yachting magazines heading for extinction

saltwater_gypsy

www.saltwatergypsy.com
Isn't a basic problem that yachting is not part of cutting edge technology. What can you say that hasn't been said already .
I think you grow out of magazines like Yachting Monthly as your experience increases and you find that there are "repeat" articles.
My last purchase of YM was when there was a six page review of kettles and stove-top toasters.....yawn!!!!!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I say that because Yachting Monthly is a brand....

Yes, I think I liked it when it was a magazine, and lost interst when it turned into a brand.

And to answer the other one with the very long list of employees you will see that across that portfolio those names remain the same apart from the editorial which are of course different across each title.

As I said, I think this might be part of the problem.

There are actually more journalists than management..

Thank goodness for that. (I didn't get to where I am today without being wrong!)

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I was thoroughly put off to learn that YM no longer covers boats under 32 feet long as they are not thought to be suitable for serious cruising.

Sorry Ian, That's utter nonsense. :D

If it was true, why do we cover the Jester Challenge?

Go back, find the post and read it again. At the time YM and PBO were making a distinction over NEW boat tests, to prevent overlap on the NEW boat tests. There was never any mention of it effecting other content. Just NEW boats.

You seem to have overlooked a fundamental flaw in what you have perceived. The facts that 3 of the staff of YM own boats 32 ft or less and regularly do serious cruising.

If what you believe was editorial policy, don't you think that would be a tad hypercritical? :)

Last edited:

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
If it is

that is rather sad

and incredibly dozy of them

time they took on a few freelancers to widen their coverage

Dylan

Don't panic it's not true, do you think YM would stop writing about a core section of the magazine? A bit that 3 staff are actually doing? Nope, it's there to stay. YM does, and will continue to, cover all sizes of sailing.

Not that this point needs to be proved any more, but the Jan issue has a 31 footer on the cover ;)

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Sorry Ian, That's utter nonsense. :D

If it was true, why do we cover the Jester Challenge?

Go back, find the post and read it again. At the time YM and PBO were making a distinction over NEW boat tests, to prevent overlap on the NEW boat tests. There was never any mention of it effecting other content. Just NEW boats.

You seem to have overlooked a fundamental flaw in what you have perceived. The facts that 3 of the staff of YM own boats 32 ft or less and regularly do serious cruising.

If what you believe was editorial policy, don't you think that would be a tad hypercritical? :)

Thanks, guv. Happy to be corrected.

gmatkin

Visit site
And there's even a third answer - that the bosses concerned have already looked at the idea and come to the judgement ( thats what they are there for) that it wont work or wont give an acceptable return.

That can happen and does - but my point is that it isn't always so. Organisation managers don't always make the most helpful or sensible decisions, and I think we all know that egos and politics can often play a part. Isn't that the funny point at the heart of The Office that almost everyone recognises is true?

I've got some good stories to tell, as anyone would have after three decades of working in offices. Some of them are against myself. However, having chosen to leave management and stay out of it, I'm much less likely to get into David Brent-style undignified messes, and no longer have to defend decisions and orders from on high to staff. It's such a relief.

Gavin