Where to eat in Gosport?

xcw

Visit site
Blimey - the Lightship's gone all posh! I probably haven't been there for over 10 years, but it used to be decent nosh at fairly sensible prices. Now it's all pithiviers and frites with prices to match, instead of pie and chips. I'd like to be wrong, but the menu sounds pretentious rather than fine dining.

The JR's looking favourite at the moment, but still interested in alternatives.
now closed for the season

dancrane

Visit site
Go to Brasserie Blanc at Gunwharf and have the cheddar souffle to start (and the pistachio souffle to finish).

I like to try new restaurants, even if they're only new to me. But not if there's a Brasserie Blanc locally, because nothing else is ever as good.

ashtead

Visit site
Should you be missing a Brasserie Blanc on your travels that brands group also has a range of pubs which serve like fare -if in Dorking you can also stay at the pub which has recently been refurbished .for pub food it’s very good compared to much found in Gosport but I suspect the clientele in cobham are somewhat more used to the prices at say the Cricketers than the Castle Tavern fare.

Stemar

Visit site
In the end it was drinks aboard, then wander down to The Jolly R. Decent pub grub at decent pub grub prices, enjoyed by all. then back to Jazzcat for more drinks and a dessert provided by one of the guests. Bed at 1AM. A great time was had by all.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

PS, if you're thinking of eating at the JR on a Saturday, check beforehand. They close the kitchen early - 7pm. IIRC, when there's something on, which seems to be most Saturdays.

ashtead

Visit site
We have visited the JR a couple of times -the journey by car from Haslar is sometimes winding but they serve good honest pub fare -staff were attentive if slightly oddly attired in sliders and white socks if memory hasn’t failed me but they were efficient and clued up which cannot be said for apathy shown at the Creek who have been dis interested on every visit we have made.