Women Skippers

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Standing on the quay at Exmouth as a coaster was outward bound and for some reason I was mildly surprised as a woman stepped out of the wheelhouse and bellowed an order in a strange language,that was in the 70snow women are everywhere taking charge…..except on the British cruising yacht😂
Gosh that was some time ago, Exmouth has not been a commercial port for over 30 years. It is now a small marina.

Some of the best skippers I've sailed with are female, one has sailed in both Artic and Antarctic waters. Her simple description of astronavigation and recommendation of a book got me picking up a sextant again.

Wansworth

Visit site
Gosh that was some time ago, Exmouth has not been a commercial port for over 30 years. It is now a small marina.

Some of the best skippers I've sailed with are female, one has sailed in both Artic and Antarctic waters. Her simple description of astronavigation and recommendation of a book got me picking up a sextant again.
Well looks like my post is having a positive effect ,bringing out to the fore women skippers 🙂……yes it must have been late 1970s when I saw it still as a commercial port

capnsensible

Visit site
Ok put to a vote,how many of the forum give sole command of their craft to their wife.
When Mrs S did her ocean qualifying passage, she took our liveaboard home/yacht from Gib to the Canaries with a couple of friends.

At that time I was delivering a 65 foot motor boat from Mallorca to Lanzarote which involved lots of stops and a zillion litres of diesel. I think that she got the best trip. :)

Wansworth

Visit site
When Mrs S did her ocean qualifying passage, she took our liveaboard home/yacht from Gib to the Canaries with a couple of friends.

At that time I was delivering a 65 foot motor boat from Mallorca to Lanzarote which involved lots of stops and a zillion litres of diesel. I think that she got the best trip. :)
So that’s one err female capitán!

Wansworth

Visit site
Mine does all the time. I don’t find that weird at all. I find it weird that you find it weird.
Well obviously times have changed in the Uk as30 years ago I recall clearly mostyachts were helmed by men who not infrequently shouted at their soul mate to do something up in the bows,here in Galicia it’s mostly men at the helm,what can I say🤔

veshengro

Visit site
Unless there has been a pre voyage change in command the lady " Skipper" of HMNZS Manawanui has some questions to answer.
She's a Commander actually, and as nobody knows reasons/cause yet, no blame should be inferred.