Yellow Cards

• Thread starter Deleted User YDKXO
  • Start date
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Anorak question here. Are yellow cards from the group stages carried over to the knockout stages or not and if so what is the penalty for getting 2 yellow cards? I ask this 'coz there seems to be some confusion amongst the telly commentators. Before the Sweden match, the Beeb stated that Crouch and Gerrard were being left out to save them from getting a 2nd yellow card and thus miss the first knockout match but during the Holland-Argie match the ITV commentator stated that everybody started with a clean slate in the knockout stages
Anyone know what the correct situation is? I need to know whether to worry or not

benjenbav

Visit site
I think the position is that one yellow in the group stages is wiped off when the knockout rounds start but 2 yellows carries forward. That's why Svennis was trying to rest the players with one yellow, to reduce the risk of their getting a second.

benjenbav

Visit site
BTW it would be interesting if slates were wiped entirely clean at the end of the group stage. We might well have been treated to the sight of, say, John Terry walking up to Henrik Larson in the 91st minute and lamping him.

stevebrassett

Visit site
Yellow cards are not carried over, but suspensions are. I.e. A yellow card in the last two round robin games results in a suspension in the round of 16, but yellows in the last round robin and the round of 16 does not result in a suspension in the quarters.