YM's favourite pubs

MissFitz

Visit site
Re: YM\'s favourite pubs

[ QUOTE ]
But my all time favourite crap beer salon must be the top deck of the Haslar lightship on a summer evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there a couple of weeks ago & the lightship has disappeared - anyone know where it's gone to?

tobermoryphil

Visit site

I prefer the Macdonald Arms to the Mishnish in Tobermory- better grub, and not a telly in sight. I don't want MTV or soccer if I'm having a pint!

OGITD

Visit site

Decades ago we (select group of teenagers) used to sail across Morecambe Bay, pick up a buoy in the channel off Piel Island and spend many a night, sometimes with good music provided by one of the many punters. Additional to the good beer, good company and occasional good music there is this Norman castle where you could sit upon or around and watch the sunsets/sunrise with a pint and good company.

andy59

Visit site

The George in yarmouth /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif when you have Saltys and the wheatsheaf /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site

Must say, not particularly comprehensive.... nothing in Dartmouth, Salcombe, Plymouth... very poor choice in Fowey....

How bout the Cherub in Dartmouth... excellent little pub with loads of atmosphere, a good meal used ot be had upstairs...

Plus of course as previously mentioned the Ferryboat in Dittisham....

And the Reindeer in East Bridgford.... prize maybe for the best pub furthest inland nearest to a marina with access to the sea....

Though no doubt some of the peeps in Farndon will disagree...

I think you need a far more extensive research job this summer.... You could do a sort of UK tour visting loacl bods on their boats and their favortie local... I see a good series of articles here.... bit of local sailing with a pub guide combo.... just skip all those dull east coast/ Brighton types that seem to be the favorites of that other magazine...

Danny Jo

Visit site

Based on my experience of the handful on this list that I have visited, it is an excellent start.

Why so many negative comments? I suspect that peeps are irritated, in spite of the tongue-in-cheek phraseology (or perhaps because of it?), by the pretence that these 40 pubs were selected from a much larger sample "YM has scoured the country . . . Britain's best waterside pubs".

Heaven forbid the notion that a forumite might talk down his favourite dives pour décourager les autres. (Yes, I know, my Dutch is terrible.) We would not be so misguided, aware as we are that if we want our favourites to survive, we should spread the word.

So I say, let's have more on the list - I'll start with my best from last season - the Eagle Barge - a brilliant floating pub on the Caledonian Canal; the Maryfield House Hotel on Bressay, Shetland Islands; and the Praban bar at the Hotel Eilean Iarmain on Ornsay, Skye. The first two require booking the previous evening or early in the morning - the proprietress of Maryfield House, for example, buys fish straight of the boat, but only for the diners that have booked.

Must stop, there's saliva dripping all over my keyboard.

Vanilla

Visit site

I gather the Haslar Lightship will reopen on 1st March and has been taken over by the person/people who run The Old Lodge in Alverstoke. Believe it's due back from the refurb in the next few days, if not back already?

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

In anticipation of further global warming, I'd like to nominate the Wykeham Arms in Winchester. Another couple of hundred years and the sea will be lapping at its doors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

TamarMike

Visit site

Once upon a time... The Swan (North Corner,Devonport), The Bilge Bar (Kingsand), The King's Arms (Cawsand), The Spaniards Inn (Cargreen)
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

danfoley

www.ybw.com

I used to live in Winchester, the Wykeham was very nice although a little sophisticated for my student tastes back then! If it rains very hard you get quite large puddles outside, but I'm not sure that qualifies it as waterside.

jhr

Art College or King Alf's?

[ QUOTE ]
If it rains very hard you get quite large puddles outside, but I'm not sure that qualifies it as waterside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it time; the Victorians had to get a diver in to help stabilise the foundations of the Cathedral, and the Wykeham is only just round the corner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

danfoley

www.ybw.com

Well I'm glad they sorted out the cathedral first, the number of drinkers that would have been put out if the grounds had collapsed would have been far greater than the number in the pub!

I was at Peter Symonds College for 6th form actually, although I did spend a fair few evenings at the art college bar. Are you still in the area? What's it like these days?

jhr

I've lived there for a long time and I still think it's a great place. Like all cities, it's changed over the years and is currently being despoiled by property developers, intent on covering all the green space with new housing. That, and the London commuter contingent, make it hard to love sometimes but it still has more of a buzz than many other cathedral cities.

In spite of the Invasion of the Pub Chain, there are still lots of nice places to go; my favourites, apart from the Wykeham, are the Vine and the Eclipse, which you'll probably recall from your time there and the Railway Inn, where there's lots of live music (Johnny Borrell and Andy Burroughs, whos dad is a local GP, have turned up there to play, unannounced in the past). Jewry Street - of all places - is Party Central at night and best avoided if you're not into people being sick (and worse) in the gutter as you walk by.

Mind you, my priorities have changed over the years. My daughter will be going to Symonds' in Autumn 2010, I hope /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

danfoley

www.ybw.com

Ah, so many memories! Yes The Railway was a regular haunt, Andy's sister was in our year at college although i never saw him play live. There are a lot of nice pubs down there in fact, the Black Boy does )or did) some great food.

My favourite eatery was Fatty Arbuckle's, although it might have been something to do with the fact that as i worked there I was allowed to eat as much deep fried food as I liked! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif