Yay - two alternative and completely seperate nav systems

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Thanks to GHA's help I now have a Raspberry Pi3 running Open Plotter with GPS and AIS on a 10 inch screen below and transmitting to an android on deck when needed; uses CM93.

Plus my old Think Pad running Open CPN with VMH charts with GPS and AIS on the chart desk for the detailed work.

And as electrical failure backup I have the old Garmin GPS and paper charts. Never believed I would say that. How times have changed!

All I have to do now is to fix in and clean up all the wiring :)

GHA

Visit site
200.gif

Yngmar

Visit site
That nicely covers the case of one or two of your navigation computers failing. It does not cover:

* False GPS data (accidental or intentional interference - an increasingly popular sport which is getting more and more affordable). You ought to have a GLONASS and Galileo receiver too (affordable USB ones available). Of course those can equally be messed with (Galileo is pushing for authentication for everyone though).

* Total electrical failure (such as the EMP caused by a lightning strike) - keeping handheld GPS and ample supply of spare batteries in Faraday cage (oven) can help with that.

* Total destruction of all satellite systems for the next couple decades. Then it's back to dead reckoning and astronavigation (which can be computer assisted though).

Just playing devil's advocate ;-)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
That nicely covers the case of one or two of your navigation computers failing. It does not cover:

* False GPS data (accidental or intentional interference - an increasingly popular sport which is getting more and more affordable). You ought to have a GLONASS and Galileo receiver too (affordable USB ones available). Of course those can equally be messed with (Galileo is pushing for authentication for everyone though).

* Total electrical failure (such as the EMP caused by a lightning strike) - keeping handheld GPS and ample supply of spare batteries in Faraday cage (oven) can help with that.

* Total destruction of all satellite systems for the next couple decades. Then it's back to dead reckoning and astronavigation (which can be computer assisted though).

Just playing devil's advocate ;-)
You forgot a solar flare of the magnitude of the Carrington Event, which would scupper GPS for its duration, and potentially damage satellites. This has a considerably higher likelihood than the Kessler Syndrome, I think.