Wildlife in Chichester Harbour.

rotrax

Visit site
Early yesterday morning as I was bringing the anchor lamp and ball back to their storage spaces I witnessed something quite amazing.

Something swooped past the rear of our pilothouse, it looked from what a I saw like a bird of prey 'stooping' at high speed.

It was obviously surprised at my sudden appearance and half pulled out of its dive. I put down what I was carrying and took a peek.

It was, I am sure a Perigrine Falcon. Although I have never been so close to one before, I am certain of this. A very streamlined shape, heavily barred breast and swept back wings.

It made a pass down the Starboard side of our boat, circled round once more, made a fast swoop and picked something from the water, just as an Osprey does.

It passed by about ten feet from me with a small bird - perhaps a swallow-in its talons.

Working backwards I believe it knocked the Swallow into the water as I surprised it and 'put it off' its strike. Not wishing to lose its meal, it checked me out before retrieving its meal from the sea.

Nature is cruel, but what I witnessed was very special. I feel privileged to have seen it.

I noted it in the log....................................

scozzy

Visit site
Fantastic stuff! And one of the total bonuses of boating is the natural world we get to be part of👍 I've never seen a peregrine and envy you big style ! I can however bore you to death with dolphin sightings 😁

johnalison

Visit site
It is indeed a privilege when one witnesses a wildlife spectacle, especially when it is seen alone or with very limited company. I have seen the occasional peregrine and I am happy to accept your guess. I once saw a peregrine a few years ago when I walked on a round trip that took me past Bradwell power station. Looking up at the edifice, I thought to myself that it would be a fine place for a peregrine. Just at that moment, a pair of peregrines flew out of a box on the roof that had presumably been set up for them.

ashtead

Visit site
I believe we saw a massive bird of prey on the South Island -rumour had it that eagles were breeding in east wight and soared over Seaview in August. I sure it’s not far as the eagle flies to littlehampton if that’s the location here?

Concerto

Visit site
There is a perigrin falcon nest under the Orwell bridge in Suffolk. It was pointed out to me earlier this year. If you want to see it then head up the Orwell, look under the bridge at the top of the starboard pillar on the Ipswich side - provided they are still using the nest there.

rotrax

Visit site
I believe we saw a massive bird of prey on the South Island -rumour had it that eagles were breeding in east wight and soared over Seaview in August. I sure it’s not far as the eagle flies to littlehampton if that’s the location here?
Far too small for an Eagle.

Here in South Oxfordshire I am surrounded by Red Kites, they are pretty big too.

Until they demolished the Power Station here in Didcot, Perigrine Falcons nested on the towers and cooling towers.

billyfish

Visit site
Years ago we were having breakfast and saw 2 birds travelling at speed towards us while anchored in thorney channel the first a pidgin made a b line for the cockpit just missing us the second a peregrine swooped passed just missing us , circled a couple of times before disappearing. The pidgin by now was is the cabin I went to get it and it got further into the boat, so I left it as we might end up taking boards up to get it out . It stayed over for breakfast, I gave it cerial and water a couple of hours later we had to catch the tide and it popped up had a good look round before flying off.

billyfish

Visit site
Ospreys, see them quite a lot . Although they are young and could also be white tailed sea eagles, recently introduced.

Puffin10032

Visit site
Sorry to be ignorant but what birds are these? I have seen them a number of times sitting on the same posts at Newtown Creek. Magnificent sight (along with the seals)

White-tailed Eagles. Sometimes called Sea Eagles. Several were re-introduced to the IoW as juveniles a few years ago in the hope that they'd a) stick around and b) once mature would pair up and breed. They did both. They also seem to like Poole Harbour which is no distance at all for a bird with a 7 foot wingspan.

billyfish

Visit site
I was in Harris a couple of years ago and one appeared out of the mist , very close,I grabbed me we scabby dog he looked at him with beady eye.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Given the amount of sewage being pumped into Chichester harbour it is amazing any wildlife can survive
Sewage or not, the Harbour is absolutely bursting with wild life.. the seal colony (largest in the Solent apparently) is increasing year on year - they wouldn't be doing that without abundant food sources and from what I've seen this year the numbers of school bass are high.