YAPP ideas

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Winter's coming. Time to do some YAPPing. Here are some ideas...

1) A simpler cheaper 2-way Seatalk/NMEA-0183 bridge than the one Frank Wallenwein does at Gadgetpool...

http://www.gadgetpool.de/bestellen/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97/language/en

His is all singing and dancing, but quite a price at £200. I'm considering one that does all the basic messages but not the autopilot and waypoint stuff because it wouldn't fit in to a cheap PIC processor. Included would be wind, depth, boatspeed, GPS position, SOG, COG, log, trip, headings, rudder and temperature messages. Perhaps I could add the autopilot and waypoint messages if I moved to an ARM processor, but that's just duplicating Frank's device somewhat.

2) A 3 way NMEA-0183 multiplexer without any rate changing to keep it cheap - just 3 4800 baud inputs to to 1 output.

3) A wireless Seatalk autopilot remote version of this, so no dangly wires...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...ot-wired-remote-first-in-a-box&highlight=yapp

Just +/- 1 or 10 degrees controls.

4) Make a version of the Seatalk anchor watcher that has buttons and a 2 line display for configuration rather than doing it by a laptop/USB...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?371271-YAPP-Low-power-Seatalk-Anchor-Watcher&highlight=yapp

I found this device really useful when anchoring during the summer but changing the configuration values via the computer was a bit of a faff.

5) A 2 line Seatalk or NMEA-0183 repeater with 2 buttons that can be used to select which values you want to show, in a small enclosure with a 3D printed lid, like this...

4YmR0Ue.jpg

Any interest in any of those? Or any other ideas?

mickbond

Visit site
How about a device that read the seatalk 1 auto and standby commands from the ST60 autopilot controller and toggle a relay so that I could control the clutch of a below deck ram without having to change my spx5 wheelpilot controller?

prv

Visit site
There's one Seatalk gizmo I really want, though I can see why it might not be of interest to a trimaran sailor in Scotland :)

I have the depth alarm set at 1.5m below the keel, which is a compromise between adequate warning and avoiding constant false alarms in shallower areas. However, at most states of the tide there is less than 1.5m under me when approaching my home berth, and the same in some other harbours I might visit. So while I'm trying to manoeuvre the boat into position, the depth alarm is constantly going off, which is distracting. Pressing any button on the Seatalk instruments silences it, but only for thirty seconds or so.

What I want is a device with one button (actually, just a bare board with a pair of terminals, I'd want to provide my own box and button) which kills the depth alarm for a longer period, say ten minutes. Or possibly a switch, which kills it for as long as it's turned on (and I'd probably wire a flashing red LED into the other side of the switch, to warn that the alarm is disabled). I envisage "killing the depth alarm" actually consisting of responding to the "depth alarm" message with a "button pressed" one - maybe it'll make one beep before being killed but that's acceptable. Obviously another option would be to actually disable or alter the depth alarm settings, but that seems complicated and prone to accidentally leaving it disabled, especially since my next action after tying up is generally to kill the instrument power.

I might also be interested in another run of the wired autopilot control, sans box and with connections for my own buttons - especially if it had provision for +/- 10 buttons (the Raymarine wireless one has the same long-press idea as yours and I'm afraid I don't like it). Standby/auto button terminals would be nice too.

The final gadget on my wishlist is sadly outside your control - I want a remote "anchor dropped HERE" button for the anchor watch mode of my Vesper AIS display :)

Pete

Last edited:

lw395

Visit site
I think the gadget that makes a boat with high budget electronics stand out from 'normal' cruisers is the big repeater display under the boom.
I guess that's not easy to do in a daylight viewable display?
Reverse-engineer a kindle?

Another project might be better control of an autopilot. Always think mine is let down by software and control interface.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I an still interesting in the MOB tag system you developed but cannot currently find any more details like cost and how to obtain the hardware and software.

PM me if you cannot publish it here.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I think the gadget that makes a boat with high budget electronics stand out from 'normal' cruisers is the big repeater display under the boom.
I guess that's not easy to do in a daylight viewable display?
Reverse-engineer a kindle?

Another project might be better control of an autopilot. Always think mine is let down by software and control interface.

There was a very long thread on that ages ago by shaung. The problem is the plastic enclosure.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...rge-instrument-displays-mast-mount&highlight=

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
How about a device that read the seatalk 1 auto and standby commands from the ST60 autopilot controller and toggle a relay so that I could control the clutch of a below deck ram without having to change my spx5 wheelpilot controller?

I could make a one-off using a PCB from another project if the only alternative is silly money.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
What I want is a device with one button (actually, just a bare board with a pair of terminals, I'd want to provide my own box and button) which kills the depth alarm for a longer period, say ten minutes. Or possibly a switch, which kills it for as long as it's turned on (and I'd probably wire a flashing red LED into the other side of the switch, to warn that the alarm is disabled). I envisage "killing the depth alarm" actually consisting of responding to the "depth alarm" message with a "button pressed" one - maybe it'll make one beep before being killed but that's acceptable.

There's not much information on Thomas Knauf's Seatalk site about alarms and cancelling, so I'm not sure how to do that.

I might also be interested in another run of the wired autopilot control, sans box and with connections for my own buttons - especially if it had provision for +/- 10 buttons (the Raymarine wireless one has the same long-press idea as yours and I'm afraid I don't like it). Standby/auto button terminals would be nice too.

Still have some left from the original 10. Only made about 5 units. I won't be expanding the button count though as it wasn't popular.

prv

Visit site
I could make a one-off using a PCB from another project if the only alternative is silly money.

As far as I know, there is no similar alternative. The only option would be to buy a whole new autopilot controller. A standalone clutch relay listening to Seatalk is a clever idea.

Pete

Pladdatoo

Visit site
1,2 & 5 sounds interesting and useful and I would be interested.

iW 395's idea is of course the best,but let's not open up that long line of disappointment again shall we!

mickbond

Visit site

Yes please it would mean no new autopilot controller , no need for a rudder reference unit, would possibly require some FETs to cope with the extra drive current, and best of all no more plastic rattling noises in the cockpit.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
There was a very long thread on that ages ago by shaung. The problem is the plastic enclosure.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...rge-instrument-displays-mast-mount&highlight=

I could probably make some sealed plastic enclosures if you aren't talking large numbers. Aceata/Delrin/HDPE sheet, O ring seals, cable glands if required, Lexan Polycarbonate clear sections, etc. My battery & PLB canisters survive trips down to 100m+ so a sealed one for use at deck level shouldn't be too much of an issue using similar methods.

prv

Visit site
Yes please it would mean no new autopilot controller , no need for a rudder reference unit, would possibly require some FETs to cope with the extra drive current, and best of all no more plastic rattling noises in the cockpit.

A below-decks ram is definitely a great improvement. Last winter I fitted one in place of the wheel drive that Ariam came with, and it's far nicer. Steers better too due to the absence of backlash.

Are you sure you won't need a rudder reference though? We have one, and I think it's required in order to prevent the controller trying to drive the ram when it's already reached the end of its travel.

Pete

lw395

Visit site
That is a serious thread, I don't recall it from the time, perhaps I had proper work at the time.
Like DinghyMan, I can see ways around the housing.
I'm a bit out of date on displays though, I'll do a bit of research if I get chance.

EugeneR

Visit site
I would like a PIC with GSM/SMS interface that can:

1) detect digital open/close inputs e.g. bilge pumps, door alarms, etc
2) read analogue inputs e.g. battery power, temperature, etc
3) read data from I2C-based devices
4) send an SMS alert based on pre-set thresholds, either digital or analog
5) switch some digital outputs, maybe one or two relays, based on a SMS command/password or pre-configured thresholds

I think most people on here will be able to use such a device to "connect up" something that is useful for them: high water alert, bilge pump alert, heater on/of controller, intruder alarm, battery low alarm, automatic night light, etc.

It also opens the door for follow-on modules... more accurate temperatature sensors, humidity sensors, GPS receiver (e.g. tell you where the boat is anchored), sending pre-configured Seatalk commands, etc.

It also opens the door for smartphone apps to interface, via SMS for now, with things on the boat. I am sure there's someone who can create quite nice apps, on here?