Where are you spending winter?

Bajansailor

Visit site
I guess the important need is an easy clearance. From days before GPS it was the done thing to aim for Barbados because the loom of light from that remote island was a correction to final approach. The loom could be seen for close to 100 miles.

You could always aim to visit us again in Barbados re your first landfall in the New World - and then you won't have to beat to windward from the Windwards to get here later on.
Have a look at Chris Doyle's note about Barbados in my signature.
Lots should be happening here by next winter - tourism is picking up again, and we seem to have Covid under control (although there are still one or two new cases reported in the newspaper each day recently), with approx 30% of the population fully vaccinated already.

And there is lots to see and do here - my pal Dave on Puddytat recently crossed late from Gibraltar to Barbados non stop, arrived 2 weeks ago, and they are planning on staying here for the hurricane season now. If a hurricane does threaten us here, then they will scoot south.
PUDDYTAT (Sailing Vessel) Registered in United Kingdom - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 0, MMSI 235064205, Call Sign 2AZM2
(Puddy is a 40' Catana who has now been around the world).

BurnitBlue

Visit site
You could always aim to visit us again in Barbados re your first landfall in the New World - and then you won't have to beat to windward from the Windwards to get here later on.
Have a look at Chris Doyle's note about Barbados in my signature.
Lots should be happening here by next winter - tourism is picking up again, and we seem to have Covid under control (although there are still one or two new cases reported in the newspaper each day recently), with approx 30% of the population fully vaccinated already.

And there is lots to see and do here - my pal Dave on Puddytat recently crossed late from Gibraltar to Barbados non stop, arrived 2 weeks ago, and they are planning on staying here for the hurricane season now. If a hurricane does threaten us here, then they will scoot south.
PUDDYTAT (Sailing Vessel) Registered in United Kingdom - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 0, MMSI 235064205, Call Sign 2AZM2
(Puddy is a 40' Catana who has now been around the world).
I am surprised that Barbados is still the landfall of choice with 300 arrivals each year. The lack of GPS made the loom of the lights very important. There was no loom from the high volcanic islands. I know this for a fact that still many years later gives me nightmares and constant speculation about guardian angels and pure luck.

I had to laugh at Doyle's comment about being narrowly missed being named after a saint, especially looking at the list of football teams on his chartlet.

Another pre-GPS reason for Barbados was to run down the latitude using only noon sights and at least have a good idea which island you arrived at.

Barbaria

Visit site
Not many other voices in this conversation! Looks like the cruising lifestyle is dead in Europe.

You mean the Brit EU cruising lifestyle?
As we are and many other are EU residents we plan to sail all winter if possible. As we did this winter and the winter before that and the…..etc etc.

Why is Sicily so popular in the winter?

capnsensible

Visit site
I am surprised that Barbados is still the landfall of choice with 300 arrivals each year. The lack of GPS made the loom of the lights very important. There was no loom from the high volcanic islands. I know this for a fact that still many years later gives me nightmares and constant speculation about guardian angels and pure luck.

I had to laugh at Doyle's comment about being narrowly missed being named after a saint, especially looking at the list of football teams on his chartlet.

Another pre-GPS reason for Barbados was to run down the latitude using only noon sights and at least have a good idea which island you arrived at.
Heave to in the dark bit and enter in the light bit...