Where are you spending winter?

Star-Lord

Visit site
Wondering where people are spending winter. No one seems to care about stamping passports. Will France really care if you overstay your welcome?
Obviously this question is for liveaboards in the EU who are not residents of a European country.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I am now almost a Greek resident , however I will probably winter on Sicily if I survive corvid.
I hope you do survive! How are you feeling? As regards to wintering in Sicily.... that would suit me for sure - do you think they would enforce 90 days rule? I know certain place do not care! Winters in Greece are a bit wet I hear.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I was locked down in Lavrio port for the best part of 6 months, not the best place to be ,it did not rain as much as the Ionion . The problem was southerly gales were coming straight into the port.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Not many other voices in this conversation! Looks like the cruising lifestyle is dead in Europe.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I think the fact is that the forums are damaged only a few traveling others living on boats in marinas .
The people traveling are shouted down by the houseboat crowd and two week charter's
I am hoping I am wrong and willing to accept that

geem

Visit site
Wondering where people are spending winter. No one seems to care about stamping passports. Will France really care if you overstay your welcome?
Obviously this question is for liveaboards in the EU who are not residents of a European country.
We are heading for Spain, Portugal, Canaries then across the pond to bask in the sunshine and heat all winter?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I will be heading for the Caribbean, via Canaries. It was many years since I spent a few years in the West Indies so no recent experience. However, I reckon Martinique will be a good landfall. I will ask around about beaurocracy in the other islsnds and decide from there.

geem

Visit site
I will be heading for the Caribbean, via Canaries. It was many years since I spent a few years in the West Indies so no recent experience. However, I reckon Martinique will be a good landfall. I will ask around about beaurocracy in the other islsnds and decide from there.
Antigua is open and they do better rum?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Antigua is open and they do better rum?
I liked Antigua but it seems a difficult landfall after a long passage. Lots of reefs and difficult to identify the harbour entrance. Maybe with GPS this time it will not be a white knuckle approach. Talking of rum, how does it compare to the Tici rum in Martinque. Actually I think it was a cocktail. Tici seems a bit odd written down so maybe I spelt it wrong. I guess you will aim for Antigua.

England is on Swedish TV right now playing a local EU team. Had a lot of fun yesterday convincing my neighbors that this will be the last time these local teams will be allowed to play under their own flag. Like USA they (the EU) will only have one team. Oh such fun.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I liked Antigua but it seems a difficult landfall after a long passage. Lots of reefs and difficult to identify the harbour entrance. Maybe with GPS this time it will not be a white knuckle approach. Talking of rum, how does it compare to the Tici rum in Martinque. Actually I think it was a cocktail. Tici seems a bit odd written down so maybe I spelt it wrong. I guess you will aim for Antigua.

England is on Swedish TV right now playing a local EU team. Had a lot of fun yesterday convincing my neighbors that this will be the last time these local teams will be allowed to play under their own flag. Like USA they (the EU) will only have one team. Oh such fun.
Falmouth harbour, Antigua is an easy approach with a bouyed channel. Alternatively head for Jolly Harbour.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Interesting. Is Antigua kind of still British. I know that the obsession with 90 in 180 does not apply but I have forgotten what does apply in countries outside the EU. It would certainly be refreshing to speak English to the officials.

I guess the important need is an easy clearance. From days before GPS it was the done thing to aim for Barbados because the loom of light from that remote island was a correction to final approach. The loom could be seen for close to 100 miles.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Sicily, again, even though we were quite ready to move on. But sometimes life kicks you in the cojones.
Do you know of anyone spending winter in Sweden? They give 180 day visas so you go to Finland and then back to Sweden. Starting to miss the cold winters.

Other threads that may be of interest