Wing mirrors

Adios

Visit site

lustyd

Visit site
Why would anyone try something that is so obviously a waste of time? Not all new ideas are good ideas. Some ideas are....misunderstood as to what is required.

Wing mirrors I think can be filed under 'Teighnmouth Electron'.....
Ah so you don't know it's a waste of time, you just think it is. Good effort!

lustyd

Visit site
Let's us know how your wing mirror trial goes. I know I don't need them coz my neck works but it might help someone.

Good luck. ?
I'm sure it will go very well. Not leaving the steering and throttle is always better than leaving it, especially in a bit of a cross wind. Any sailor with 5 minutes experience could tell you that.

lustyd

Visit site
I don't see what you'd gain from a video, the berthing would look the same with and without mirrors, but one would have improved visability from the helm. As I said, I have no problems berthing my boat.

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm sure it will go very well. Not leaving the steering and throttle is always better than leaving it, especially in a bit of a cross wind. Any sailor with 5 minutes experience could tell you that.
I can't imagine anyone misinterpreting anything so badly as to believing someone else said 'leave the helm'. Still it takes all sorts.

Anyway, about another one of your magic inventions. I'm flying to Barcelona tomorrow to pick up a yacht to deliver to the Canaries. Can you send me one of your three week forecasts? It would be really handy ta.

lustyd

Visit site
long range forecasts are widely available, try Google. There is no position on my boat where I can touch the throttle and wheel while also seeing the topsides and pontoon. Have you ever actually been sailing?

capnsensible

Visit site
long range forecasts are widely available, try Google. There is no position on my boat where I can touch the throttle and wheel while also seeing the topsides and pontoon. Have you ever actually been sailing?
Actually, no I've never been sailing. I just visit here to find out great ideas from experienced people. Where does one fit the exterior ashtrays?

lustyd

Visit site
You're welcome for the ideas, it's a shame you don't have the open mind to make use of them. You really should try sailing some time, it's very good fun if you have the right crew and are open to learning from others.

dom

Visit site
I'm wondering whether orange flashing indicators would also be a good idea?

And flashing marina Pelican Crossings for paddle boards and rowing boats?

Could be confused with subs and hovercraft though :unsure:

capnsensible

Visit site
You're welcome for the ideas, it's a shame you don't have the open mind to make use of them. You really should try sailing some time, it's very good fun if you have the right crew and are open to learning from others.
It's unfortunate about the bat bug. Otherwise you would be welcome to join us in San Carles tomorrow or either Malaga or Gib next week. That would allow some stress free on watch discussions about what does and doesn't work on yachts. And, of course, what might do. ?

lustyd

Visit site
Thank you for the offer. Unfortunately based on your wording I feel that you see that as an opportunity to impose your views (again) rather than discuss so I'll politely decline, thanks. I much prefer both sailing and conversing with more open minded individuals. I find it interesting that yachtsmen are willing to add cost and complexity to a boat with dual wheels, but a simple mirror is treated like witchcraft without any consideration whatsoever.

Skylark

Visit site
As a cruiser, I've pondered a similar conundrum for many years. My idea of sailing bliss is to sit, feet up, on cushions in the cockpit, rear facing. My "perch" is just perfect for to listening to music, reading, drinking coffee and eating cakes. It really is a PITA to have to move every 20 minutes or so to check for traffic. Mounting a wing mirror over a winch or on the pushpit rail may solve my dilemma. Good idea (y)

capnsensible

Visit site
As a cruiser, I've pondered a similar conundrum for many years. My idea of sailing bliss is to sit, feet up, on cushions in the cockpit, rear facing. My "perch" is just perfect for to listening to music, reading, drinking coffee and eating cakes. It really is a PITA to have to move every 20 minutes or so to check for traffic. Mounting a wing mirror over a winch or on the pushpit rail may solve my dilemma. Good idea (y)
They can double up as a useful aid to finding the spanner you dropped under the engine. Which have some mystical way of telekinetically moving to a place you can neither see or reach.