Which Boat - All is Lost ?

bernie_ni

Visit site
All is Lost - the film with Robert Redford. I am watching the trailer but cant make out what make of boat it is, maybe a Westerley ?, or more likely a USA breed of cruiser

Its on general release this week, i think. From the trailers, looks like one to see :)

Austerby

Visit site
It's had rather poor reviews from anyone who knows one end of a boat from the other.

Who do you know who has seen it? What were their comments? Have you seen the film yet yourself? Did you read the interview with the director where he explains the Redford character is meant to be an average sailor who makes mistakes?

Personally, I can forgive errors providing the story is good - the evident technical flaws in Gravity didn't spoil my enjoyment at all.

Seajet

Visit site
Who do you know who has seen it? What were their comments? Have you seen the film yet yourself? Did you read the interview with the director where he explains the Redford character is meant to be an average sailor who makes mistakes?

Personally, I can forgive errors providing the story is good - the evident technical flaws in Gravity didn't spoil my enjoyment at all.

Austerby,

well I'm no astronaut or defeater of alien hordes ( though I do live near Crawley ) so was just going by what I heard from sailor type folk on these forums; if the search facility was better I could give a more definitive answer.

Austerby

Visit site
Seajet
That's frustrating - I'm looking forward to seeing this film so I was hoping for some informed comments.
Merry Christmas to you.
Austerby

interloper

Visit site
I'm looking forward to seeing "All Is Lost," though it seems to have slipped off the schedules of our local theaters, so I'll have to get it on DVD or wait for it to be on cable TV. I'm sure I'll be annoyed by the inaccuracies, but I did manage to enjoy "Gravity" even though I work at NASA.

SailorBill

In a world of my own where you lot can't find me
Visit site
It's a Cal 39

Actually, there were 3 Cal 39's used in filming.

We went to see All Is Lost yesterday, after looking forward to seeing it since the summer. What a load of codswallop. Wish we hadn't bothered but I won't spoil it any more for those who haven't seen it (you may form a different opinion after watching it, but I doubt it).

Edited to add, there were only about 25 or so people watching it yesterday at the cinema we were in and one couple walked out after about 40 minutes. Says it all...

Last edited:

Cruiser2B

Visit site
I didn't like the movie, but I didn't hate it, either. The biggest problem as I saw it, was that this is Hollywood's idea of a "prestige" film - it's supposedly all about the craft of acting, so we are expected to be impressed by how the story is told through the nuances of Redford's expressions. Frankly I found the miming somewhat unrealistic. People, even alone will speak - they talk to themselves or mutter to nobody. As to his actions or lack thereof, I was left wondering how he made it as far as he had. Compared to Castaway, where I found Tom Hanks' character engaging and worth cheering, Redford's nameless sailor didn't even inspire pity. I was relieved when the movie ended.

the lloyds

Visit site
We went on Boxing day. It was a reasonable acting performance but no more. As a sailor planning a blue water trip I found it profoundly irritating with such basic mistakes being made throughout that it became really annoying. I am sure in storm conditions ones decision making gets tested, and you mak emistakes but most of us can put washboards back in when we come on deck and not wait til F10 to consider a storm sail. It could have been so much better done from a sailors prespective.. He used his paraanchor cleverly at the beginning but not when he needed it!

I would say ok film but not if you are experienced!

bernie_ni

Visit site
Well, I am glad some of you can get to see it:)
Am looking at the cinema listing for Nothern Ireland and there is no sign of it appearing. I dont think its worth over 100 mile trip down to Dublin to see it there.
Maybe it 'sunk without trace' coming over the Irish Sea !!

lufc71

Visit site
I really enjoyed it. Ok, at times he made Timothy Spall look like Robin Knox-Johnston, but putting that to one side, it was realistic enough to give me a chill at the thought of being holed 1500NM from land and it kept my interest to the end. Another plus for me was that it did not contain the blatant product placements that were used throughout Castaway. Hope you get to see it Bernie. After all, I think it'll be a fair while before we get another sailing-type movie from Hollywood so we might as well enjoy this one :)

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
We seen the film today in Henley on Thames; Robert Redford played the role very well. Not all sailors who attempt to cross an ocean are experts; the fact that he made basic sailing mistakes is part of the film so was the silence. I enjoyed it.

ChattingLil

Visit site
We watched it yesterday and we all thought it was a brilliant film. As did other punters in the auditorium who we talked to afterwards. Who cares if the boating aspect was not 100% spot on - the drama was ace and it is a movie after all. I was on the edge of my seat and burst into tears at the end with relief. I thought it was brilliantly acted, beautifully photographed and the effects were awesome. Some scenes were terrifying (don't want to give anything away for those who will see it themselves).

I also thought that he made mistakes that anyone could have made while stressed and exhausted. My opinion is that he had not recovered from the shock of the first incident which is why he made such mistakes subsequently. And I think the silence was great and realistic. I don't talk to myself and when I am alone on board, I don't even listen to the radio. I can go a week without talking - although, admittedly, I might have more noise than he did while bawling my eyes out in self-pity.