Where to safely dry out in or around Poole Harbour?

TopBanana

Visit site
This might be a daft question, but this is my first season of yacht ownership so go easy on me!

I've bought a bilge keeled Konsort which is proving to be fantastic fun. I'm curious about how much growth there is on the bottom so far, so I thought I'd dry out somewhere during low tide at the weekend. Is there any way in particular I should set my anchor? If anyone is familiar with the area, are there any places to dry out where I wouldn't be in the way?

It's anti-fouled rather than copper coated, so would a paint scraper be too hard in order to remove the growth that I find?

Thanks

Gelfie

Visit site
Dry out in Blood Alley on the west side of Brownsea Island. Run her aground 2 hours before 1st HW. This should give you time to do what is required.
A wide paint scraper is a possibility but a pot/pan cleaner may help.

Tranona

Visit site
As suggested Blood Alley is perhaps the best place. However won't be any good this weekend or next week as it is neaps and there is not enough rise and fall (.8m today and much less all next week).

You need spring tides and position your boat after second high (need to have tidal curves to identify this) which is approx 3 hours before low water. The rise to first high is quick and level higher than second high so you will float within 2-3 hours after low. Only downer is that lows are either early morning or evening, but if you plan it right you get a good 3 hours of scrubbing time.

chewi

Visit site
another suggestion...
Immediately West of Salterns Marina, (staying clear of their slipway). You would have walkashore access to their chandlery and the village if you needed it, but as said above,

Wherever you go you need a spring tide to do this in the limited tidal range in Poole. and carefully time it so the rise is certainly more than the time you take the ground.

TopBanana

Visit site
Many thanks for the suggestions. We spent the night at Blood Alley even though we couldn't dry out - lovely quiet spot! Will recce the Salterns option next time we're out :)