Best Glue For Wood

C08

Visit site
I am mending some wooden gates that have rotten sections and plan to cut out these bits and scarf in some new 4x2 timber sections. I have epoxy resin and polyester resin which I was thinking of using but I wonder if there is anything better such as Cascamite or other exterior wood glues. If there are better glues than say epoxy I would be interested in what ways recommended products are better?

DownWest

Visit site
Polyester resin is not a glue, so use the epoxy. Some of the polyurethane glues work very well as does Cascamite. Best would be rescorcinol, but needs close glue lines and good clamping pressures, + above 10°C while going off. Not cheap either.
Since you have it, the epoxy, fills gaps and easy to use.

Old Harry

Visit site
I am mending some wooden gates that have rotten sections and plan to cut out these bits and scarf in some new 4x2 timber sections. I have epoxy resin and polyester resin which I was thinking of using but I wonder if there is anything better such as Cascamite or other exterior wood glues. If there are better glues than say epoxy I would be interested in what ways recommended products are better?
best for general woodworking & water resistant

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Using epoxy depends if the wood you cut back to is completely dry. As the gate is rotten, it would suggest it's been wet!

Polyurethane is much more tolerant of wood with elevated moisture content as it's moisture cured. Gorilla is a decent enough brand for that sort of work and Aldi sell it cheaply in little bottles so the problem of part opened bottles becoming thicker / solid doesn't matter so much. When they stock it, buy a load and put it with your stash of toilet rolls for such a situation.

C08

Visit site
Thanks for responses. A good point I had not thought about the moisture levels in the wood. I have never used Gorila Glue althought the tape is impressive. What is the consistancy of GG in terms of its gap filling ability?

jamie N

Visit site
I've used it and it's quite 'filling' in a bubbly way? Basically, Gorilla Glue works as well as anything, and doesn't seem to be a brittle as Cascamite. Both are very good though, but do prefer to be applied to a dry surface of course.

Old Harry

Visit site
I've used it and it's quite 'filling' in a bubbly way? Basically, Gorilla Glue works as well as anything, and doesn't seem to be a brittle as Cascamite. Both are very good though, but do prefer to be applied to a dry surface of course.
cascamite is only brittle when it cured in a mixing vessel, not when timber is jointed with it

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks for responses. A good point I had not thought about the moisture levels in the wood. I have never used Gorila Glue althought the tape is impressive. What is the consistancy of GG in terms of its gap filling ability?

Gorilla Glue is available in two variants ..... White - Interior non weather proof glue good for furniture. Brown - Exterior weather proof and designed for outside jobs. Any reasonable shops such as B&Q ... WICKS etc. should have a version of it ..

BUT there are alternative generic bottles of Polyurethane Glue - so no need to pay Gorilla Glue price !

The big bottle is exactly same PU glue but about same price for that big bottle than the small GG one ! I can even buy the Bison in small bottles as well ....

The one thing you must be aware of with PU glue ... it expands as it sets ... so you MUST clamp securely the pieces so that set at the required angle etc. The glue will bubble out but is easily cut away or sanded once cured. One trick while its curing is to wet your finger and press the expanding PU ..... reducing the amount to shape after.

It is strong .. as you see on the big bottle label - its even Seawater proof ...

Old Harry

Visit site
Gorilla Glue is available in two variants ..... White - Interior non weather proof glue good for furniture. Brown - Exterior weather proof and designed for outside jobs. Any reasonable shops such as B&Q ... WICKS etc. should have a version of it ..

BUT there are alternative generic bottles of Polyurethane Glue - so no need to pay Gorilla Glue price !

The big bottle is exactly same PU glue but about same price for that big bottle than the small GG one ! I can even buy the Bison in small bottles as well ....

The one thing you must be aware of with PU glue ... it expands as it sets ... so you MUST clamp securely the pieces so that set at the required angle etc. The glue will bubble out but is easily cut away or sanded once cured. One trick while its curing is to wet your finger and press the expanding PU ..... reducing the amount to shape after.

It is strong .. as you see on the big bottle label - its even Seawater proof ...
On fine work it leaves a yellow glue line, Cascamite does not & cascamite is clean to use unlike PU crap

Refueler

Visit site
The Bison max looks good but I am having difficulty finding a stockist in NW UK.

Bison is a German product sold across the EU ... there are many Generic versions under other labels ...

Titebond :

Titebond Polyurethane Glue

I see Bison is available via Amazon and also some shops according to Google ...

But basically what you are looking for is PU Exterior Wood Glue ...

Refueler

Visit site
On fine work it leaves a yellow glue line, Cascamite does not & cascamite is clean to use unlike PU crap

You may consider it 'crap' - but its strong, virtually weightless and gap filling. The guys mending a GATE .... not a Chipperfield chair !!

Its also marvellous for boaty jobs ... proved brilliant as a bedding agent when refitting my pulpit ... between toe-rail and fixing brackets .... filling dings and dents / cuts in the wood round topsides ...

jamie N

Visit site
Well polyurethanes need moisture to cure. If the wood is dry, you have to damp one surface.
If one is already damp, you're good to go!
Damp it / Glue it / Clamp it
Good point, I was overlooking that, and just thinking that it's not good to glue onto a 'wet bit of wood',. Cheers (y)

Refueler

Visit site
Good point, I was overlooking that, and just thinking that it's not good to glue onto a 'wet bit of wood',. Cheers (y)

PU uses many ways to cure :

Moisture in the air ..... slow and least expansion .... clamped together

Glue on one part - spray mist of water onto other part ... clamp together - maximum foaming / expansion

Natural moisture content of wood etc. giving medium expansion ... clamp together !

I would still dry the wood somewhat before glueing though .... day indoors is enough ...