Which telescopic ladder for boat access on the hard?

wonkywinch

Visit site
I tried a search and did find the What yer get fer Xmas? thread but no definitive make/model specified.

Looking for a telescopic ladder to access the boat when it comes out of the water next month. Previous used a two section ladder but had to drive it around poking out the back of my car. Screwfix currently have an offer on the Werner ladders.

What make/model do you use? We've got a lifting keel (draws 1.3m up) and the swim platform folds down so looking at around 3m if I am to tie it to the pushpit and access the boat from the platform.

Werner Telescopic Ladders | Ladders | Screwfix

Martin_J

Visit site
I have the Werner 2.9 Soft Close from Screwfix...

Tbh, I had always used a standard ladder because all the telescopic ones I had seen in the boatyard all looked rather wobbly/flimsy.

The Werner is heavier than I expected (although I had nothing to compare it with). but then it really is very stable, doesn't flex and the pads at the top and bottom seem to be designed just right so as not to damage what they're leaning against.

Screenshot_20240214-164507_Samsung Internet.jpg

Daydream believer

Visit site
I was working at one company office when a chap went up a folding ladder( not the one in #3 but that sort of folding) & it folded down on him causing considerable injury as hands & feet were trapped. Then the ladder fell forward as well as upper support was lost.
Might have been a Screw fix, but do not quote me.
They were banned for a while, until a commercial version was found, complete with test cert etc.Purchased direct from the manufacturer. Training was given to all users (as it should have been given any way) Ladders were recorded & only kept by the company for a certain period then scrapped & replaced.
I use a decent 2 section extending ladder & fix it to my boat cradle with chain & padlock. One thing about that is that it extends well above the deck & gives support, as I transit to the stern. I make sure I tie it.

johnalison

Visit site
I was working at one company office when a chap went up a folding ladder( not the one in #3 but that sort of folding) & it folded down on him causing considerable injury as hands & feet were trapped. Then the ladder fell forward as well as upper support was lost.
Might have been a Screw fix, but do not quote me.
They were banned for a while, until a commercial version was found, complete with test cert etc.Purchased direct from the manufacturer. Training was given to all users (as it should have been given any way) Ladders were recorded & only kept by the company for a certain period then scrapped & replaced.
I use a decent 2 section extending ladder & fix it to my boat cradle with chain & padlock. One thing about that is that it extends well above the deck & gives support, as I transit to the stern. I make sure I tie it.
I use a short step-ladder and board from via the stern ladder and boarding platform in the stern, or from a full-size step-ladder also from the stern. Fortunately, this (the ladder) fits inside my hatchback, as does the working platform. This won't suit all boats, but I agree that ladders are potentially very dangerous and the solution has to be sound.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I has a folding ladder collapse when one of my workers was climbing down.

I never use folding ladders againn

I intend to fix it to the end of my floating jetty so if anyone falls in so can climb out easy.

Need to design some sliding hinges so the ladder can be pushed under the jetty yet easy to fold down

Refueler

Visit site
Both my boats are on the hard ... one has a section from my home 3 section ladder padlocked to the main sheet horse !! It was funny when we moved the boat - I couldn't remember the padlock combination and it got dragged with the boat !!

415EduUl.jpg

My other boat has a stern bathing ladder that folds down .... I carry a standard folding step ladder on roof rack of car .. which then gets me high enough to get onto the bathing ladder.

xT2pN6el.jpg

Sasha wouldn't wait to open out step ladder properly !! He lent it against stern ...

The height of Anisette is IMHO too high to use anything but a stable folding step ladder ..

Friend of mine uses a single ladder section similar to my other boat - tied to his stern bathing ladder .. I refuse to go up it .. as it does not have enough ladder extended past the lowest bathing ladder step.

Martin_J

Visit site
To Wonkywinch... I see you're not far along the Solent from me. Send me a message if you'd like me to pop over (or meet part way) with the ladder.

Then you can try it and make your own mind up.

Would be useful to have a boat or a wall nearby so you can try it.. rather than trying to climb in free space!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Both my boats are on the hard ... one has a section from my home 3 section ladder padlocked to the main sheet horse !! It was funny when we moved the boat - I couldn't remember the padlock combination and it got dragged with the boat !!

415EduUl.jpg

My other boat has a stern bathing ladder that folds down .... I carry a standard folding step ladder on roof rack of car .. which then gets me high enough to get onto the bathing ladder.

xT2pN6el.jpg

Sasha wouldn't wait to open out step ladder properly !! He lent it against stern ...

The height of Anisette is IMHO too high to use anything but a stable folding step ladder ..

Friend of mine uses a single ladder section similar to my other boat - tied to his stern bathing ladder .. I refuse to go up it .. as it does not have enough ladder extended past the lowest bathing ladder step.
Just a point but that step ladder is being used incorrectly. It is bearing on the wrong legs.
However, I would not use a step ladder in that situation anyway.

Refueler

Visit site
Just a point but that step ladder is being used incorrectly. It is bearing on the wrong legs.
However, I would not use a step ladder in that situation anyway.

DB ... please go back and reread my post ... I said that Sasha would not wait to put the ladder correctly ... he was eager to get back on board !!

Why not ? I put it 90 deg to the bathing ladder and its a direct no fuss step straight onto bathing ladder. Far safer than my mates ladder tied to his bathing ladder ...

When I see some others and how they get on their boats - I cringe waiting for the fall !!

pandos

Visit site
I have a folding telescopic one that makes a straight ladder or a trestle. Very handy for polishing and cleaning the topsides and for accessing onto deck.

I bought it cheap in a secondhand shop...very good quality...heavyish but fits in the boot of a smallish car.

Tranona

Visit site
I'm liking it already .. "This 7-in-1 aluminum ladder will help you solve various troubles in daily life."
Maybe it should start a political party and run for PM. Can't do any worse than others who have tried. could also be a basis for a Monty Python sketch. "folding ladder is new PM!". All troubles solved in the life of this parliament.

It is a good ladder though.

Refueler

Visit site
I have another that stays at home - but was a revelation when I bought it decades ago .... its a step ladder that the apex point can be set in a range .. so it can be adjusted to have one part on a one step of stairs .. other part on another step of stairs ... or just set it as a normal level step ladder.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
I have another that stays at home - but was a revelation when I bought it decades ago .... its a step ladder that the apex point can be set in a range .. so it can be adjusted to have one part on a one step of stairs .. other part on another step of stairs ... or just set it as a normal level step ladder.
I have one of those as well. Excellent, plus it works as a two section extending ladder. I also have multi-use gizmo that works as extending ladder, stepladder and platform, which is ideal for working on the topsides of a fin keeled boat.