Where do dead Yanmars go?

Sniper

Visit site
Although my 1GM is running ok at present I doubt it will go on indefinitely (it's probably nearly 30 years old now) so I am looking at succession planning. One option is to buy a cheap 'dead' one and spend the winter refurbishing it, scavenging good bits (like the head) from the current one. Only thing is, I never come across non-runners being advertised. Anyone know of a potential source?

I know the other options have been debated endlessly, but replacing like for like would keep ancillary costs down (engine beds, propeller, exhaust etc etc)

TIA

Tranona

Visit site
Rarely come up and usually not economical to rebuild - hence reason for sale! Best replacement is a Nanni or Beta 10 or 14. Virtually direct replacement in size and location of bits except that exhaust is on the other side - but not difficult to modify, Beta do a kit for their exhaust and I managed to move my system over to mate up to the Nanni I fitted.. Have already done it on my boat - vastly superior in refinement and of course fresh water cooled.

Sniper

Visit site
Thanks for the view. I must admit I haven't costed it in any way and no doubt by the time I've spent money on e.g. new shell bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, deglazing/rebore etc it would become quite expensive. I did have a look at a Beta 14 at the boat show and I suspect that may be the way to go eventually. I'm not afraid of a bit of DIY and provided it doesn't involve too much in the way of delicate engineering I doubt if fitting a similar sized engine should be too complicated; this should help keep costs down.

johnphilip

Visit site
Why on earth look for a dead engine with probable hidden fatal flaws when you already own one you could take out and refurbish over the winter in a similar manner?

Appledore

Visit site
I'm not sure just how old my 1 GM is, but it could be 20 years or so. You are always going to get the annual 'problems' of filters and anodes, starter motors and so on, but that's to be expected, and not really expensive.

What I tend to do is watch the listings on Fleabay, and bid on the pieces I think I might need. I bought privately and not too expensive, a brand new cylinder head (complete), new piston with rings, new injector, new fuel filter assembly, new fuel pump, good used water pump and so on - all for spares 'just in case'. Also, of course, the usual thermostat, impeller and filters. If I sold the boat or the engine just really dies, then I would easily get most of my money back, but at least I know I have the spares if needs be.

So long as you do your regular maintenance and checks I can't see that you should have a problem, at least in the short term. Every time I start my engine I listen, trying to detect any suspicious noises!

dualin

Visit site
Total agree I have done a few of these know and all these can live longer without the intervention of any body associated with marine!!! Been manufacturing engines for to many years you just need to know you stuff and that costs as I have found 1 gb pound = 3 marine pounds . Off in to the workshop to rebuild that 3 gm

Fendant

Visit site
Dead Yanmars end normally up in Bangladesh and India, they are repaired with "locally made" parts and miracuously work another 20 years.

nemodreams

Visit site
Depends on what price you are looking at for a 'dead one' ?

There's a 'living' one at Uphill Yard ( Weston s Mare ) - new elbow - recent mounts - running ok.
He's looking at £400.

Nothing in it for me - just happen to know he tried to sell it the last boat jumble he went to.

Geoff

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
That sounds a bit steep?

We bought a complete 3GM30F for $500/£350 in Trinidad - the owner was renewing - we saw it running, then once it was out of his boat, I spent a hot sweaty morning unbolting anything and everything that'd come off as a spare for ours. Actually, Lesley got the worst of the job, carrying all the bits 2/3 mile up the road to the marina which we were moored-up in; I gather cylinder heads and heat-exchangers in particular get a tad heavy after the first half-mile.

Tranona

Visit site
I sold the 25 year old Yanmar 1GM out of my boat (to replace with a Nanni) for £1200 and had a queue of people wanting to buy it. Price, as ever, depends on supply and demand, and good running 1GMs are rare.