WTF are people paying £60k for a camper van with 100k miles on the clock? And a decent Westerly is under £15k 😀

Scomber

Visit site
Been put off the full campervan experience over here. Roads usually busy , everyman and his dog getting one. And i imagine its a 'mine's bigger or newer than yours' carry on. Espec vw's. Don't seem to matter with the boat.

Momac

Visit site
I am not sure campervans with 100k on the clock are all that common and an old one with high mileage is likely to be a lot less money than £60k as you can get a new one for about that money.
1689664674358.png

dunedin

Visit site
Your link seems to contradict your thread title assertion - lots of high mileage van conversions but at much lower prices, and a new 23 registration with just 100 miles for £64k.
There is a thriving trade and DIY sector converting ex-panel vans, and these will likely be the high mileage ones. As others have said, few motor homes built and registered from new as that have high mileages. Most suffer from lack of regular use and over low mileage.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Emissions? Will they be able to tour the EU once the rumoured regs come into being?
Lots of people do not tour the EU, but still want the ability. Bit like the ability of yachts to cross oceans.
Authorities are just as likely to pick on "wealthy" camper van owners as they might non EV vehicle owners.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Been put off the full campervan experience over here... its a 'mine's bigger or newer than yours' carry on. Espec vw's. Don't seem to matter with the boat.

You've been lucky. As well travelled/livaboard sailors in relatively small boats, that was something we regularly encountered, though to be fair, it most often came from other UK flagged vessels, rather than Jonny -Foreigners, they usually tended to be... encouraging, even impressed by our efforts rather than derogatory or disbelieving.
We resigned from the Cruising Association as a result of one too many such incidents: A chap on a very nice 50 footer gestured toward the burgee on our 27' Vega and advised 'That's a CA burgee... for members only'; when I replied that we were CA members he looked at both us and the boat like we were dog shit on his shoe, then walked away without another word. I think what especially galled me was that I'd assumed he was stopping by to say 'thank you'; we'd just spent the previous half hour helping he and his equally inept crew to berth in that windy little harbour on the NE corner of Zakynthos.

Martin_J

Visit site
What baffles me is why so many of those for sale are 'conversions' and were not originally built as a camper van..

As a family we grew up with a VW T2 and went on many holidays in it and that is what it was designed for.. It was surprisingly worth more after forty years than it was when new in 1972..

Martin_J

Visit site
Regarding conversion of a van into a camper van.. I often thought self converted vans cost more to insure (if a company will even provide insurance).

Just checked what's needed to get the V5 updated... After all the bits about having to have cooker, bed, table etc individually fastened down, I came across the surprising list of other requirements..

Motor caravan style graphics on both sides of the van!!!!! And I thought the people converting them were just trying to be stylish :/

Screenshot_20230718-221131_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230718-221216_Samsung Internet.jpg

V1701

Visit site
What baffles me is why so many of those for sale are 'conversions' and were not originally built as a camper van..

As a family we grew up with a VW T2 and went on many holidays in it and that is what it was designed for.. It was surprisingly worth more after forty years than it was when new in 1972..
The cost of new coachbuilt (caravan-like) constructed on a van chassis "motorhomes" is pretty eye-watering and new professional van conversions aren't much cheaper. I lived in an older coachbuilt motorhome for a year as an experiment when I was between boats. Re self-builds I'm pretty sure insurance is cheaper when the vehicle goes from commercial to campervan and that's why they bother. I'd quite like to do a van from scratch as a project at some point, or maybe a narrowboat...

Sianna

Visit site
we got rid of our T5 camper, bloody awful thing, £30k for a tiny van with transforms into a bedroom, hmm I'd much rather have the boat

Star-Lord

Visit site
You've been lucky. As well travelled/livaboard sailors in relatively small boats, that was something we regularly encountered, though to be fair, it most often came from other UK flagged vessels, rather than Jonny -Foreigners, they usually tended to be... encouraging, even impressed by our efforts rather than derogatory or disbelieving.
We resigned from the Cruising Association as a result of one too many such incidents: A chap on a very nice 50 footer gestured toward the burgee on our 27' Vega and advised 'That's a CA burgee... for members only'; when I replied that we were CA members he looked at both us and the boat like we were dog shit on his shoe, then walked away without another word. I think what especially galled me was that I'd assumed he was stopping by to say 'thank you'; we'd just spent the previous half hour helping he and his equally inept crew to berth in that windy little harbour on the NE corner of Zakynthos.
The CA are a horrible bunch. I’m a member but. They wasted a fortune on Captains Mate App because they think Navily is unreliable because’anyone’ can post details. As to your Alvin Vega story… the man doesn’t know his boats LOL.

guardian

Visit site
Van prices have simmered down considerably from the last couple of years, after my Centaur project went south I converted my work van into a campervan and never looked back. Packed in work and went mobile, never thought I'd retire at 48 but here we are.

Its way cheaper than a boat, considerably cheaper than a house given the cost of living crisis and a different view everyday if you want.

Mine (lwb sprinter) cost £10k to convert to fully off grid, washing machine and tumble dryer onboard, over size fuel and water tanks, 600ah of self built lithium batteries and a roof full of solar (600w), never had a need to plug in to shore power even when it's been available.

I'm More than happy to sit out the coming financial collapse from the van knowing how little my outgoings are relative to owning a place. Fwiw all through the west country, Wales and the lake District where I've been this year are a striking number of for sale boards that weren't there last year.

I guess the air BnB/second homes are proving costly now interest rates are reverting to mean, regarding £60k for 100k mile camper, even if that statement were true you'd be a fool to buy it..........

The reason why sail boats are cheap is nobody after and including gen x wants them, they're not fashionable, take skill to operate, multi-year time commitment to maintain and that's before we get to the financial suicide of ownership, especially with certain models.

I've said it here many times, once the boomers are gone it'll be a symphony of chainsaws around the coastline of this fair isle, especially now the eco-botherers have cottoned on to the problem of GRP disposal.

Plus with a labour govt almost certain to take power at the next election, expect extra costs and regulations regarding boating and the disposal of craft which all adds up to people looking for easier more cost effective hobbies like van life.

Remember demographics are destiny..........................

Ta tar

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site
Van prices have simmered down considerably from the last couple of years, after my Centaur project went south I converted my work van into a campervan and never looked back. Packed in work and went mobile, never thought I'd retire at 48 but here we are.

Its way cheaper than a boat, considerably cheaper than a house given the cost of living crisis and a different view everyday if you want.

Mine (lwb sprinter) cost £10k to convert to fully off grid, washing machine and tumble dryer onboard, over size fuel and water tanks, 600ah of self built lithium batteries and a roof full of solar (600w), never had a need to plug in to shore power even when it's been available.

I'm More than happy to sit out the coming financial collapse from the van knowing how little my outgoings are relative to owning a place. Fwiw all through the west country, Wales and the lake District where I've been this year are a striking number of for sale boards that weren't there last year.

I guess the air BnB/second homes are proving costly now interest rates are reverting to mean, regarding £60k for 100k mile camper, even if that statement were true you'd be a fool to buy it..........

The reason why sail boats are cheap is nobody after and including gen x wants them, they're not fashionable, take skill to operate, multi-year time commitment to maintain and that's before we get to the financial suicide of ownership, especially with certain models.

I've said it here many times, once the boomers are gone it'll be a symphony of chainsaws around the coastline of this fair isle, especially now the eco-botherers have cottoned on to the problem of GRP disposal.

Plus with a labour govt almost certain to take power at the next election, expect extra costs and regulations regarding boating and the disposal of craft which all adds up to people looking for easier more cost effective hobbies like van life.

Ta tar
Gosh, I thought I'd accidentally clicked through to the house price crash forum...! 😀

V1701

Visit site

Ta tar
Well you beat me to it I'm already 57 & still working. Been living on boats last 13 years, now on number 6 I've usually made a bit when I've sold them on. I did try a camper for a year just to see when I was between boats, a coachbuilt, all I did was put a couple of big solar panels on the roof and added a couple of extra house batts. It worked surprisingly well the coachbuilts being well insulated & double glazed but if I was going FT I'd favour something like your set up for obvious reasons. Vans are without doubt cheaper & easier than boats...