drone loses its command signal - the software goes into failsafe and it immediately does one of three things (owner option set on initialisation) :

1. Return to home at set height and land.
or
2. Land where it is
or
3. Hover where it is waiting resumed signal or next command until battery low level which then initiates landing.

dom

Visit site
I suspect they may be illegal:
Radio frequency jammers

Of course if one were to strap a small, low power one to an anti-drone parrot they'd first have to catch the parrot.

Looks like you're right! Though I've hear that bigger yots and stinkpots use them anyway. Very naughty! :devilish:

Guess you're back to the old catapult, 12 bore, or even a tidy little 20 bore would do :)

TLouth7

Visit site
2. Legal 50m ??? please show me where that is a Legal Act
It's article 167 of the Air Navigation Order 2009

OP - for a less intrusive form of aerial photography how about flying a waterproof camera under a kite?

Edit: as per Laika's comment this has been superceded by the identical clause in the 2016 act

laika

Visit site

[...]
2. Legal 50m ??? please show me where that is a Legal Act ... because in fact in public areas unless a specific Ordnance is in force - there are no rules or laws about Right to Privacy in this. You cannot in fact prevent flight over your property.

Article 95 of Air Navigation order 2016?
(1) The SUA operator must not cause or permit a small unmanned surveillance aircraft to be flown in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2), and the remote pilot of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly it in any of those circumstances, except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are-

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the SUA operator or the remote pilot of the aircraft; or

(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

Goldie

Visit site

1. The range at which you would need to be to obtain pervy photos or video is TOO CLOSE for flight.
3. If you were to shoot / damage / cause loss of control of a drone other than by official act as in Police - Military - you are liable to prosecution for Criminal Damage.

There are of course a few drone flyers who are stupid and need 'educating' but the majority are law abiding and not interfering with public activities.

In particular, and as we’re talking about using drones for photography, I would draw your attention to the additional rules for camera fitted drones and especially, the first and third bullet points.

What are the rules for flying drones in the UK?
  • Your drone must weigh under 20kg
  • You can’t fly above 400 feet in altitude or 500 metres from you horizontally
  • Ensure your drone is always in sight
  • Always keep away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields
  • Use your common sense and fly your aircraft safely
  • Any drone weighing more than 250 grams must be registered with the CAA and the drone pilot must complete an online safety test, obtaining a Flyer ID and an Operator ID that should be attached to the Drone.
  • You must not fly within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or vessels
  • Your drone must not be flown within 150 metres of a congested area or any large group of people such as a concert or sporting event as you may be prosecuted
  • If you intend to record in an area where people are, you must inform them before you start, as you will need to respect privacy, or risk being prosecuted
If your drone is fitted with a camera there are additional regulations you must follow.
  • Your drone must not be flown within 150 metres of a congested area or any large group of people such as a concert or sporting event as you may be prosecuted.
  • If you intend to record in an area where people are, you must inform them before you start.

Refueler

Visit site
Article 95 of Air Navigation order 2016?

Yes sorry ... the recent amendments to control use of Drones and UAS ... I stand corrected.

But in my defence - I should have qualified my statement - especially being a member of LARPAS over here - advisory board to Latvian CAA and to EU body who brought about the CAA ANO.

It still also stands that Criminal Damage can be brought ...

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
We have a tame local drone - Mavis the Mavic with an operator who knows what they're doing, has the tickets etc.

Andromeda - Westerly Discus - River Deben Bar Entrance 2020

dpb93SRUwahuglxcXYiwwZb0_UiP5WXN9uuDECxwin6T1--6154Bb-_Bvut-PkD49ga1CFJi5SMsIHjdNwo2TRXEkGNGrJ7E1apoNBBCcmdUi2nFH6w=w1280

To fend off any rogue drones when afloat you'll need some bread, a brush and a bucket of water. Sh*te Hawks hate drones and will attack. The brush and bucket are to clear up after the organic drone jammers.

johnalison

Visit site
In particular, and as we’re talking about using drones for photography, I would draw your attention to the additional rules for camera fitted drones and especially, the first and third bullet points.

What are the rules for flying drones in the UK?
  • Your drone must weigh under 20kg
  • You can’t fly above 400 feet in altitude or 500 metres from you horizontally
  • Ensure your drone is always in sight
  • Always keep away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields
  • Use your common sense and fly your aircraft safely
  • Any drone weighing more than 250 grams must be registered with the CAA and the drone pilot must complete an online safety test, obtaining a Flyer ID and an Operator ID that should be attached to the Drone.
  • Your drone must not be flown within 150 metres of a congested area or any large group of people such as a concert or sporting event as you may be prosecuted
  • If you intend to record in an area where people are, you must inform them before you start, as you will need to respect privacy, or risk being prosecuted
If your drone is fitted with a camera there are additional regulations you must follow.
  • Your drone must not be flown within 150 metres of a congested area or any large group of people such as a concert or sporting event as you may be prosecuted.
  • If you intend to record in an area where people are, you must inform them before you start.
It is the last sentence that matters. Although you are permitted to photograph anyone in a public place (in Britain), it appears that this right does not extend to drones.

Tim Good

Visit site
These are all images taken with a DJI Spark. It only takes 12mp photos with a 1080 video and flies for 15 minutes but it has the advanced software of the other DJI drones which I feel is very important when flying over water!

Note: I only deploy it when there are no other boats in the anchorage.

Alagranza.jpg
Alagranza

Galicia.jpg
Galicia

La Gomera.jpg
La Gomera

Sailing Gran Canaria.JPG
Gran Canaria

Attachments

• La Gomera.jpg
    La Gomera.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 7
  • La Palma.jpg
    La Palma.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Tenerife.jpg
    Tenerife.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 9
  • Anchored Castopol Asturias.jpg
    Anchored Castopol Asturias.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Fuerteventura.JPG
    Fuerteventura.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Galicia.jpg
    Galicia.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 8

dom

Visit site
[QUO
These are all images taken with a DJI Spark. It only takes 12mp photos with a 1080 video and flies for 15 minutes but it has the advanced software of the other DJI drones which I feel is very important when flying over water!

Note: I only deploy it when there are no other boats in the anchorage.

Goodness me, you've got the hang of that - truly fantastic pics! Since this pesky lockdown is on, why don't you tell us some of your techniques?

Assuming that is you're not a pro and the pics are certainly well up to that level!

(y) :)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
And easy to turn into charts to use in opencpn, really useful free resource.
But be aware that Google a) masks areas that are offshore, even if there are reefs or whatever and b) uses imagery that may be several years out of date. Neither are show-stoppers, but both are important to know about. To paraphrase a warning we often put on our maps: the absence of a feature on Google does not mean that no feature exists.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks all, lots of great suggestions to cogitate on.

And Northcave has nailed it in terms of what I am wanting to do (not wanting to take drone photos of crowds of boats in a maritime city). Did you fly the drone to / from the yacht for these photos?

The DJI Spark seems similar priced to the Mavic Mini, but just over the 250g threshold. Any expert able to comment on the other pros and cons between these (Mini no registration, and longer flight time, but may have other compromises to reduce weight)

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks all, lots of great suggestions to cogitate on.

And Northcave has nailed it in terms of what I am wanting to do (not wanting to take drone photos of crowds of boats in a maritime city). Did you fly the drone to / from the yacht for these photos?

The DJI Spark seems similar priced to the Mavic Mini, but just over the 250g threshold. Any expert able to comment on the other pros and cons between these (Mini no registration, and longer flight time, but may have other compromises to reduce weight)

Out of the two ... take the Mini ... the Spark is already an old design.

Tim Good

Visit site
Did you fly the drone to / from the yacht for these photos?

Yes. I started flying only in still conditions and then when confident I'd move to slightly more challenging conditions and eventually to the point of deploying whilst sailing. Landing whilst under sail is the most tricky but the best thing is to grab it with gloves on and then turn it upside down. That cuts the motors automatically. I always fly with blade covers when from the boat on the off chance I prang it into rigging.

If the Mavic Mini had been available at the time I bought mine then I would clearly have got that over the spark for sure.

One thing I found useful are the cheap range extenders on eBay... like this:

Specular Amplifier Antenna Range Booster Signal Extender For DJI Mavic Pro USE | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

p.s I also turn off my VHF, AIS and put my phone to flight mode when flying, particularly if under sail. I cant qualify if it makes a difference but it gives me piece of mind.

p.p.s When flying under sail then use 2.4GHz. It gives much better range.