Which diesel prefilter/water sep?

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
My MD11c currently only has a glass bowl separater and no pre filter.

I'd like to replace it with a combined filter/ bowl jobby.

I've been looking at ASAP's web site and am left confused by the choices.

I'd like it to be easy to maintain and if the filter elements are cheap.... even better.

Can anyone give advice

<hr width=100% size=1> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoonlight.co.uk>http://www.bluemoonlight.co.uk</A>

pvb

Visit site
CAV type...

The CAV type filter/separator is cheapish, and filter elements are widely available at sensible prices. You mentioned ASAP Supplies, and they list a part number 302003 which has a glass bowl (easier to check). You can get a bolt-on primer pump and, depending on your tank position, this can be a good idea.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colin_jones

Visit site
At ASAP have a look at the Racor range. They are a bit more expensive, but are very neat and are fitted with a tough transparent water trap bowl. The spin-on element is very easy to change and can be purchased in a variety of micron tolerances to suit the state of your fuel and injectors.

I have had 2 in line before the lift pump for 3 seasons. They have been excellent.

<hr width=100% size=1>

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I've got a simple CAV filter / water sep. upstream of the filter attached to my Nanni diesel. It works fine, no problems. The most important issue is the quality of the filter element - it is vital that you use a pukka Lucas/Delphi/CAV filter element or one of equal quality - my local diesel engineer insists that this is a key control on injector / fuel pump life.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cameocrew

Visit site
Hi-Ho to the scrappie you will go. Get fuel filter/seperator/priming pp unit (all in one) from any 305,405,505,605 Puegeot oil burners. Get two and £10 worth of plumbing bits . replacement filters to fit are about £6 . You will have a dual
filter /seperator fit both with priming pumps for aprox £40.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Racor or CAV

I have had both.

Disadvantage of CAV is the awkardness of the fitting of their supplied sealing rubbers if your filtre is in a hard to access spot.

The disadvantage of the Racor is the nearly £20 filtre repacement cost.

They have both worked for me and if I was fitting from scratch I would choose the 'expensive' as I am the one who gets his hands dirty at change time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
Are they glass bowl jobby? Not a real problem I guess.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but presumably a dual system means one is always witing, unused, in case of an emergency?

<hr width=100% size=1> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoonlight.co.uk>http://www.bluemoonlight.co.uk</A>

chas

Visit site
Second the Racor. i have , I think, a 500. Easy to fit, easy filter change and the filters are about £6. It has a see through bottom and by holding a torch behind, you can see any dirt or water.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cameocrew

Visit site
The Pug. pre-filters are a solid bodied unit (aprox 200mm longx80mm dia.)
with fuel in/out /pump unit at top.Water drain at bottom. You can fit in parellel
with change over cocks .This layout will give you the option to run with 1)both in line 2)one in line- with option to change to other for maintenance etc. Peugeot
recommend water drained every 6000 miles (poss 200 hrs run)and changed
18000 (600hrs??) I have a setup like this and drain before i go to sea and after refuelling. The units are ideal for mounting on 15mm ply board with all pipework
and valves before fitting to boat. Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
My vote goes to the Racor. I fitted one on my previous boat and will replace the CAV unit on my current boat with the Racor system. Asap are excellent, they will supply all the bits you need including the Racor spin on converter for the CAV head. Yes, the Racor is more expensive, but my concern was that I may have to change the filter quickly in less than ideal conditions i.e. in a seaway with a lee shore etc etc. The Cav filters are cheaper but getting the sealing rings in the right place in the right order takes a lot of concentration and care, both of which may be in short supply in a crisis.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TrawlingAlong

Visit site
One of my customers sells a CAV filter head adapter to allow a user to convert from the cartridge filter and bowl to screw on filters. They own the patent for this type of adapter. You can find their web site at http://www.abcprecision.com . You'll need to copy the link into your browser.

I hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

seaesta

Visit site
I understand that current regs require a metal rather than glass bowl. I would prefer the glass one because you are likely to spot billy bug or a water ingress problem much earlier.
Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jules

Visit site
Wee word of caution with glass bowls. I wonder how many of us carry spare bowls, not me. When changing mine (CAV) at the end of the season the bowl shattered when re-tightening. I swear I didn't overtighten it.
Imagine this happening at sea in an emergency! Luckily my local tractor place had one on his shelf. Anything important and breakable carry a spare
Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>