WinchRite electric winch handle

Shrektwo

Visit site
Winchrite

You are quite correct Sherlock Snooks! I tried the product in the States and was so impressed that I decided to start importing them.

FullCircle

Visit site
You are quite correct Sherlock Snooks! I tried the product in the States and was so impressed that I decided to start importing them.

So why not just come out and say so?

Now I have you down as someone a bit devious, which was completely avoidable.

Plenty of represented industry round here who offer their knowledge to this community and are able to gently advertise without being pushy pushy commercial about it.

EddieBlue

Visit site
winchrite

Bought one to lift a 3.2M RIB and a 10 Hp onto the flybridge of our Swift Trawler.

A real ball ache to be honest, and with two dogs started to dictate where we went as we (I) simply couldn't be bothered to crane the tender in.

The Winchrite is excellent, and easily handles a direct lift from the sea up over the rail ont the chocks on the deck.

So easily copes with grunty things as well.

My colleague has borrowed it to do some real sailing of his yacht and is really putting it to the test.

I would recommend the product

Eddie

Cantata

Visit site
Just looked at the Winchrite video which only shows it doing sissy jobs that I can't imagine needing power assist for (winding furling sails in and out). Any idea how it works on grunty jobs, like trying to get the last six inches of genny sheet in, when there's a good breeze blowing?
I used one on a mate's Moody 336 last year, blowing 25 knots, it did the job, astonishing amount of grunt.
I can see the missus and me getting one for our 31 at the rate our arf-ritis is setting in.....bloomin lot of money, though.

bairdag

Visit site
Wincrite

Just bought a Winchrite; The alternative was to start investing thousands on an electric winch;I am absolutely delighted. I had seen these at the boat show but was a bit doubtful about the unit and the construction was I thought a bit less than perfect. A crew problem meant this was a good chance to try it out and I have been really impressed. There is a new model, with larger battery. The construction is good and much more solid in the updated version. We have a heavy duty FB main that weighs about 80kilos and is on a 2:1 halyard on a 60' mast. Manages it no problem. It is usually a 2-man job on the manual winch or 15 minutes for one with rests. No more!! The battery life is good, and it manages at least 2 hoists on one charge - or one hoist and a day sailing with an overnight charge - but this is a big powerful catamaran, so I really should have 2. If this battery charge is an apparent drawback it has to be seen in the size of the task, the fact that it is completely portable and there is no possibility of a lazy crew ending with leaving you no domestic supply. Customer service from winch rite agent Watkins is very personal and customer focussed with favourable online reviews that would support my personal experience. An unequivocal (and unsolicited) positive review. I would not wish to use the drill conversion for safety and water protection issues.

Shrektwo

Visit site
Winchrite

Just bought a Winchrite; The alternative was to start investing thousands on an electric winch;I am absolutely delighted. I had seen these at the boat show but was a bit doubtful about the unit and the construction was I thought a bit less than perfect. A crew problem meant this was a good chance to try it out and I have been really impressed. There is a new model, with larger battery. The construction is good and much more solid in the updated version. We have a heavy duty FB main that weighs about 80kilos and is on a 2:1 halyard on a 60' mast. Manages it no problem. It is usually a 2-man job on the manual winch or 15 minutes for one with rests. No more!! The battery life is good, and it manages at least 2 hoists on one charge - or one hoist and a day sailing with an overnight charge - but this is a big powerful catamaran, so I really should have 2. If this battery charge is an apparent drawback it has to be seen in the size of the task, the fact that it is completely portable and there is no possibility of a lazy crew ending with leaving you no domestic supply. Customer service from winch rite agent Watkins is very personal and customer focussed with favourable online reviews that would support my personal experience. An unequivocal (and unsolicited) positive review. I would not wish to use the drill conversion for safety and water protection issues.

Many thanks for the ringing endorsement Gordon - sounds like your Winchrite is saving you a LOT of hard work!

jamesjermain

Visit site
I have one and it's in its second season. I haven't used it much because of my dismasting last year, but what use I have had has been great.

I still have plenty of strength for short term grunt winching but I tire after a long spell of medium load winching.

The Winchrite, despite having a high and low ratio, it's no good for grinding in the last six inches of a genoa sheet or tensioning the last bit of a main halyard. It lacks serious power, but it if had that it would pull your arms off. Also it doesn't winch in super fast - just a steady haul. What it's great at is long-haul, medium weight jobs.

I bought it mainly because I have a main with a 17m luff and a two to one halyard so miles of very expensive Dyneema rope. With a fit crew on board we can swig it up at the mast to, perhaps, 10ft from the truck. After that manual winching does the job. But when I am on my own, which is often, I can't do the swigging at the mast and the tailing at the winch so the first 15-20ft of hoist is done by hand, the next 70ft by Winchrite and the last bit with low gear manual winch grunt. It's also useful with the very long six-part mainsheet.

When pottering about day sailing with maybe two stops at anchor I really love it and it may well extend my sailing life with Belladonna by a year or two. I looked at the possibility of fitting just one powered winch and leading all lines to it but the cost made the Winchrite look a bargain.

Don't expect too much of it and it will serve you well.

Sailfree

Visit site
Available in the uk now http://uk.milwaukeetool.eu/
I can hoist my wife up the mast with it!

Fergus I cannot see the 28V version only the 18V.

Since buying mine due to infrequent use I have replaced the 28V battery and the new ones are far better.

220V chargers for 28V milwalkee tools are available on e bay (and new batteries). alternative is to get a USA to UK converter from maplins.

In my case I leave wife in bed, set boat head to wind on autopilot, Use 28V Milwalkee rt angle drill with winch bit to lift heavy grade (charter use) fully battened main fully up on my 43' yacht. Wake wife when 1hr outside Cherbourg so she can get showered, changed ready to step off boat to go to care du Paris!! She like my tool!!!

Last edited:

bairdag

Visit site
Sounds quite similar to my issues; the cost compared to one electric winch means you could buy 2 or 3, so battery life as a drawback isn't really an issue and servicing and repair issues non-existent.

Shrektwo

Visit site
Hi Scotty,
yes the prices have recently increased due to the new model launch of the new Winchrite ABT (Advanced Brushless Technology). This features a new Brushless motor, redesigned gearbox to handle the extra torque and an uprated battery. Unfortunately this does involve a small price penalty, but to offset this you are getting an even better product, and the package now also includes the storage cradle which was previously £29.95.
Ian Watkins - Watkins Yachting

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Just got back from a few weeks wanting to go west and not succeeding!

We got as far as Cherbourg, St Vaast, Honfleur...... St Vaast, Cherbourg and simply gave up and came home.

Even so it was a good time to try out the Winchrite........ High 'marks' with minor reservations.

It does have tremendous torque and several times it tried to wind me round the winch as somehow my fingers just wouldn't release from the trigger. ??

With it's two direction switch (in a very stiff and difficult to operate plastic waterproof cover) it can manage to pull in my 150% genoa further than I can with a winch handle.

My wife would have used it more but it's rather heavy when held out to place it on the winch.

As said previously, the 'cog' which is held in like a socket to a wrench handle with a ball bearing dropping into a dimple, is too light for the job and the 'cog' can drop out if the Winchrite if not lifted off vertically from the winch every time.

A very lightweight 12V cigar charger plug which got crushed the first day on the boat as I had it in its bag together with the Winchrite :(

However, if it allows me to sail on in old age as my body gives up then I reckon it's a well worthwhile investment. (shoulder op' end Oct')

S.

Last edited: