Zinc rich primer

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Hello,
I have read people sometimes use a "zinc rich primer" under the propeller and bracket antifouling, this year I would like to give it a go.
What type of product is it, exactly? There are the sort of cold galvanising paints, usually a resin matrix with (supposedly) 99% zinc metal powder, and other products more properly called "primer" which mostly have a zinc phosphate active component.
Which of the two should be used?
Tia

Bilgediver

Visit site
I do not know if it is still the case however a few years ago I showed the International Paint Rep visiting our ship some model railway coaches I had tried to refurbish but the paint kept bubbling. He advised the use of an etch primer . I asked for a recommendation in the UK and he advised that the cans of GREY primer sold in aerosols in Halfords is fine. That advice was followed and 40 years later they are still fine. One aerosol would do a prop.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I do not know if it is still the case however a few years ago I showed the International Paint Rep visiting our ship some model railway coaches I had tried to refurbish but the paint kept bubbling. He advised the use of an etch primer . I asked for a recommendation in the UK and he advised that the cans of GREY primer sold in aerosols in Halfords is fine. That advice was followed and 40 years later they are still fine. One aerosol would do a prop.
Thank you.
Actually, I use the Seajet Shogun antifouling painted directly on the propeller, p-bracket and propeller shaft, after mechanical brush cleaning +final solvent. It sticks without problems; I haul out and renew every year.
Funnily enough, in terms of fouling the result is almost perfect on copper alloys pieces (propeller and bracket), which remain clean, whereas the stainless steel shaft if often covered by barnacles. Unpainted fittings like the rope cutter are very fouled.
The propeller and bracket are beginning to show some reddish hue. Anodes seem to do their work, they deplete and measurements with the reference electrode seem ok. I am tempted to try some paint with some basic cathodic potential to see if there is anything different. Just experimenting :)

michael_w

Visit site
Hammerite special metals primer works a treat on props. I overcoat with Trilux for a few weeks protection.

seumask

Visit site