Wing mirrors

capnsensible

Visit site
Thank you for the offer. Unfortunately based on your wording I feel that you see that as an opportunity to impose your views (again) rather than discuss so I'll politely decline, thanks. I much prefer both sailing and conversing with more open minded individuals. I find it interesting that yachtsmen are willing to add cost and complexity to a boat with dual wheels, but a simple mirror is treated like witchcraft without any consideration whatsoever.
Shame as we could have ironed out your misconceptions. However we have AIS and an unending source of magic moonbeams so feel free to watch our progress on vessel finder. ? Yacht Tansel. Lagoon 42.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Why would that be a disqualification? Some are born members, some achieve membership, others have membership thrust upon them...
Because a euphemism is a "mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing". As the vast majority of us are "well-known members", I'm struggling to see how the phrase could be too harsh or blunt when applied to us as we are all tarred with that particular brush. ;)

Richard

lustyd

Visit site
You came to this thread specifically to tell other people not to try something you've never tried. I'm pretty comfortable about my "misconceptions" thanks!

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I couldn't bear to read the whole thread, but I didn't spot anyone question the "wing" descriptor. I can remember when cars had them, and even had one myself (MG B). But I don't see them now, and the reason seems simple geometry. To get a sufficient view from a mirror only a few inches across it has to be only about a foot away from your face, so the outside mirrors have migrated to the doors instead of wings.

In a yacht cockpit, how is the geometry going to work?

Adios

Visit site
I couldn't bear to read the whole thread, but I didn't spot anyone question the "wing" descriptor. I can remember when cars had them, and even had one myself (MG B). But I don't see them now, and the reason seems simple geometry. To get a sufficient view from a mirror only a few inches across it has to be only about a foot away from your face, so the outside mirrors have migrated to the doors instead of wings.

In a yacht cockpit, how is the geometry going to work?
Thats a very good point. The mirror would have to be a foot across if its around midships.

Makes me wonder why they weren't always on car doors rather than out on the wing. The one benefit I guess is on the wing it is already in the peripheral vision while the driver is looking ahead. On a door you have to take your eyes off the road to look at it and don't see anything in it unless looking at it.

lustyd

Visit site
Thats a very good point. The mirror would have to be a foot across if its around midships.

Makes me wonder why they weren't always on car doors rather than out on the wing. The one benefit I guess is on the wing it is already in the peripheral vision while the driver is looking ahead. On a door you have to take your eyes off the road to look at it and don't see anything in it unless looking at it.
The suggestion was to mount the mirror on the side of the pushpit such that a quick glance sideways would raise situational awareness just like in a car. Since you'd only need to see the gap between pontoon and topside the mirror wouldn't need to be bigger than a normal modern car mirror. Of course this is being made quickly obsolete by cameras and MFDs but it would use no power and be low cost and simple while adding the ability to quickly glance along the side of the boat.

Adios

Visit site
Oh dear is that a bad method?? Thats exactly how I come in to a perpendicular berth. Enough way on that I have steerage to turn, bung the engine in reverse which slows me down without altering the direction I'm steering, drift sideways onto the berth. I did cause a similar look on some peoples face one time when I came alongside their boat like that. I assumed thats how everyone does it.

Adios

Visit site
The suggestion was to mount the mirror on the side of the pushpit such that a quick glance sideways would raise situational awareness just like in a car. Since you'd only need to see the gap between pontoon and topside the mirror wouldn't need to be bigger than a normal modern car mirror. Of course this is being made quickly obsolete by cameras and MFDs but it would use no power and be low cost and simple while adding the ability to quickly glance along the side of the boat.
Ah I understand now.

RobbieW

Visit site
Oh dear is that a bad method?? Thats exactly how I come in to a perpendicular berth. Enough way on that I have steerage to turn, bung the engine in reverse which slows me down without altering the direction I'm steering, drift sideways onto the berth. I did cause a similar look on some peoples face one time when I came alongside their boat like that. I assumed thats how everyone does it.
Nothing wrong with the method, its the speed of execution that causes concern :)