Would you still live aboard?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
We have been living aboard and cruising for the last 5 years but I have to say we have it easy.
Looking back at those intrepid sailors of the past who lived aboard without electronics, mobile phones, pilot books and the internet I can do nothing but admire them. They were all heroes.
Would you still live aboard and cruise without electronics or without knowing about your family back home for months on end?

Berners Lee.jpg

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I forgot about that. Of course in those times ATM's did not exist.
I wonder if someone will look back in 50 years and wonder how we managed to sail today.

SHUG

Visit site
I remember being a sweltering phone kiosk, nearly running out of coins ,two people waiting outsisde and having a heated "discussion" with the Inland Revenue about my Tax Return.
All before the dubious joys of e-mail

PS YES

Tony Cross

Visit site
We have been living aboard and cruising for the last 5 years but I have to say we have it easy.
Looking back at those intrepid sailors of the past who lived aboard without electronics, mobile phones, pilot books and the internet I can do nothing but admire them. They were all heroes.
Would you still live aboard and cruise without electronics or without knowing about your family back home for months on end?

I probably would but I'm pretty sure SWMBO would not!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
The principals don't change, just the technology; we regularly enquire from/advise people heading in the opposite direction where to find good/reliable/cheap wifi or internet connections. When we were motorcycling across Asia thirty years ago it was just the same, except that we were exchanging info about decent/reliable places for post-restante and making international phone calls.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We left Les Aves a Venezuelan out island at night and had a total power faiure, no deck lights, no nav lights, no instruments and no engine heading to Bonaire. We could see Venus, that follows the sun, the Pole star and the Southern cross and Bonaire was due east. It is a very interestig thing do and good experience and we arrived in Bonaire and picked up a buoy under sail. I also helped deliver out boat with the new owner from Lymington to Scarboroughwithout using any GPS wapoints. It is possible to sail without any nav aids and it's fun trying it.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Kellys Eye, I totally agree that from time to time you should navigate by traditional methods to keep the ideas fresh and for events like you had.
The point really though is if you had to do it everywhere, if you had no phone, no internet, no real pilot books and the only way of making contact was by landlines or snail mail would you still live aboard and go long distance cruising?

rigman

Visit site
Read the Hiscocks books on Wanderer. Or the Smeetons. They managed OK long distance.

We used to sail all round the Med/NW Europe in the 1980's without Internet, phones GPS, Navtex. Facebook blogs and all the other stuff. Maybe phoned relatives once every 6 weeks or sent a postcard. We were happy enough. Probably happier.

capnsensible

Visit site
Kellys Eye, I totally agree that from time to time you should navigate by traditional methods to keep the ideas fresh and for events like you had.
The point really though is if you had to do it everywhere, if you had no phone, no internet, no real pilot books and the only way of making contact was by landlines or snail mail would you still live aboard and go long distance cruising?

Got the t shirt.

Finding a copy of the Daily Express only two days old was a treat. Could always find footie in a bar tho.

:cool:

dslittle

Visit site
Got the t shirt.

Finding a copy of the Daily Express only two days old was a treat. Could always find footie in a bar tho.

:cool:

Ahhh. The old Champions League tour of Southern Spain springs to mind!!!

As recently as the time that Micheal Jackson died, we were five weeks behind the news. Arrived back to UK to incessant Micheal Jackson records. Didn't realise why until the next day...