Where is it?

Captain_Wolfie

Visit site
Not a lot happening on the forum, so I thought this might liven it up. It was taken a few days ago and is a hard one, but it was a great view so Í just had to share it. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
HPIM1669.JPG

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
... a hard one...

You're not kidding

I too think eastern Med - the landscape's certainly very arid/bleak, but I can't recognise it as anywhere around Corfu; I'm not even convinced that it's in the North Ionian.

For an Ionian guess; how about looking across the Ithaka Channel to Cephalonia? To be honest I'm not very confident as I think the backdrop's the mainland, but I can't place those isolated rocks anywhere else in Greek waters. If not Ithaka, then somewhere much further east, perhaps looking onto mainland Turkey.

johnalison

Visit site
The rocks aren't glacial enough for the Swedish archipelago, so I'm going for Norway or the border with Sweden.

Captain_Wolfie

Visit site
Close enough! It is Swedens only fjord halfway between Gothenburg and the norwegian border with the town Lysekil in the distance. An excellent cruising ground with no tides to worry about. The remnamnts of the old quarry on the island of Bohus-Malmön in the foreground hides the glacial look of the area. So not easy to guess, as I said! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Captain_Wolfie

Visit site
It would have taken a lot of local knowledge to locate the place and you were on the right track even though the rugged nature made you look further up towards Norway and you were a lot closer than the guess that the rocks were off Gunfleet!