YAMAHA2

Miker

Visit site
I am thinking of buying a Yamaha2 because of its weight and size, and the good reports in the PBO. But I am wondering about the suggestion that it is a tad underpowered. What I want is an outboard that I can safely put in a cockpit sail locker and that will push a 2 to 3 man inflatable. And not too expensive.

Views would be welcome.

Sammy

Visit site
I love my Honda 2 more push and although the write up was not good I cant fault it except bit noisy. Wouldnt go back to a 2 stroke.

G

After 6 years and several different dinghies, our yammy 2 is still going strong, it was second hand when we bought it, been used on a 10ft double skin Sportyak thing with up to 4/5 people plus kit, no problems although you do not quite" plane"

onenyala

Visit site
I have had a Mercury2.5 for 10 years which has pushed my Zodiac 2.8 to and fro my swinging mooring without too much trouble.
Things to watch are every couple of years take off the cylinder head and dig out the salt from the cooling jacket. No matter how careful you are washing it out in fresh water after use it still builds up.
The only other thing which I had was 2 spark plug failures.
Stuart Jones

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
The one I have came with the boat and I think that it was originally bought in the very early nineties. I use it regularly on a tiny Arimar inflatable rated for 3-persons. I have not had any trouble so far and I find in my case that the limitation is the inflatable. If I even approach maximum power I would get dollops of wet mediterranean over the bows. When the time comes for me to replace it - i.e. if someone nicks it - I would definitely go for the same.

Wally

ChrisJ

Visit site
No problems with the Y2. Starts when you expect - even the 75 year old Grandma and 6 year old kids can start it.
No problems with servicing or anything - clean the plugs and everything easy every year, and I send it back to an engineer once every 5 years just to get to the bits I don't see.
It seems to take the abuse well (the kids are now 15). Storage in the cockpit locker, with everything else piled on top or underneath or all around, doesn't seem to affect it.
Light weight for lifting on and off the yacht. Also for lifting the dinghy up the shore with the engine still on.
We use it for 2.5m hard dinghy with up to 5 on board (when going against the tide, its best to keep to the edges), or on a 2.7m inflatable with 3 on board.
Not too expensive.

Cheers, Chris