And the prize for the most miserable harbour goes to Weymouth Harbour.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Dorset Council Weymouth Harbour
Notice to Mariners No.12/20 (T)
Weymouth Harbour continued safe boating update.
Mariners are advised that, as a consequence of the government national restrictions commencing on the 5th of November for Coronavirus, the following changes to operations will apply in Weymouth Harbour. These measures are in place to protect harbour users and staff and will be reviewed as further guidance is received.
Government guidance can be accessed through the following link:

New National Restrictions from 5 November

The detailed measures are:
  1. Stay at home, except for specific purposes.
  2. Avoid meeting people you do not live with, except for specific purposes.
  3. Close certain businesses and venues.
The measures relevant to Weymouth Harbour:
  • No visitor requests will be accepted during this period.
  • You should not travel to your boat unless it is essential.
  • You cannot stay overnight on your boat.
  • The slipway will only be utilised for essential purposes, please request approval from the Harbour Office by email in advance.
  • Weymouth Town Bridge will only be lifted for essential purposes, please request approval from the Harbour Office in advance.
  • If a contractor is required to visit a vessel, please request approval from the Harbour Office by email or phone in advance.
  • Commercial vessels may continue to operate subject to the criteria for essential work.
    Our advice is that if you can avoid visiting your boat please do so.
page1image1640829376
We can assure all customers that Weymouth Harbour is maintaining a full service on site to ensure your boat is kept safe whilst you stay at home.

Weymouth Harbour office will operate winter hours 07:30 – 17:00Hrs. If you wish to make contact with the harbour office, please contact us via the following email address: weymouthharbour@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Please help us to maintain a safe Covid-19 free environment by applying the government guidance.
Weymouth NTM 11/20(T) is cancelled.
Owners, Agent, Charterers, Marinas, Yacht Clubs, Recreational Sailing Organisations and Water Sports Associations should ensure that the contents of this notice are made known to the Masters or persons in charge of their vessels or craft.
Jamie Joyce Harbour Master
Date: 6 November 2020

Why would anyone want to keep their boat in Weymouth Harbour after this, this harbour master has decided to make Weymouth the least boat friendly harbour of 2020. He was one of the last to reluctantly open in July and now he is on his own mission to prevent use of boats despite the clear permission we have to use our boats for recreation.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Mariners are advised that, as a consequence of the government national restrictions commencing on the 5th of November for Coronavirus, the following changes to operations will apply in Weymouth Harbour. These measures are in place to protect harbour users and staff and will be reviewed as further guidance is received.

• The slipway will only be utilised for essential purposes, please request approval from the Harbour Office by email in advance.
  • Weymouth Town Bridge will only be lifted for essential purposes, please request approval from the Harbour Office in advance.
  • If a contractor is required to visit a vessel, please request approval from the Harbour Office by email or phone in advance.
  • Commercial vessels may continue to operate subject to the criteria for essential work.
View attachment 102347
We can assure all customers that Weymouth Harbour is maintaining a full service on site to ensure your boat is kept safe whilst you stay at home.

Weymouth Harbour office will operate winter hours 07:30 – 17:00Hrs. If you wish to make contact with the harbour office, please contact us via the following email address: weymouthharbour@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Please help us to maintain a safe Covid-19 free environment by applying the government guidance.
Owners, Agent, Charterers, Marinas, Yacht Clubs, Recreational Sailing Organisations and Water Sports Associations should ensure that the contents of this notice are made known to the Masters or persons in charge of their vessels or craft.

Why would anyone want to keep their boat in Weymouth Harbour after this, this harbour master has decided to make Weymouth the least boat friendly harbour of 2020. He was one of the last to reluctantly open in July and now he is on his own mission to prevent use of boats despite the clear permission we have to use our boats for recreation.

Indeed - they have consistently applied the regulations in the most heavy handed fashion.

When the restrictions were first lifed in May the NTMs attempted to restrict where boats could go to having left the harbour and up to this point they were in the minority in banning rafting.

Sucks to be in the marinas there given the bridge is effectively closed.

SimonFa

Visit site
Still nothing official from Portland harbour or marina which I'm taking to read as: You're responsible for following the law and staying Covid compliant, now get on with your life.

And as someone said on another thread, (I paraphrase): Don't ask and you won't get the answer you don't like - which is summed up by the aphorism that it's usually easier to ask forgiveness than get permission.

seadog30

Visit site
We gave up visiting Weymuff a couple of years ago, when the berthing staff decided that the old system of boats organising there berthing / rafting with each other would be replaced by a fixed command from the HM. We had a major telling off after moving to a vacant space in the evening to allow a boat inside us to leave easily in the early hours.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Still nothing official from Portland harbour or marina which I'm taking to read as: You're responsible for following the law and staying Covid compliant, now get on with your life.

And as someone said on another thread, (I paraphrase): Don't ask and you won't get the answer you don't like - which is summed up by the aphorism that it's usually easier to ask forgiveness than get permission.

Don't be surprised if you get an email saying going down to the boat in order to maintain or winterise it not allowed, day sailing is fine and the marina team will be happy to discuss any of your requirements in respect of the former.

Elessar

Visit site

View attachment 102347

Miserable yes. Not actually stopping you going to your boat it seems. But refusing to open the bridge isn’t on. Is there a right of navigation?

Seven Spades

Visit site
Exactly but it amounts to the same thing. It must be so damaging for Weymouth Marina to have to deal with this attitude, I am sure that many berth holders will be looking to move. If it was me I would relocate in April.

colhel

Visit site
I took the boat out from Weymouth yesterday primarily to top up the diesel tank. It was pretty rough out in the Bay due to the South Easterly but I didn't encounter any opposition on my little trip to the harbour entrance. I don't need the bridge lifted. Exchanged pleasantries with Marina staff and topped up diesel as normal.

Stemar

Visit site
From my club in Portsmouth Harbour:

Following the latest Government announcement last weekend, the sailing club has had to close the bar and galley for the period of the lockdown.
It currently seems that outside physical exercise is allowed in family groups or observing the published rules and guidelines. The RYA believe that recreational sailing or any other water sport is still allowed. This means we will keep the pontoon open as normal, socially distancing of course, so you can access the water and your boats for essential or emergency maintenance. Because the pontoon and harbour remain open, normal berthing or winter rates will still apply to all boats on the pontoon overnight. The door to the clubhouse will remain operational so that members have access to the toilets but please observe the published government rules when inside the building and using the facilities.

../..
The onus is being put on the member(s) to decide whether they are willing to use the club facilities, even with social distancing and personal hygiene you are using them entirely at your own risk.

On the whole, I'd say it's a pretty sensible attitude. I would say that winterising one's boat comes under the heading of essential maintenance, as would engine repairs and the like, but refitting the interior probably doesn't. The reference to pontoon fees is because they had to close the pontoon in the last lockdown, so boats already there were allowed to stay for free. No free passes this time!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
From my club in Portsmouth Harbour:

Following the latest Government announcement last weekend, the sailing club has had to close the bar and galley for the period of the lockdown.
It currently seems that outside physical exercise is allowed in family groups or observing the published rules and guidelines. The RYA believe that recreational sailing or any other water sport is still allowed. This means we will keep the pontoon open as normal, socially distancing of course, so you can access the water and your boats for essential or emergency maintenance. Because the pontoon and harbour remain open, normal berthing or winter rates will still apply to all boats on the pontoon overnight. The door to the clubhouse will remain operational so that members have access to the toilets but please observe the published government rules when inside the building and using the facilities.

../..
The onus is being put on the member(s) to decide whether they are willing to use the club facilities, even with social distancing and personal hygiene you are using them entirely at your own risk.

On the whole, I'd say it's a pretty sensible attitude. I would say that winterising one's boat comes under the heading of essential maintenance, as would engine repairs and the like, but refitting the interior probably doesn't. The reference to pontoon fees is because they had to close the pontoon in the last lockdown, so boats already there were allowed to stay for free. No free passes this time!
Just had a very similar message from the boatyard where we're based a mile or two upstream from you. Meanwhile our sailing club building has been locked and bolted since March.

steveeasy

Visit site
Image preview

Seams in light of no requirement or instruction to close its business as usual on the Hamble. Not sure why Weymouth sees things differently.
Steveeasy

Daedelus

Visit site
We gave up visiting Weymuff a couple of years ago, when the berthing staff decided that the old system of boats organising there berthing / rafting with each other would be replaced by a fixed command from the HM. We had a major telling off after moving to a vacant space in the evening to allow a boat inside us to leave easily in the early hours.
Had much the same happen to us. In the old days we once tried to contact harbour staff and eventually gave up and just rafted up . Everyone was quite happy with it. Then some while later got a rollocking when we went to pay dues "Ah, you're the yacht that didn't call us and ask where to berth" Mentioned it hadn't been like that last time and was told it was in Reed's and I should read the almanac. So I took that year's edition and gave him the thing opened at the Weymouth entry and asked him to point it out to me. He said very aggrievedly that the boss had asked them to include a note to call up HM first. I just looked at him and he then agreed it wasn't there. No hint of an apology though.

Next time we went in we were told to raft up to "X" which we couldn't find until crew finally spotted them some boats in and the outside boat told they were leaving at 0300 and would we too like to go inside them. So we did. So much for the HM plans!

girlofwight

Visit site
We‘ve had much the same rafting problems at Weymouth.

As we are a mobo the assumption is raft us against another mobo and all so well. Er, no... we’ve got low level walk around decks - ignore the mast v fly bridge thing, rafting us against a sailing boat is much better - then we don‘t have to climb 4’ to the adjoining boat (as I did once, eight days out of knee surgery, despite having warned them 24 hours ahead we were coming in and asking for alongside berth given the circumstances).

Equally rafting a sailing boat against us rather than a slab sided mobo makes for a happy life for everyone, other than the raggies seem to have a mental block on using shore lines when rafting against a mobo, which never helps my blood pressure...

Pagetslady

Visit site
Associated British ports have taken it upon themselves to close all their marina to all pleasure craft or at least our marina at Fleetwood say so I can keep myself more isolated on board than I am at home.