YM's favourite pubs

jamesjermain

Visit site
Re: YM\'s favourite pubs

My three daughters all went to Symonds.

In my youth the only pub in Jewry Street was The City Tavern - roughly where Jailhouse is now. We (the rugby club) drank there on Saturday nights while during the week we (the journos on the Hampshire Chronicle) drank there at lunch time - often in the company of lawyers from the Assize and Quarter Sessions courts. This lead to some interesting trials in the afternoon, though the court reporters were far too asleep to report them.

My regular for years was The Eclipse - always a great pub - while The Vine was for students, The Exchange for professional types and the Bakers Arms for the head cases. We would migrate out to the March Hare for laters on Friday night because it was just outside the City limits.

Ah! Happy days.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

Apologies everyone, I've hi-jacked this thread without really meaning to.

To get it back on track, one of my favourites is the Harbour Bar in Portrush. If you order a pint of Guinness, it takes about ten minutes to arrive (has to settle, be topped up, settle again etc) but all the clichés about Guinness tasting better in Ireland are true. The Harbour Bistro, next door, is an excellent restaurant and Portrush is a beautiful little harbour, though not much space for the cruising yachtsman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

jimi

Visit site

One of my favourite pubs is just outside Winchester, The Swan at Barton Stacey, its almost waterside co the Devr is very close

l'escargot

Visit site

Taking me down memory lane now. I now work with the chap who managed the City Tavern in the early 70's, I worked in the Railway in the mid 70's and in the Vine in the late 70's. All those names and a few missed (The Theatre Bar, Royal Oak, Market Inn, Green Man, Hyde Tavern...) evoke memories. Winchester was a real drinkers town /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

michael_w

Visit site

Ahh! The Hyde Tavern. Cracking pint of Marston's Pedigree. Shame all the Winch pubs converted to Greene King muck.

TamarMike

Visit site

Am I mistaken or is the photo on page 1 of Yachting Monthly taken from the NOW CLOSED Spaniards Inn looking across to Thorn Point?

DaveS

Visit site

Entirely agree. The Mishnish used to be a great pub, but on each visit in the last 10 years or so it has been pretty dire. (Karioke for 15 year olds, etc.)

I once arrived with a vegetarian pal, looking for dinner. No veggy choice on menu. "Could you do an omellete?", says he. "I'll see", says the serving wench. Then, on her return, "Sorry, Chef doesn't do omelletes..."

Needless to say, we went to the new pub instead.