Yacht choices...

Captain_Black

Visit site
Hello all,
I’m posting to ask for advice/resources for distilling my choice of boat from the squillions available.

I’m doing my homework right now to look for a suitable vessel as a full time live-aboard.

I’m looking for;
40-60ft LOA
Bridge clearance MUST be less than 59ft
Centre cockpit spacious aft owners cabin
W/ centreline island double bed

Short of traveling through every ad and ruling out contenders I’m wondering if there is a database available online somewhere to help narrow my choices a bit.

Cruising grounds will me mainly Europe/med, but would like to be able to make some blue water passages in a few years too.

When in the UK I’ll Be moored up in a Marina in the river Weaver and further downstream is the height restriction which means I must have an airdraft of no more than 59ft.

If anybody can off guidence it would be much appreciated ???

Tranona

Visit site
There is no database that you can search with the sort of parameters you have talked about. Air draft rarely features in published data though it might be in the original specs on individual boats.

Not sure whether having that constraint is a good idea as it will probably seriously limit your choice, but guess it depends on how important it is to get under the bridge in terms of the time you intend spending in the berth compared with your cruising time. You may have to accept that if you want a boat that size you can't use that berth.

You may find ketch rigs have shorter main masts, but very few have been built in the last 30 years or so, although Amel may be worth looking at.

BTW 40-60' is a huge range to start with - and you don't say what your budget is.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hello all,
I’m posting to ask for advice/resources for distilling my choice of boat from the squillions available.

I’m doing my homework right now to look for a suitable vessel as a full time live-aboard.

I’m looking for;
40-60ft LOA
Bridge clearance MUST be less than 59ft
Centre cockpit spacious aft owners cabin
W/ centreline island double bed

Short of traveling through every ad and ruling out contenders I’m wondering if there is a database available online somewhere to help narrow my choices a bit.

Cruising grounds will me mainly Europe/med, but would like to be able to make some blue water passages in a few years too.

When in the UK I’ll Be moored up in a Marina in the river Weaver and further downstream is the height restriction which means I must have an airdraft of no more than 59ft.

If anybody can off guidence it would be much appreciated ???
A 40ft yacht will have at least 17 meters mast height. Westerly Oceanlord is 17.5 meters.

Change your Port or you will have a crap sailing yacht.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Is that a tidal river? In which case you can add the fall to LW to the clearance at HAT. Might get you more options. As others have said an air draft under 60’ or 18m is hard to find on a boat of that size. The tidal range at Liverpool is significant.

Captain_Black

Visit site
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies ? I’ve been doing a bit more sifting through ads over the weekend and seems that the biggest I could hope to get (with airdraft under 59’) is going to be a 42ft yacht.

That’s big enough.

The particular place I plan to make berth is in the centre of the town where the majority of my family live.
And it will be nice to be able to keep a ‘home’ morning there. (Loose plan is summers there, and head south for winter)

Budget is flexible and have been looking at boats between £100-£250k (appreciate that’s big difference) just a matter of how soon I decide to ‘do it’ for now I’m doing my homework...

It seems that £100k would buy me a Hunter Passage 420 (favoured choice so far) but I’ve found conflicting information about the airdraft; some sites stating 61’ others stating 58½’

As for Weaver navigation, it flows into the Manchester ship canal and then has got several locks up stream before you’d get into the centre of Northwich.

You'll do well to get a 40' yacht up the Weaver. I struggled with a 30 footer drawing 1.7m.

Why did you struggle?
Water draft or air draft?

[3889]

Visit site
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies �� I’ve been doing a bit more sifting through ads over the weekend and seems that the biggest I could hope to get (with airdraft under 59’) is going to be a 42ft yacht.

That’s big enough.

The particular place I plan to make berth is in the centre of the town where the majority of my family live.
And it will be nice to be able to keep a ‘home’ morning there. (Loose plan is summers there, and head south for winter)

Budget is flexible and have been looking at boats between £100-£250k (appreciate that’s big difference) just a matter of how soon I decide to ‘do it’ for now I’m doing my homework...

It seems that £100k would buy me a Hunter Passage 420 (favoured choice so far) but I’ve found conflicting information about the airdraft; some sites stating 61’ others stating 58½’

As for Weaver navigation, it flows into the Manchester ship canal and then has got several locks up stream before you’d get into the centre of Northwich.

Why did you struggle?
Water draft or air draft?

Water draft. I'm assuming it's the same yard I used, J*****, who made very encouraging remarks regarding ease of access which turned out not to be entirely accurate. The Ship Canal are not exactly accommodating towards yachts, either, and ony accept them as it is required in their statute of establishment.
Despite its drawbacks and extra travel distance Fiddler Ferry Yacht Haven is a better bet IMO, even if you live in Northwich.

Last edited:

Captain_Black

Visit site
Water draft. I'm assuming it's the same yard I used, J*****, who made very encouraging remarks regarding ease of access which turned out not to be entirely accurate. The Ship Canal are not exactly accommodating towards yachts, either, and ony accept them as it is required in their statute of establishment.
Despite its drawbacks and extra travel distance Fiddler Ferry Yacht Haven is a better bet IMO, even if you live in Northwich.

I am planning to live on the boat full time (year round) Northwich in summer, cruising warmer regions in winter.
That Marina you refer to is seemingly deserving of its reputation and unless I had no other choice I wouldn’t use them for anything.

I’m planning to make berth in the new Marina in the centre of Northwich (adjacent to the new Waitrose).
Lovely facilities, lovely people too �� (had my narrowboat there for a while before I sold it).

[3889]

Visit site
I am planning to live on the boat full time (year round) Northwich in summer, cruising warmer regions in winter.
That Marina you refer to is seemingly deserving of its reputation and unless I had no other choice I wouldn’t use them for anything.

I’m planning to make berth in the new Marina in the centre of Northwich (adjacent to the new Waitrose).
Lovely facilities, lovely people too �� (had my narrowboat there for a while before I sold it).
Then best of luck. I wasn't aware there was a new marina in the town.
As you may know, the Leigh Arms at Acton Bridge makes an excellent lunch stop during the passage from Marsh Lock to Northwich. Dawdling there does aggravate the bridge /lock team though, who shadow you in a van en route.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

Making a round trip every Autumn/Spring to and from the Canaries/Med is a huge commitment in terms of wear and tear on teh boat and time.

Easier to keep two boats, one at home and one abroad?

- W

Tranona

Visit site
Making a round trip every Autumn/Spring to and from the Canaries/Med is a huge commitment in terms of wear and tear on teh boat and time.

Easier to keep two boats, one at home and one abroad?

- W

Exactly what I was thinking. You need to go to at least the Algarve to get winter sailing on mainland Europe and even then it is fairly restricted.

I suppose OK if it is the long passages that are the attraction, but winter in the western Med is pleasant for living but not for continuous sailing

NOHOH

Visit site
Go for a ketch.....rig spread between two masts ...therefore main mast is shorter......An Ideal versatile cruising rig

Tranona

Visit site
Go for a ketch.....rig spread between two masts ...therefore main mast is shorter......An Ideal versatile cruising rig

So ideal that almost nobody chooses it these days. I did suggest that earlier as an answer to the air draft requirement but pointed out that virtually no ketches had been built in the last 30 years - even Amel have stopped making them.

Appreciate you own one, but the OP will have difficulty in meting his other requirements, never mind actually finding a decent ketch for sale.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
So ideal that almost nobody chooses it these days. I did suggest that earlier as an answer to the air draft requirement but pointed out that virtually no ketches had been built in the last 30 years - even Amel have stopped making them.

Appreciate you own one, but the OP will have difficulty in meting his other requirements, never mind actually finding a decent ketch for sale.

Henri Amel only built ketches. Good cruising boats too. More Amels have circumnavigated than any other make. As a % of total build.

Tranona

Visit site
Henri Amel only built ketches. Good cruising boats too. More Amels have circumnavigated than any other make. As a % of total build.

I know that, which is why I am pointing out that their latest boats are not ketches. Ketches died for most when better sail handling came in and removed the one advantage of smaller, more manageable sails if relying on simple manual gear.

Heckler

Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. You need to go to at least the Algarve to get winter sailing on mainland Europe and even then it is fairly restricted.

I suppose OK if it is the long passages that are the attraction, but winter in the western Med is pleasant for living but not for continuous sailing
Indeed, Gibraltar/LaLinea was positively cold this January. The electric bill for the fan heater for 3 weeks was €60.
Albufeira was warmer two years previously but not what you would call hot! Also the valid points about getting the boat to the Med for the winter. Its 1300 miles to the Algarve and took us the thick end of four weeks, ok, marina hopping and taking our time. Also he has to bear in mind insurance quibbles, ours say a big no after Oct for Biscay

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
The nearest place with reliable Winter sailing is the Canaries, and the sailing here isn't for everyone - passages of 60nm or more between the islands, strong winds and few sheltered anchorages in Winter.

- W

capnsensible

Visit site
The nearest place with reliable Winter sailing is the Canaries, and the sailing here isn't for everyone - passages of 60nm or more between the islands, strong winds and few sheltered anchorages in Winter.

- W

Agree about the winds but 60 miles between islands is incorrect.

Good news too is that electricity is not metered in the marina my yacht is in!