Wiring an adapter for red 5 pin to blue 3 pin shore power

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
At a marina in Croatia recently the only power sources on the quay were 16a and 32a red 5 pin sockets. I would like to make an adapter to coverts 5 pin to 3 pin blue.
I doubt that the supply is 3 phase, but how do I check?
How do I wire a 5 pin male plug with earth, neutral and live cable?
Thanks
TS

Irish Rover

Visit site
At a marina in Croatia recently the only power sources on the quay were 16a and 32a red 5 pin sockets. I would like to make an adapter to coverts 5 pin to 3 pin blue.
I doubt that the supply is 3 phase, but how do I check?
How do I wire a 5 pin male plug with earth, neutral and live cable?
Thanks
TS
I had to buy a 5 pin red plug in Ikaria a few weeks ago and, as far as I'm remember, there were 3 x positive terminals and a neutral and earth. I connected the latter 2 and just 1 of the positives and it worked fine.

andsarkit

Visit site
The pins should be marked.
Just connect one of the L1,L2 or L3 phases to the L of the single phase blue socket. Neutral and protective earth as marked. Leave the other 2 phases disconnected.
1687799924286.png

andsarkit

Visit site
I hope you have access to a multimeter to check that you have 240V at the blue socket before plugging in the boat electrics. I would never completely trust the wiring on the existing supply. Putting 415V onto your boat could be expensive.

Neeves

Visit site
Oddly, or I think it odd being a recent immigrant, many domestic houses here are supplied with 3 phase, our house and the houses either side are all 3 phase. This might be useful when we all have electric cars.

In the meantime be very carefull of the 2 pins of the 2 phases you are not to use. Ideally I think you want to remove the pins completely.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
Oddly, or I think it odd being a recent immigrant, many domestic houses here are supplied with 3 phase, our house and the houses either side are all 3 phase. This might be useful when we all have electric cars.

In the meantime be very carefull of the 2 pins of the 2 phases you are not to use. Ideally I think you want to remove the pins completely.

Jonathan

The pumps we used for additives into fuel were often 1 phase - but on site we only rec'd 3 phase. It was a simple matter to use a 3 phase plug and a 1 phase suitable cable into it.
In fact what we did after we were in a few locations where 1 phase was available ... we created a 3 to 1 adapator. 3 phase plug as before to 3 phase on site - a single phase cable out of it to a typical blue single phase item.

No need to remove any pins as they were not open to be touched - they were inside plug same as if they were used.

Having the adaptor meant we were ready for any job .... single of 3 phase.

VicS

Visit site
No need to remove any pins as they were not open to be touched - they were inside plug same as if they were used.
I assume Neeves suggested removing the unused pins was to avoid the possibility that someone in the future might incorrectly re-wire the plug and deliver 415 volts to the boat..