Yanmar 2GM20 any good?

Johnboy2004

Visit site
hello i am looking at buying a 21 foot second hand boat. she is powered by a yanmar 2gm 20.. is this engine powerful enough to move her along at a decent speed without over working the engine?

also id like to hear from someone that has a 2gm20 yanmar engine...

what are the most common faults with these engines?

the boat i am looking at has been lying idle on the water for 1.5 years , with no engine use except for ocasional engine starts..... would this have damaged the engine in any way? there is only 40 hrs on the engine and she is 4 years old....

what speed would i expect the 2gm20 to push this boat at? it is a displacement hull...
cheers for the help

Aardee

Visit site
Hi Johnboy,

Maybe not a true comparison, but I have a 2GM20 in my 30' fin keel ragboat (weight around 3.5 Tonnes). Max speed is a shade under 7 knots & she'll plod very happily at 6 - Once all the way back from Cherbourg on a fivers worth of fuel when the wind refused to come out to play!!

The 2GM20 is reliable (if looked after - usual caveat). Can't vouch for Dublin, but spares certainly aren't an issue for me on the South Coast.

Probably need a more knowledgable engineer than me for the definitive answer, but I'd imagine the engine will be ok as long as it's thoroughly checked & "lubed" before trying to fire it up.

I have full workshop manuals if you get stuck...

Cheers,

Graham.