Any insurance recommendations (NOT Y Insurance)

Momac

Visit site
That's a dreadful exclusion.
Tie off to a Sea View Yacht Club visitor's buoy (Isle of Wight) and go ashore for lunch. Another boat hits yours and does a lot of damage. It's unattended. It's arguably off an exposed shore. Not covered. Tough.
It might be dreadful to you but for me it would not be a concern. So depends really on where and how people go boating.
But it is a good example why people should read the policy wording including exclusions before buying insurance.

I am more concerned about exclusion 5n.
5n . loss or damage to rudder, outboard, strut, outdrive, propeller, or
shaft, caused by contact with any external substance, unless
by a risk covered by this insurance the vessel or boat(s) sinks,
strands or is in contact with another vessel, pier or slipway;

PS
Saga have agreed to delete exclusion 5n

Portofino

Visit site
Thanks for enclosing your Saga policy.
Didnt like the exclusion
(l) loss, damage, liability or expense arising from such vessel or boat(s) being left unattended off an exposed beach or shore
It’s something a lot of Med boaters do , leave it unattended.
A few years ago I drilled down with the brokers Coleman’s into a then Amlins policy .Remember policies evolve .
Amlins were silent and a blazing row broke on here as i raised the issue inadvertently on another insurance thread.
Insurance threads coming a close second to anchor threads it seems in terms of diverse opinions :unsure:
Up shot was the Amlin love boys then thought the “ all risks “ and the fact it was not mentioned in exclusions meant i guess logically leaving a boat unattended @ anchor was covered.
Amlins came back with they were happy ( covers the bump scenario and dragging ) if you were in “line of sight and able to rtn with 30 mins “ .Anything else they said was considered poor seaman ship and irresponsible and would refute .
They said they could not list all exclusions and just because it’s not listed in whats include and excluded does not necessarily put it in the “ all risks “ bin .

Which all seemed to me pretty reasonable and do able for my use age pattern .
So this counts below .That’s our tender ( dog comfort break )
2035ED3C-4E44-4897-B61E-F3579645F1F1.jpeg
How ever there is a small town 1/2 hr walk in the woods , so to provision up , one of us would stay behind .Again no problem .

My latest policy answering the unattended ( discussion with Coleman’s again ) Is the Zurich based and it goes further to write in the t+c s it can be left unattended at anchorages or moorings that are marked on a chart or plotter .Or words to that effect .
Thats huge .
First it opens up many places and there’s no time limit either .So in the above pic its “ marked “on a chart we could fly off from an air port for a few days and the boat will still be covered .Not that we would do that btw .

Of course both wonder about on shore “out of line of sight “

The downer is the” replacement of suitable boat” thingy .That’s there to discourage folks torching / sinking for the insurance money and hardly ever used .Aside Itama s , Otam , Magnum much of a muchness really anyhow and total losses are rare .

I wanted the unattended @ anchor boundaries in black and white not thrown into the “ all risks “ dustbin .

Last edited:

TwoHooter

Visit site
Not sure this is the YBW equivalent of Godwin's Law ("as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a discussion involving anchors approaches 1" ) but we're heading in that direction :).

Following correspondence with our insurance agents in 2016 I received this reply: 'With regard to your question regarding leaving [your boat] anchored or moored to a buoy for a few hours, Underwriters have confirmed that this would be covered under your yacht insurance subject to policy Terms and Conditions, but not if left at anchor for more than 24 hours. '

I had a look at our logs. We have left our boats ( our first one and the current one) unattended off an exposed beach or shore many times usually for an all-day trip ashore, sometimes many miles away from the boat and often several such trips during an extended stay.

I agree the insurance has to suit the use. If we weren't able to leave our boat unattended for trips ashore we'd have to give up boating. It would be just too restrictive. Most Nordhavns are used like this. Some of them don't see a marina for months on end.

Hooligan

Visit site
It’s something a lot of Med boaters do , leave it unattended.
A few years ago I drilled down with the brokers Coleman’s into a then Amlins policy .Remember policies evolve .
Amlins were silent and a blazing row broke on here as i raised the issue inadvertently on another insurance thread.
Insurance threads coming a close second to anchor threads it seems in terms of diverse opinions :unsure:
Up shot was the Amlin love boys then thought the “ all risks “ and the fact it was not mentioned in exclusions meant i guess logically leaving a boat unattended @ anchor was covered.
Amlins came back with they were happy ( covers the bump scenario and dragging ) if you were in “line of sight and able to rtn with 30 mins “ .Anything else they said was considered poor seaman ship and irresponsible and would refute .
They said they could not list all exclusions and just because it’s not listed in whats include and excluded does not necessarily put it in the “ all risks “ bin .

Which all seemed to me pretty reasonable and do able for my use age pattern .
So this counts below .That’s our tender ( dog comfort break )
View attachment 107104
How ever there is a small town 1/2 hr walk in the woods , so to provision up , one of us would stay behind .Again no problem .

My latest policy answering the unattended ( discussion with Coleman’s again ) Is the Zurich based and it goes further to write in the t+c s it can be left unattended at anchorages or moorings that are marked on a chart or plotter .Or words to that effect .
Thats huge .
First it opens up many places and there’s no time limit either .So in the above pic its “ marked “on a chart we could fly off from an air port for a few days and the boat will still be covered .Not that we would do that btw .

Of course both wonder about on shore “out of line of sight “

The downer is the” replacement of suitable boat” thingy .That’s there to discourage folks torching / sinking for the insurance money and hardly ever used .Aside Itama s , Otam , Magnum much of a muchness really anyhow and total losses are rare .

I wanted the unattended @ anchor boundaries in black and white not thrown into the “ all risks “ dustbin .
Without wishing to resurrect that debate i have been insured by both Amlins and N&G. In both cases i sought clarity on the issue of leaving your bought and being out of sight. In both cases i received clear answers that you remain insured. Both insurers recognised the issue faced. the demarcation lies when you anchor in a unsafe place. Now i appreciate some will now say who defines unsafe and the answer to this is as above as Porto has in his policy. In my current insurance there is also a time limit of 24 hours but this is not something I would ever do anyway so not much of a hardship.