Which sailboat?

ridgy

Visit site
Go on then I'll say what everyone is thinking. I would find a way to keep your house and buy something cheaper to see how you like it.
This has an hint of mid life crisis about it (forgive me if I'm wrong) so I would do some sailing at the weekends and wait for it to pass. Unless you have substantial other financial resources, and by having to sell your house to fund this modest boat it doesn't sound like it, then that's an interesting choice in these interesting times.
Take our word for it that the novelty of doing what you suggest will wear off quite quickly. If you had plans to sail south and live the good life in the Carribbean it might be different.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't think people realise how quite their liveaboard dream last before realty sets In.
For a lot of people we met it's around two years
The first year and winter it's all new , by the following winter dough set in .

Its very unusual for people to last full time on board as long as we did , but we wasn't living in northern Europe for a start , we didn't have work to worry about and we wasn't long in any one place .

I would say to anyone considering selling there house to buy a boat to live on , DONT .
Boats devalue quicky property just keep going up

Earthlyone

Visit site
I don't think people realise how quite their liveaboard dream last before realty sets In.
For a lot of people we met it's around two years
The first year and winter it's all new , by the following winter dough set in .

Its very unusual for people to last full time on board as long as we did , but we wasn't living in northern Europe for a start , we didn't have work to worry about and we wasn't long in any one place .

I would say to anyone considering selling there house to buy a boat to live on , DONT .
Boats devalue quicky property just keep going up
I would have to say I do agree with you. However, my situation is a unique, which I wouldn’t go too much into on here.
I certainly wouldn’t advise anyone to make themselves homeless & broke for a couple of years pipe dream, that isn’t what this is. I won’t be homeless, I will still have a bricks & mortar home so no worries there. I also have the freedom to leave the boat for a few months over the worst of winter if I find it unbearable. In a couple of years, with enough experience, I may well change boats & sail to warmer climes for the winter.
I also don’t have work to worry about.
I am grateful for all the points you raise, all these things are valid & important things for me to have in mind.

Earthlyone

Visit site
With a budget of £20K it also sounds like pie in the sky.
With a budget of £20K it also sounds like pie in the sky.
I realise this is not a huge budget, however, for my first boat I feel this is sensible. This is for me to learn as much as I can, do my RYA certifications & also enjoy time on the water. This is a starting point. Thank you for your thoughts though.

Earthlyone

Visit site
Go on then I'll say what everyone is thinking. I would find a way to keep your house and buy something cheaper to see how you like it.
This has an hint of mid life crisis about it (forgive me if I'm wrong) so I would do some sailing at the weekends and wait for it to pass. Unless you have substantial other financial resources, and by having to sell your house to fund this modest boat it doesn't sound like it, then that's an interesting choice in these interesting times.
Take our word for it that the novelty of doing what you suggest will wear off quite quickly. If you had plans to sail south and live the good life in the Carribbean it might be different.
I will still have a bricks & mortar home so no worries there. In a couple of years, with enough experience, I may well change boats & sail to warmer climes for the winter. I am certainly not having a midlife crisis, I am putting a lot of time into researching my plans, getting advice, talking with others with experience of living different variations of this.
I don’t have work to worry about & I am not having to sell my only home. I am simply trying to enjoy my life doing the things I would like to do.
I am grateful for all the points you raise.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I realise this is not a huge budget, however, for my first boat I feel this is sensible. This is for me to learn as much as I can, do my RYA certifications & also enjoy time on the water. This is a starting point. Thank you for your thoughts though.

I didn't mean to be insulting and in reality have no experience of 30 foot boats for that sort of money I think Tranona is the guy with most knowledge in that area and the boat market in general. I had a 27 foot Vancouver 274 that would be just about lovable for a single person ( it very much depends on the person) and that cost more than £20K and I would guess would even now. So best of luck.

Earthlyone

Visit site
I didn't mean to be insulting and in reality have no experience of 30 foot boats for that sort of money I think Tranona is the guy with most knowledge in that area and the boat market in general. I had a 27 foot Vancouver 274 that would be just about lovable for a single person ( it very much depends on the person) and that cost more than £20K and I would guess would even now. So best of luck.
No worries ? I did say in one of my much earlier posts that I could go up to 30k for the right boat, if it was completely ready to go! Tranona has given me some great advice, as have all of you. I really am learning a lot & thinking about a lot more due to this thread. That’s a nice 27ft boat the Vancouver 274.
I do understand that there are a lot of people that watch those fancy YouTube sailing videos & think they can achieve a dreamy life without any knowledge, learning, money, Etc. I do understand people scepticism. We live in a crazy world where people do crazy things ?

ridgy

Visit site
I will still have a bricks & mortar home so no worries there. In a couple of years, with enough experience, I may well change boats & sail to warmer climes for the winter. I am certainly not having a midlife crisis, I am putting a lot of time into researching my plans, getting advice, talking with others with experience of living different variations of this.
I don’t have work to worry about & I am not having to sell my only home. I am simply trying to enjoy my life doing the things I would like to do.
I am grateful for all the points you raise.
I that case I apologise for underestimating you. Crack on and we look forward to hearing about your search and purchase.

While there may not be a partner involved at the moment there may be in the future and many of these old boats have both a certain aroma (of mould and diesel) and not great toilet arrangements.
A newer boat will have a large toilet cabin at the back and and aft cabin. Both of these are desirable.

I would offer this as a suggestion of a more modern boat that is well equipped at a reasonable price.
Beneteau First 32S5 for sale UK, Beneteau boats for sale, Beneteau used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale Beneteau First 32s5 - Apollo Duck

V1701

Visit site
When you've got your boat we can move on to talking about insulation, heating, condensation, dehumidifiers, electric blankets and, wait for it, anchors. My first boat was a late '80's 30' Jeanneau & was fine for one to live & learn on, fin keel so easy to manoeuvre (will steer in reverse). Sadler's and etaps are double skinned so condensation in winter much less of an issue, worth bearing in mind...

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
When you've got your boat we can move on to talking about insulation, heating, condensation, dehumidifiers, electric blankets and, wait for it, anchors. My first boat was a late '80's 30' Jeanneau & was fine for one to live & learn on, fin keel so easy to manoeuvre (will steer in reverse). Sadler's and etaps are double skinned so condensation in winter much less of an issue, worth bearing in mind...

That got me thinking:eek: there are a few Sadler 34s about at that sort of money which might fit the bill.

Earthlyone

Visit site
I that case I apologise for underestimating you. Crack on and we look forward to hearing about your search and purchase.

While there may not be a partner involved at the moment there may be in the future and many of these old boats have both a certain aroma (of mould and diesel) and not great toilet arrangements.
A newer boat will have a large toilet cabin at the back and and aft cabin. Both of these are desirable.

I would offer this as a suggestion of a more modern boat that is well equipped at a reasonable price.
Beneteau First 32S5 for sale UK, Beneteau boats for sale, Beneteau used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale Beneteau First 32s5 - Apollo Duck
No worries, I really do understand that there are many ‘naive dreamers’ that drive experienced, life long sailors absolutely mad. I get it.
That’s a great suggestion, thank you ?

Earthlyone

Visit site
That’s awesome advice & some great suggestions, thank you ?

Tranona

Visit site
Have a look here theyachtmarket.com/en/boats-for-sale/westerly/sailing-boats/?page=1 and you will see a good choice of +/-30' with Konsorts, 31 varieties such as Longbow and Berwick in the £10-20k range. Up to £30k will get you a 33 and maybe a Discus. These are all popular liveaboard starter boats because they were designed for family coastal cruising so are spacious easy to sail and robust. Of course after 40 years they vary hugely in quality, but many will have modern engines and gear. Don't get too hung up on 2sharp" sailing - they are all more than adequate and your first year or 2 will be more about coming to terms with the living side of things rather than actually sailing very far. There are of course other designs you can look at such as the Moodys and other smaller builders, but there is a reason why there are so many Westerlys around - they were good at the job at the time and if in good nick will sell on easily if you decided to move up - or indeed move out!

Kelpie

Visit site
You can get a very nice boat for £20k.
You won't get something from this century, but does that really matter? Anything older that's worth buying will have had all the essentials replaced anyway.
Our boat is 44yrs old and the interior is resplendent in original formica laminate like a 1970s time capsule. But the stuff that actually matters is all good. BTW we paid only a little over your 'stretch' budget, and have three double cabins plus saloon, a huge space for a family. We've been full time liveaboard for nearly a year and I still maintain that we could got by just fine with a smaller boat.
Admittedly we bought just before the covid-induced rise in prices, but still, £20k is a very nice budget if your expectations are not too fancy.

Earthlyone

Visit site
You can get a very nice boat for £20k.
You won't get something from this century, but does that really matter? Anything older that's worth buying will have had all the essentials replaced anyway.
Our boat is 44yrs old and the interior is resplendent in original formica laminate like a 1970s time capsule. But the stuff that actually matters is all good. BTW we paid only a little over your 'stretch' budget, and have three double cabins plus saloon, a huge space for a family. We've been full time liveaboard for nearly a year and I still maintain that we could got by just fine with a smaller boat.
Admittedly we bought just before the covid-induced rise in prices, but still, £20k is a very nice budget if your expectations are not too fancy.
I am not a flashy, look at me type… much more earthy, reuse type. I am more than happy, in fact prefer, a boat with some history & character than a 21st century looker. As long as she has good bones ? ? sails well, runs well, doesn’t sink! As for the interior decor, I’m not really bothered, it’s just somewhere to sleep, eat & chill after a long day sailing. Thanks for the information, I do enjoy reading others experiences & view points.

Earthlyone

Visit site
Have a look here theyachtmarket.com/en/boats-for-sale/westerly/sailing-boats/?page=1 and you will see a good choice of +/-30' with Konsorts, 31 varieties such as Longbow and Berwick in the £10-20k range. Up to £30k will get you a 33 and maybe a Discus. These are all popular liveaboard starter boats because they were designed for family coastal cruising so are spacious easy to sail and robust. Of course after 40 years they vary hugely in quality, but many will have modern engines and gear. Don't get too hung up on 2sharp" sailing - they are all more than adequate and your first year or 2 will be more about coming to terms with the living side of things rather than actually sailing very far. There are of course other designs you can look at such as the Moodys and other smaller builders, but there is a reason why there are so many Westerlys around - they were good at the job at the time and if in good nick will sell on easily if you decided to move up - or indeed move out!
That’s some great advice thank you Tranona. I will take a look at some Westerly’s on my search, those you have mentioned do seem to have good space for their length. Thank you for all your time & help.

Earthlyone

Visit site

No apology needed, I understand their are many that do have these mid life crisis/pipe dreams & make very poor decisions so I do understand why many experienced sailors will be sceptical.
Thank you for suggesting a great modern boat & some sound advice with regards to ‘certain aromas’ & toilets. I really do take all this onboard & know I’ll make better decisions & a better purchase thanks to all of you who have kindly given me your time & knowledge. Much appreciated.

Poignard

Visit site
I am not a flashy, look at me type… much more earthy, reuse type. I am more than happy, in fact prefer, a boat with some history & character than a 21st century looker. As long as she has good bones ? ? sails well, runs well, doesn’t sink! As for the interior decor, I’m not really bothered, it’s just somewhere to sleep, eat & chill after a long day sailing. Thanks for the information, I do enjoy reading others experiences & view points.
Twister then......

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Some really excellent advice given already and you sound like you’ve given this proper consideration. My 2 pence worth: don’t get seduced or hung up on electronic gear. There’s a huge range of stuff available, and a mighty marketing budget persuading us to buy it. But you don’t need much in my opinion. Compass, sounder, VHF is plenty. You can get a very adequate chart plotter on a tablet for little money, and you can use said tablet to do all sorts of other things as well( listen to music, surf the web, watch films etc).