Yacht breaks up off Anvil Point

jonathankent

Visit site
Re: Womenn Drivers ...

If the conditions were so... why were they that close inshore... surely a yacht of that should easily be able to deal with the conditions and go a little more offshore where it might be a little more forgiving???

Even if 'she' wasn't competent, thats not really an excuse for him... he should have taken more responsibility in the conditions, or not sailed at all - does he really know what he was doing??

Both as bad as each other

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com

Wonder why they weren't using that tireless crew member - the autohelm?

I would love to hear the conversation that starts - "I told you to ...."

rwoofer

Visit site

Or maybe they thought it was on, but wasn't. I've sometimes engaged Auto and boat continues on Ok for about a minute and then luffs - only then I realise the autopilot has not actually been engaged.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
What a plonker!

Brand new 250K Benny Oceanis 473 - bought 2 weeks earlier.

Skipper's previous sailing experience to date....

wait for it...

5 days Comp Crew!!!

Thank God no-one was hurt; and with any luck it will keep the prat of the water for good!

starboard

Visit site
I would have guessed a pot rope round the prop or rudder for things to go wrong that fast close inshore.......the film on sky filmed from the fast cat "Condor" looked pretty interesting, a good lesson in how to veer down on a casualty by the Swanage ILB...........a good job well done by Condor, RNLI and HMCG lee on Solent S61.

Paul.

Benbow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
a good lesson in how to veer down on a casualty by the Swanage ILB...

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the other end attached to ?

bigwow

Visit site
Re: What a plonker!

He's on a very steep learning curve after his 1 week course, wonder what experience he told his insurance Co he had

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe they thought it was on, but wasn't. I've sometimes engaged Auto and boat continues on Ok for about a minute and then luffs - only then I realise the autopilot has not actually been engaged.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you refer to the feeble Raymarine Autohelm engage bleep then I know exactly what you mean. I almost pranged another boat in the marina after I thought I had engaged the auto pilot and my boat wandered off course.

Evadne

Visit site

I wouldn't be too harsh on him, there but for the grace of God go us, well me to be more precise. The best way to learn is by making mistakes, its just that they're not usually quite as spectacularly bad.
I had a similarly typical "what else can go wrong" trip in my first season of boat ownership, and skipperdom, on about our fourth trip out (2nd crossing from Rye to Bologne). Fortunately east coast mud is more forgiving than the rocks of Anvil point, and we had more sea room. Mind you, my boat was (is) half the size and a tenth of the cost of his, but that probably had little bearing on the outcome.

Sans Bateau

Visit site

Hang on Dave, dont be too generous, they spent the night in Lulworth; not the place to be with any any S in the wind. The wind backed to SW 6 - 7 Sunday night/Monday morning. Didnt he listen to a forcast either?

In a 6 -7 the last place you want to be is inshore. Yes there is a 'safe' route inshore around St Albans, but not in a blow. He should have been 3 - 4 miles off shore. If he was heading for the Solent at 0800 he was about 2 hours after LW for Lulworth, he would of wanted the biggest 'lift' from the tide as possible to avoid an ebb at Hurst.

mtettmar

www.mjtnet.com

It's certainly all quite hard to believe! I just hope there was some other contributing factor, such as gear failure, that we don't know about yet, rather than just a plain lack of common sense!

bigwow

Visit site

I learned to sail in a dinghy then mooved on to bigger and better boats, and it was quite a while before I had the confidence to be on my own with only non sailers aboard. I admit to running amuck a few times but it has always been on a rising tide and half expected, I would not do the same with a rocky outcome. He had more money than sense if you ask me

Bergman

Visit site

Yes thats right

Just heard the BBC say it was all down to a woman driver - so it must be true.

The monstrous regiment are quiet at the moment

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
On autopilot in a marina ?????

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite. Just outside single handling setting up fenders and warps. The auto pilot should have pointed me up the channel outside at a speed of 2 knots. When I looked up to check progress I was about 5 seconds away from making an expensive dent in the sides of a cat with tower-block like topsides.

There have been other occasions when I failed to notice the Autohelm's failure to engage auto mode. I wonder if the product engineers get out of the lab, for example when I quizzed a Raymarine engineer recently about how a C80 display resolves the discrepancy between a Radar and AIS contact he frowned and said "I don't think our lab simulator generates that situation". Doh!

jimi

Visit site

Erm I did similar when I whacked a pile, learnt my lesson. My autopilot lever does'nt always stay down and I use a bit of bungee round the lever to keep it engaged.