You wonder what previous owners did when sailing the boat ...

14K478

Visit site
I call Paul Rainbow of this forum in evidence of the state of wiring that you can inherit when the last owner was His Majesty’s Government!

Alicatt

Visit site
Before I had GPS on a boat - I had one of the Nasa Decca units ......
I worked for Decca Radar Ltd. back in the 1970s, it was my first proper job, as a trainee I started out servicing Mk12 Decca Navigators, then Mk5 and then the Mk21, Decca 101 and Super 101 radars, went off to Decca HQ to learn about the new Anti Collision Radars and the digital logic behind them.
Ah brings back memories of the nice and not so nice fishing boats I used to go work on around the North of Scotland.

Refueler

Visit site
"Alicatt" ...... spaghetti ?

THIS is spaghetti !!

Yed3ZBDl.jpg

Alicatt

Visit site
I only have simple little boat.
_DSC8592SM.JPG

Trying things out on Saturday and none of the lights worked, yesterday my wife and I went to the boat again to build a snag list, so I fired up the engine and low and behold all the lights worked except for the port navigation light, following the wires through the lazarette, there is only one battery to start the engine, one output of the alternator charges that, the other output powers the lights etc. so when you want the anchor light on you have to run the engine :)

Refueler

Visit site
Allcatt .... Funny you say that .... previous owner had wired ALL nav lights incl mast steaming light as one.... such I could not separate for under sail only etc.

All cables lead into conduits and then buried .... plus as example - white cable enters conduit for bow port / stbd combined light .. but black cable exits conduit to connect to the light !!!
Cables unmarked .... on testing - at least 40% do nothing ..... as far as we can tell.

Alicatt

Visit site
My wife and I were talking with the guy from the next boat from ours, listening to the engine warming up as we chatted, when I said to him that the lights did not work, so I turned everything on and low and behold everything worked except that port light, the only thing that comes off the start battery is the engine space blower so at least you can vent the area before starting all 13hp of it.
There is a control box for a diesel fired heater and ducting for it in places, but in other places the route for the duct has been fiberglassed over and no sign of said heater, there are places where there should be a void, like under the stairs down to the cabin and the shape of the stair carries on sideways into the head, the head is a porta potti sitting on that step.
With the engine running the water pump works when you turn on the tap - not that I found the pump yet, the lazarette is 2m long with a shelf forward, engine to the back of it - VP MD7 on a S drive, 1.5m between the 100l water tank on the port side and the 100l diesel tank to starboard and just over 0.5m in height. so a good enough size