Any insurance recommendations (NOT Y Insurance)

Whitelighter

Visit site
I had been with them on and off 10 years. Had to make a big claim in 2018 and whilst they paid I had to put a lot of man hours in when I shouldn't have. One of our parish checked the small print and wasn't impressed. I'm with Y now though my premium went up last October it wasnt a deal breaker.
I'll be checking carefully this year.

Just be careful when they write you a lovely letter explaining they've worked hard to keep the rise to only 5%.

Double check not only what the premium is, but also what value they are insuring. Dropped my insured value by £18k and didnt mention it. WHen I got them to put the value back up to the previous level the yearly rise shot up to 22%.

underhand and disingenuous

masterofnone

Visit site
I was with gjw, 5year cycle. Cheap initial price , every year plus 15percent. New survey moved to y still paying less 3 years in. Above inflation increase this year. Presumably I will eventually end up at pants, decent reputation?

Momac

Visit site
It will be interesting to see who you find to be cheaper and with satisfactory policy wording.
In March I found several others recommended on this forum to be more expensive than Y and I think it was only Saga that was a little less but not by enough to tempt me away from Y.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
It will be interesting to see who you find to be cheaper and with satisfactory policy wording.
In March I found several others recommended on this forum to be more expensive than Y and I think it was only Saga that was a little less but not by enough to tempt me away from Y.
I’d be very wary about Saga.
We have our house and contents with them, or rather, the policy is with a Lloyd’s and I tried to make a claim, first in over 30 years, and it was immediately rejected, even though the policy wording had it covered. Saga were useless, just acting as a broker for Lloyds, and it will now be going to the insurance ombudsman.

Momac

Visit site
I’d be very wary about Saga.
We have our house and contents with them, or rather, the policy is with a Lloyd’s and I tried to make a claim, first in over 30 years, and it was immediately rejected, even though the policy wording had it covered. Saga were useless, just acting as a broker for Lloyds, and it will now be going to the insurance ombudsman.

Noted

Elessar

Visit site
+1. Changed from Y last year, after several years with no claims they wanted a 25% increase. Saving of circa £200 with Craftinsure. Just renewed this year with premium reduction!
Been with them a while. 3 claims. When you have a claim you feel like their only client. Faultless.

JFM pointed out a policy issue you should be aware of however.
In the case of a total loss they reserve the right to replace your boat with an equivalent.
I’m happy with that just make sure you are.

Momac

Visit site
I just put my boat details in the Craftinsure site exactly as my present cover and getting prices the same and more than I paid in March to 'Y'.
Factors such as where you keep your boat are obviously an influence.

ashtead

Visit site
As one who has some knowledge of insurance business would avoid Saga as they take high commissions. Ideally look at insuring direct with a known underwriter or the insurers affiliate broker unless you have a unusual risk profile. Ultimately though the price varies depending on what the insurer has on books so if it has too many risks of a type it will uplift prices. You also have to remember many insurers offload risk to third party reinsures so in reality earn little via risk and look to earn income via fees etc and add ons. You just have to research as no money supermarket types as there’s not enough money in boat insurance for the aggs to be interested in the £60 per placement fee compared to motor and home.

Momac

Visit site
As one who has some knowledge of insurance business would avoid Saga as they take high commissions.

Does that matter if the price the customer pays is okay ?

The chief officer and I have car insurance via Saga and the price is competitive. I also enquired about boat insurance and that was competitive too . However if Saga are problematic when it come to claims perhaps that's a good reason why they might be be avoided.

Greg2

Visit site
We insured our new (to us) boat with Y as we have been with them for a while. Having made no claims for most of our time boating we have made two with them - relatively minor but settled easily and with good service. That combined with their policy wording and the general increase in insurance costs overall was enough for us to stay put. .

ashtead

Visit site
If brokers are taking higher commissions it hits the Profitability of account and so might influence claims approach. To put it more simply if you have an account via a broker which wants high commission and low prices then as insurer your claims team might be under pressure to reduce costs . With a profitable account underwriters don’t want to lose the scheme so when a claim arises which is marginal they tend to persuade the claims team to accept and the broker has more clout if he’s writing profitable business. Greedy brokers role from underwriter to underwriter due to poor scheme performance in summary .

Sandyshore

Visit site
Craftinsure appears limited wording and cover to my current insurance.
Just looked on line they deduct 70% for outboard claims and no insurance for prop either.
No protected NCB.
Cant see whats good apart from a couple of clicks on the keyboard.
Me, I only deal with humans on insurance and financial matters

Easticks28

Visit site
Does that matter if the price the customer pays is okay ?

The chief officer and I have car insurance via Saga and the price is competitive. I also enquired about boat insurance and that was competitive too . However if Saga are problematic when it come to claims perhaps that's a good reason why they might be be avoided.
My one claim experience (motor )with Saga was exemplary - but you do need to keep on their case when it comes to renewals. They play the usual trick of relying on customer inertia whilst rewarding new business.

Elessar

Visit site
Craftinsure appears limited wording and cover to my current insurance.
Just looked on line they deduct 70% for outboard claims and no insurance for prop either.
No protected NCB.
Cant see whats good apart from a couple of clicks on the keyboard.
Me, I only deal with humans on insurance and financial matters
Max deduction of 70% for an old outboard. There is a deduction per year of age.

Underwater gear is covered but the excess is doubled.

And each to their own but I’d much rather have an efficient online system than to be told that my call is important to them but they are having a lot of calls........

It remains good value IMO and I’ve been with them for quite a few years now.

Where they say something isn’t covered by the way you can ring up and have it added. So I added chartering which the policy says is excluded. The additional cost was modest.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Been with Y for 5 years.

20% increase last year, 22% this year. No claims. Had enough

Anyone got anyone else to try?
Hi, worse increases has been in the Eastern med.. mainly due to lightening strikes.
I have to review next year, which is a shame as their contract is the best in the business.
If you do change watch out for the usual low starting price.... the catch up next year!