Wing mirrors

lustyd

Visit site
What would also be good is reversing lights on the stern. For busy places with locks and bridges to wait for. Maybe indicators too while we're at it.
I know you were probably joking, but having been in Port Solent with a lock for many years that's not such a daft idea!

Adios

Visit site
I know you were probably joking, but having been in Port Solent with a lock for many years that's not such a daft idea!
A bit tongue in cheek on the indicators but it first occurred to me we could do with a reversing light going through the canals in Friesland with a lot of boats waiting between a series of bridges. Unless someone ahead makes a big change with some wash showing we had no way of knowing when they put their engine in reverse and all the boats bunch up with the time it takes to notice.

Actually one dutch skipper reversed back past me and started shouting abuse at me I guess because I was jumping the queue by staying still and he didn't realise he was going backwards or he expected everyone else to go backwards too to maintain the order? Still puzzled by that TBH.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
A bit tongue in cheek on the indicators but it first occurred to me we could do with a reversing light going through the canals in Friesland with a lot of boats waiting between a series of bridges. Unless someone ahead makes a big change with some wash showing we had no way of knowing when they put their engine in reverse and all the boats bunch up with the time it takes to notice.

Actually one dutch skipper reversed back past me and started shouting abuse at me I guess because I was jumping the queue by staying still and he didn't realise he was going backwards or he expected everyone else to go backwards too to maintain the order? Still puzzled by that TBH.
3 short blasts would have done the job.

capnsensible

Visit site
Moving away from the helm while docking is a genius idea. I’ll let the boat steer and control the throttle while heading towards a pontoon ?
Unless you are in a wheelchair and wearing a neck brace it's very easy to move around both sides of a wheel and a tiller to see where the boat is going. It's a common problem amongst beginners that they stay rigidly behind the helm, like in a car, and wonder why it goes wrong.

Moving around to look over the side, watching easy transits, watching the swing of the bow or stern, judging speed by looking at right angles to the boat, etc etc are all swept up to make a competent sailor. You can spend a while watching those in marinas that bring it all together and the flappers.

Practice makes it sooo much easier. ?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Moving away from the helm while docking is a genius idea. I’ll let the boat steer and control the throttle while heading towards a pontoon ?

That's how I do it solo.
As many have said, it is all about moving your body and looking. I usually am in neutral for that last 100m with just a "splurge" of reverse if I am not stopped at the cleat where I drop my spring line over it, then into tickover to bring the boat quietly alongside.

These "throttle jockeys" worry me after one of them almost T-Boned my boat and the one in the next berth!

lustyd

Visit site
Unless you are in a wheelchair and wearing a neck brace it's very easy to move around both sides of a wheel and a tiller to see where the boat is going. It's a common problem amongst beginners that they stay rigidly behind the helm, like in a car, and wonder why it goes wrong.

Moving around to look over the side, watching easy transits, watching the swing of the bow or stern, judging speed by looking at right angles to the boat, etc etc are all swept up to make a competent sailor. You can spend a while watching those in marinas that bring it all together and the flappers.

Practice makes it sooo much easier. ?
I feel like you've misunderstood the thread. I can absolutely dock my boat just fine thanks. A good skipper knows how to do things, a great skipper looks for ways to improve things. I can also park my car without mirrors, but you know what? I use them anyway because it's easier and better. It's very naive to think that leaving the helm is as good as staying there if there's an option. Having a way to see while also being able to control speed and direction is obviously better. We're starting to see all major MFD manufacturers add cameras to the range and before long I'd expect them to be standard, but mirrors would do a great job regardless.

lustyd

Visit site
As many have said, it is all about moving your body and looking. I usually am in neutral for that last 100m with just a "splurge" of reverse if I am not stopped at the cleat where I drop my spring line over it, then into tickover to bring the boat quietly alongside.

These "throttle jockeys" worry me after one of them almost T-Boned my boat and the one in the next berth!
Others have certainly tried to explain the status quo, yes. It's surprising how few people are open to new ideas on the forum.

lustyd

Visit site
Perhaps you have an infinite capacity to be surprised? ;-)
I just think it would be a bit dull if every forum post resulted in one response explaining the correct way things are done with no opportunity for advancement. If that were the case we may as well compile it into a book and call it "The Complete Yachtmaster" so people didn't need to discuss ways to improve things.

capnsensible

Visit site
I saw a tops system in use quite a few years ago on a Sunseeker targa 56. The owner, a friend of mine, had a control box. He could lounge on the side deck and control engines rudder and thruster. Cool. As his kids got older, his 15 year old (at the time) could do it too.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Others have certainly tried to explain the status quo, yes. It's surprising how few people are open to new ideas on the forum.
I was responding to your statement about installing wing mirrors. People have been moving boats for thousands of years had wing mirrors been needed they would have been fitted as standard by now. The challenge with Internet Forums is you can only respond to what is written, not that the author was thinking.

From time to time I get to watch some big ships come alongside in Plymouth. Currently Pacific Constructor (LOA 115m beam 22m) is alongside not far from my berth. Not only do they not have wing mirrors but also a helicopter deck that juts out over the bridge to the bow - a very odd looking vessel. The skill that the pilots, skippers and helms have on these ships always amazes me and I wonder how they do it. Do they have millimeter precision on their GPS systems or perhaps a special high powered forward and sideways looking radar? I've seen no evidence of that. I am pretty sure they use the Mark I eyeball and some reference points (for me it is when the last pile lines up with the green door to make my last turn). If they can do it I am sure we can move our wee sailing boats without looking like an "ageing mod" on a scooter.

lustyd

Visit site
had wing mirrors been needed they would have been fitted as standard by now.
You could say that about a lot of things. We started fitting engines a while ago after thousands of years, we started carrying clocks and sextants. Everything on your boat was new at some stage. They aren't needed on cars either, but many of us like to use them as it's easier and better.

zoidberg

Visit site
I wonder how they do it. Do they have millimeter precision on their GPS systems

You may find they use the self-same system as helicopter pilots - exact predetermined 'transits' viewed by eyeball, abeam and ahead. The healthy human eye can discriminate to about 1/4 degree.
Plus TV cameras with their viewpoints displayed and 'distance markers', as in optical gunsights. There's also 'precision GPS' available, but that's costly.

Adios

Visit site
3 short blasts would have done the job.
Proper of course but I doubt the locals will prefer making the once tranquil but busy dutch canals sound like a Bombay street. A discrete blinking light on the stern would be more environmentally friendly and sufficient for the purpose!

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm curious what issues you found then you tried the mirrors?
Why would anyone try something that is so obviously a waste of time? Not all new ideas are good ideas. Some ideas are....misunderstood as to what is required.

Wing mirrors I think can be filed under 'Teighnmouth Electron'.....

• Haha
Reactions: dom