Yellow eBay 5 tonne lug crimpers as emergency shroud cutters?

Neeves

Visit site
I can cut high tensile chain, G120, 8mm and HT bolts with ease with bolt croppers. Stainless rigging wire is much softer but more difficult to cut quickly. You need parrot beaked bolt croppers - which few carry.

Jonathan

As has been mentioned in the past - cutting discs for angle grinders dissolve quickly in water - if you have lost a mast the idea of keeping the angle grinder dry is a bit of a (dangerous) joke. The blades disintegrate and unbalance the grinder - you will drop it (so wear boots with toe caps).

Jonathan

Reactions: CJU

V1701

Visit site
Other ideas from elsewhere - hammer the pins out or undo the turnbuckles. Didn't YBW do some testing & find a good hacksaw with appropriate blade pretty effective for rigging under tension?

Daverw

Visit site
But what if you are in trouble on the boat. Not in the workshop. Do you take a stackof batteries with you every time you go? I bet owners rarely even take one.
Always have drill, grinder and multi tool which all share same battery on board with 2 large cap battery’s and spare charger always stays on board, can then deal with most stuff

Refueler

Visit site
OK on a steel deck but useless on a GRP or teak one as one would just push the wire through the GRP.
It is a bit like people saying they would cut anchor rodes etc. with an axe. Unless they have something solid to chop against it is a useless tool.

Hi DB ... I think we all know its not viable on a boat .. and you would be keel-hauled if you did on a steel deck !! There would be a protective layer before the angle iron used as block ...

The point was to illustrate my bit about Bolt Croppers being generally useless.

Refueler

Visit site
Always have drill, grinder and multi tool which all share same battery on board with 2 large cap battery’s and spare charger always stays on board, can then deal with most stuff

If its 12 - 15v ... you can always create a lead to power from on-board batterys. I did that with a drill - till someone borrowed and it went missing !!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
When cutting rigging wire with a hydraulic tool the action is infact a shearing action unlike a hacksaw or angle grinder.

The shear force of 316 stainless is about 50 000 psi so you need a tool that can exert that kind of force to the wire rope so the size of the tool will depend on the size of the wire rope

The hydraulic lug crimper will need a HT steel blade designed for shearing steel. and will need 2 hands to operate like any hand bolt cutters for the size of the wire rope you wish to cut

There are available battery powered shearing tools that like a battery angle grinder could be used single handed and if dripped would not damage the cutting parts and are less likely to injure the user.

Amazon.com

Makita Power Tools South Africa - 18V Cordless Brushless Steel Rod Cutter DSC163ZK

Makita Power Tools South Africa - 18V Cordless Brushless Threaded Rod Cutter DSC121ZK

Amazon.com

Daydream believer

Visit site
The point was to illustrate my bit about Bolt Croppers being generally useless.
I bought my bolt croppers after I tried them in the shop on rigging wire. They cut it with ease.So you need to hget better croppers. The cutters are used for nothing else so the blades are sharp & I have adjusted them to close right up. I keep them in holders on the back of one of the engine panels where the heat of the engine keeps them dry when the boat is in use. The panel is the one to the heads so when s..t happens- in a panic- one can use the heads then grab the cutters & get chopping. Well that is what I tell myself anyway. They have a cord fitted to one handle which goes around my wrist. Then when they go over the side they take me with them & I drown quicker due to the weight.
See-- carefully planned--- all issues catered for :rolleyes: :unsure:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
One thing that seems to have evaded those that have said they cut stainless rigging wire is that rigging wire quickly work hardens when in use and there is a world of difference between cutting new stainless rigging wire and stuff that has been on the boat for several years.
Try it.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
I don’t want to get into top trumps batteries but we carry four. Partly because I’ve got Makita drill, multi tool, jig saw, angle grinder, router and 1/2 drive rattle gun that all take the same batteries. They’re all usually fully charged.
It's like Pokémon, you've got to collect them all 🤣
I carry the drill, grinder, multi, circular saw, and sander.
I also have a hookah which uses Ryobi batteries, but thanks to an adapter I can run it off the Makita ones as well.

I nearly didn't bother bringing the circular saw but it does a great job of de-husking coconuts.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
When cutting rigging wire with a hydraulic tool the action is infact a shearing action unlike a hacksaw or angle grinder. ...

They all cut by shearing. Hacksaw and grinder just have smaller cutter faces shearing away metal.

I have a Toolova Shootit that uses small percussion caps to fire a blade onto the wire. I don't believe they are sold anymore, but they come up for sale from time to time. I need to actually inspect mine, as I have no idea if the percussion caps deteriorate over time eventually either not firing or firing with low force. I also have a Ding Dong hack saw and blades on the boat.

A couple of reviews of cutters below. YBW Crash Test Boat video is in the second link: -

Emergency Rigging Cutters - Practical Sailor
The Best Emergency Cutters for Standing Rigging? – Weathermuffin

rogerthebodger

Visit site
They all cut by shearing. Hacksaw and grinder just have smaller cutter faces shearing away metal.

There is a difference between a shearing action ans a cutting action as used by a hacksaw and grinder.

A shear is exceeding the shear strength of the material an does not remove any material at the cutting point.

A hacksaw nd grinder is removing material by a cutting action by removing small pieces of material at the cutting point.

With both grinding and sawing you are creating swarf which is created by the cutting action where as a shearing action does not create and swarf

This is the shearing process

shearing.png

This link explains the difference more

Sawing vs. Shearing – Metal Cutting Methods 101

rotrax

Visit site
There were some earlier detractors about cheap Re-bar cutters.

Obviously, without hardened cutting blades they would be less durable-and very possibly less effective-than the proper jobs with hardened cutting blades.

But then not many of us are going to keep a one job only tool on the boat that costs the thick end of 700 quid for an event that is unlikely to happen.

So, a cheap re-bar cutter might be a potential choice.

Especially, if like me you have worked out that cutting the brass/bronze bottle screw would be the way to go.

Just sayin........................................... ;) :cool:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
There is a difference between a shearing action ans a cutting action as used by a hacksaw and grinder. ...

There is no difference. I all cases material is sheared away from the main body. This was taught HND manufacturing processes, first year. Years later, the same was introduced when I drilled wells and selected drill bits, irrespective if it was a roller cone toothed bit that crushed rock or a PDC bit that milled the rock face, or diamond impregnated bits that ground rock. They all do the same job by shearing material away from the cutting face.

Your shearing blade, does the same, shears material away at the cutting face by yielding the material, as does the hack saw and the grinder.

Daydream believer

Visit site
There is a difference between a shearing action ans a cutting action as used by a hacksaw and grinder.

A shear is exceeding the shear strength of the material an does not remove any material at the cutting point.

A hacksaw nd grinder is removing material by a cutting action by removing small pieces of material at the cutting point.

With both grinding and sawing you are creating swarf which is created by the cutting action where as a shearing action does not create and swarf

This is the shearing process

shearing.png

This link explains the difference more

Sawing vs. Shearing – Metal Cutting Methods 101
But surely a hacksaw does work by shearing.
Each tooth shears a minute piece of metal away from the material to be separated.
If one were to look at an individual tooth it slides along a piece & the tooth shears away a tiny section of the product.
The tooth in front having removed a small portion allowing the following to remove a piece of similar depth.
With a circular saw blade the amount is greater because of the curvature of the blade.With a straight blade it is less.
Hence, the advice is for 3 teeth in the metal at a time, if possible, so that the teeth do not ride on the cut surface.
If the cutter in the above picture was followed by 30 moe it would be a saw blade & you would say it was cutting.
But it would be doing the same thing

Last edited: