YBW Fleet location

fireball

Visit site
He's right - I've got 4.7m/s and he's got 4.4 ......

makes all the difference ... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dipper

Visit site
Some interesting wiggles on your course earlier Brendan. Did you have to go round a semi submerged container? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am now sailing to get the best VMG as it is downwind all the way to the Canaries. In the short term, I may lose out but the wind is veering and those boats further out may find they get pushed too far. Both you and I are probably a bit too close inshore (at the moment) but with the wind shift we will have the opportunity to get further out.

The strategy is really difficult to predict even though this web site does provide lots of clues. I think that is what makes it a challenge. The VOR site sounds more like a traditional game catering for the masses where chance plays an equal or more role than skill. Running aground 20 miles off Morocco - what's that all about ?

Keep your eye on the wind shifts ahead (you may have already spotted them) which vary with both time and distance and try to use them to your advantage. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When Fireball overtakes me (as he will shortly), I suggest you appoint him as your new mentor.

Dipper

Visit site
Move the mouse cursor (the cross) over the screen and watch the blue figures in the black information bar at the top change showing you the wind direction and speed at that point. If you position the cursor on someone's boat, you can see their wind speed/direction at the time of the update. Note that this information only changes every time there's an update so it is instantly out of date. The same with the arrows - they are out of date. You can see this by comparing your own TWD (True Wind Direction) on your 'instruments' with the figure in blue when your cursor is over your boat. Unless the wind is steady or the weather has just updated, they will be different.

BrendanS

Visit site
The wiggles were me experimenting with increased boat speed over vmg, and seeing if I could gain a few places. It wasn't working, so I went back to a compromise which didn't see me losing places.

BrendanS

Visit site
Blimey, I'd totally missed that moving the cursor shows wind strength!

Too used to interpreting charts with with traditional barbed arrows, where the barbs show the strength.

BrendanS

Visit site
I've sailed dinghys and big boats, but never raced, this is all new learning experience.

Flippin good fun, but very frustrating that I couldn't keep my early lead.

By the time the race finishes, I might actually know what I'm doing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fireball

Visit site
This is nothing like racing I've ever done either ....

Dinghy racing is quite different and all about covering your opponent or sometimes taking a flyer, but it is all over in an hour or two and you don't have to plan for major windshifts (usually, although if you're sailing in a northerly when the sea breeze comes in then it can get quite interesting!)

Dipper

Visit site
If you scroll the weather forward, then the cursor gives you the predicted wind strength/direction figures anywhere on the course in the future. So you can scroll the weather forward 6 hours and put the cursor at the end of your red line and that is what the wind will be at that place and time assuming you are sailing a straight line.

The cursor also gives bearing and distance from your boat which saves using the ruler option.

BrendanS

Visit site
It's a shame you can sail through other boats. I think using colregs and racing rules, and shouting 'Water' etc at other boats would make it highly amusing! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dipper

Visit site
What could also add to the fun is if they could give each boat a pocket of dirty air to leeward of them so that you could blanket an opponent if they got too close to you. They could use the % performance figure to slow the affected boat down.

fireball

Visit site
Applying the colregs would be tricky as we're playing the navigators roll - so we call the course and sit back and have another coffee (actually, that's a good idea, only had 1 so far this morning) ...

I think the blanking idea might be good - depends on the resolution of the game - and for the most part you're not going to be 1-2 boat lengths away from another competitor ....

It's a blummin good little proggy - add to it the social element - group results - and it will be fantastic !!

Dipper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's a blummin good little proggy

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's kind of clean and crisp if that's the right description. It has everything I want and nothing I don't want. It's certainly a sailing (strategy) competition rather than just a game and you are rewarded or punished for your decisions. Of course there is an element of luck due to the weather but there is enough information available for players to influence the degree of luck they get.

fireball

Visit site
Sorry - went into programmer mode .... concentrating on getting past Dipper - although I'm actually clear ahead I'm further NW than he is .... even so, the gap is now 0.2Nm ......

Dipper - are you sure you cleared all that net?! or did the grappling hook get you ..... if it did, you better remove the bucket on the other end!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif