Yanmar or Beta?

G

I intend to replace a 30 year old MD2B Volvo engine (~25hp) with either a Yanmar or Beta Engine in an Ohlson 35' (relatively heavy displacement yacht). Both do a 3 cylinder 28HP, and Beta do a 4 cylinder 35HP

1) Which brand is better?
2) Should I go for the extra HP and cylinder in the Beta engine?

Thanks for your help

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Just a matter of opinion, but I like the Beta units. Yanmar normally more expensive and no better. IMHO

<hr width=100% size=1>

Seafort

Visit site
I have the Beta and am quite impressed with it.

The 3 cylinder BD1005 is quoted as "28 BHP at 3600 rpm and 25 BHP at 3000 rpm".

The mountings are designed to make it easy to align (as a replacement engine), it also has a nice brass integeral oil change pump.

Apparently, Betas are used as tractor engines so spares are available easily from non-marine outlets. (I hope).

Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
DEFINATELY THE YANMAR, my gosh, have any of you lot ever LOOKED inside a BETA ???????
They will alst 5 minutes.

I would be tempted to rebuild the Volvo, but as an alternative, I wouldonly consider the YANMAR, the beta will de value your boat aprt from everything else.

<hr width=100% size=1>

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Boy, I think my friend, the one who owns a 22 year old Nanni(same base engine as Beta but marinised in France) should be told that his ultra reliable and raw water cooled on top of everything else ,engine,is not reliable at all and should have died at least 20 tears ago.The fact that he did almost 20 hours of motoring without using any oil at all must be pure luck.
I just put a BD722 on my boat and ,having already owned a Yanmar,can't see the diference in quality,the smoothness is impressive and the quality of build second to none.

<hr width=100% size=1>

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
Having spoken to and visted most of the engine makers to find a suitable replacement for the Albin Vega fleet I can safely say I am very impressed with the quality, after sales service, spares availability of BETA. We have now installed over seventy of the Betas (BZ482 & BD722) into the Vegas and have had almost no problems (apart from finger trouble and a leaky pipe). I can wholly reccomend Beta. Yes I do supply them to Vega owners but I have tried and seen the rest.....

<hr width=100% size=1>Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

ccscott49

Visit site
Yes, I have looked inside a Beta, whats your point? I can't see anything wrong or low quality about them atall and I've fitted a few, all are still running fine, with standard maintenace and yes, I do know a thing or two about diesel engines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsalt

Visit site
Nonsense, I've been inside several Beta's. They are well made (as are Yanmars), however because they have fresh water cooling, I would choose one over the Yanmar.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site
Such a damning post surely deserves some sort of explanation? Perhaps you had a bad experience with one in a previous boat? Or maybe you have not had experience of a Beta (Kubota - used in tractors and firehose appliances around the world) yourself, but a friend...?

I have a Beta, and have no reason to doubt it. Nor have I any particular reason to doubt any engine except perhaps Volvo, they seem to get a lot of stick, perhaps that is a numbers thing?

Please justify your comments, so as to enlighten the rest of us.

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all

dickh

Visit site
Why don't you like Yanmars? They can be got both Raw water cooled and heat exchanger cooled. Always go for the heat exchanger version, you can get hot water as well. My only experience of Yanmars was in a new narrow boat about 6 weeks ago - 28HP, heat exchanger cooled, started on the button every time, I was impressed. Only thing was it smoked a little for the first 5 minutes.
PS have you ever tried changing the impellor on a Yanmar?
The Beta is also a good engine, based on KUBOTA, used worldwide in Tractors and industrial applications. They only supply heat exchanger type, in my opinion the only way to go. I personally would go for the Beta with the Yanmar as a very close second.
Also consider spares prices, aftersales etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif