Where on earth

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
Just musing, now that the Cabernet is finished...

S'pose you had a sea-kindly sailboat at Plymouth, and you were entertaining yourself with the idea of possibly heading down to the Azores next summer, and you felt the need for a 5-600nm shakedown sail, solo or two-up....

Where would you go and why?

Rival_Raffee_11.png

:cool:

Oh, and 'where on earth....' is it?

:)

Last edited:

Fantasie 19

Visit site
The Fastnet rock and back (may not be far enough from Plymouth??)..

I'd do it because I've always been fascinated by the exploits of those who have raced to it, lost lives doing that, had accidents, lost boats - basically just for the sheer glory of it.... :eek:

Boreades

Visit site
Cross-channel to Brest, or La Rochelle if you want the extra distance. Good practice for the first leg of an Azores trip, skirting Ouessant.

Coincidentally, you'll also be able to fill the boat with a fresh supply of quality Cabernet. Park up in La Rochelle and nip round the corner to Domaine Liboreau. Mmmmm!

Mrs Boreades, the Boreadettes and myself are planning a similar trip to Lorient for the 2011 InterCeltic Sailing Championships. Last time we took part, we had to pretend to be Welsh (whoops, ssssshhhh, Mrs Boreades has personal history in Pembrokeshire). This time we'll fly our true colours.

images

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=13140

http://www.festival-interceltique.com/

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Nice Rival that...

How about a nice little circular tour of the Irish sea?

Round the end... up to West coast of Wales ... IOM... Kirkudbright... across to Ireland back south via Irish East Coast...

Visit site
The Fastnet rock and back (may not be far enough from Plymouth??)..

I'd do it because I've always been fascinated by the exploits of those who have raced to it, lost lives doing that, had accidents, lost boats - basically just for the sheer glory of it.... :eek:

Been there, done that.... half-a-dozen times, two-up and four-up. Apart from the last three considerations. There isn't AFAIK a pub on Rockall, is there?

I've never been quite able to understand why, every few years, hundreds of yachtsmen take leave of their wives and their senses, and charge, lemming-like, non-stop 300 miles across the seas to the bottom of Ireland and - just when they get within sniffing distance of some of the best pubs in Christendom - turn around and come all the way back again.

La Rochelle sounds interesting, out of season. And so does the Passage de Fromveur and the Plateau de la Helle.

:D

Bajansailor

Visit site
I've never been quite able to understand why, every few years, hundreds of yachtsmen take leave of their wives and their senses, and charge, lemming-like, non-stop 300 miles across the seas to the bottom of Ireland and - just when they get within sniffing distance of some of the best pubs in Christendom - turn around and come all the way back again.

:D

I can empathise with this absolutely - I had similar thoughts at 2200 hrs on a wet and cold night rounding the Fastnet in a F 8, thinking of the Race officials tucked up in the lighthouse, warm and dry with a good supply of Guinness (or single malt?) keeping them going.

And then thinking wistfully about the good craic happening ashore then in the Glandore Arms pub (which as you say was within sniffing distance, and which we had visited the previous year), and deciding it would be a lot more sensible to have a compulsory stop over in Eire as part of the whole Fastnet race experience.

But no, we hurtled back to Plymouth with that F 8 on the beam, still cold and wet, going like a submarine most of the time, and averaging 10 knots between the Fastnet and the Bishop - on a 60 yr old wooden boat.
Definitely insane.

Last edited:

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I fancy a trip out to St Kilda. No guarantee I'd be able to anchor and get ashore, but just to be able to say I'd 'been' there. I'd like to do it without the benefit of elecktrickery navigational aids as well. Who knows, I might discover Newfoundland!

Visit site
Well, the 'true colours' you've shown above suggest a lineage-link with the MacDonald clan....

A wee bit of intuitive Googling, or asking 'Sgeir of That Ilk', might provide you with an answer - and an explanation.

Mind you, it may be that recent PC legislation has required the removal of that legend ( tens of thousands of thirsty drinkers, over decades, will have made eye-contact with the famous prohibition, and asked why - if they didn't already know )

;)

macd

Visit site
So tell me, then, where you'd expect to find the famous legend "No tinkers or Campbells allowed in here":)

It seemed purely for show. I used to visit the place regularly in my climbing days and no-one thought to ask my clan.
A quick look at The Clachaig's website showed no reference to the sign or the ban. I suspect they consider it bad for modern business.
(Yes, it's an old thread, but nothing like so old as the feelings about the massacre).