When do you pole out?

peter2407

Visit site
Again, more of a survey thing: When would you pole out, and when wouldn't you bother even though doing so would be a benefit?

Kelpie

Visit site
When it's not my turn to be on the helm. SWMBO won't do unlaldylike things such as standing on the coachroof holding a boathook.

(really ought to buy a proper pole some day)

TiggerToo

Visit site
Again, more of a survey thing: When would you pole out, and when wouldn't you bother even though doing so would be a benefit?

if I am "running" with the wind > 120 degrees. It helps the genoa work much better. In those conditions I also tend to hjave a jibe preventer rigged.

Leighb

Visit site
We also use the spinnaker pole to pole out the genoa, main criteria are, enough breeze to be worth sailing, and a reasonably long run to make the effort worth while. I also fit the jibe preventer in this situation.

I wouldn't bother if it was only for a mile or so.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
When the distance to be travelled is not enough to justify flying the spinnaker, or if it's too choppy to rig the spinnaker, but also round Greek islands where the wind direction is changing all the time. It's a technique we use often.

Like this, off the south of Sardinia. Less than an hour to the next port.

P1010162.jpg

Last edited:

Evadne

Visit site
Whenever running downwind such that the genoa won't fill, I put the spinnaker pole up on the genoa sheets. The Genny is nearly as big as the spinnaker, which I rarely use. In stronger winds I have poled out the working jib, but less speed is gained that way.

prv

Visit site
When it's not my turn to be on the helm. SWMBO won't do unlaldylike things such as standing on the coachroof holding a boathook.

Can you not hitch the boathook to the shrouds? That's what I do on the rare occasions I pole out the staysail.

The occasions are rare because my staysail and jib are each very small. Upwind or reaching they both set and work well together, but dead downwind it's impossible to get both to fill. Just the staysail alone doesn't provide much power, so it barely seems worth it. I quite often furl them when running, and proceed under main and mizzen - goosewinged because that balances the helm better.

Pete

Kelpie

Visit site
Can you not hitch the boathook to the shrouds?

Yes I suppose I could drill a hole in the shaft and rig up something.
Last time we were out I fished a broom out of the locker, and felt quite smug after I managed to bungee the head to a shroud and tie the clew to the hole in the top of the broom's handle. It worked perfectly for about an hour until a gust came along and the head snapped off!

Long-term plan is to adapt my spare Wayfarer boom to use as a pole on the bigger boat, I just need to get around to buying the fittings for the ends, and persuading SWMBO to let me clutter up the side deck with it.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
We also use the spinnaker pole to pole out the genoa, main criteria are, enough breeze to be worth sailing, and a reasonably long run to make the effort worth while. I also fit the jibe preventer in this situation.

I wouldn't bother if it was only for a mile or so.

ditto.... and with the Monitor connected it can make something like a Channel crossing seem easy.

Billjratt

Visit site
Beware, the boathook may not stand the pace if there's any worthwhile wind! (and how/where do you fix the inboard end?) I tried a windsurfer mast once, and it bent double.
I've just made - and tested, an aluminium jibstick and it works a treat.
I will use it any time the wind goes too far abaft the beam. A wheel steered motor-sailer needs the added stability of this arrangement if one is to keep both sails hoisted.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
I'd agree, the boathook is not ideal! Although it's a little better than the broom was...

Just a thought: if anybody has a pole which has ended up a bit bent, I wonder if I could get the end fittings to stick on my spare dinghy boom? It's a long shot but has to be a better option than trying to get something 3m long delivered out to the islands, and seeing as I already have the pole itself...

shamrock

www.tydewi.co.uk
Twin poles were the best investment I made on our boat

No spinnaker so we pole out one whenever the wind goes aft of 120. On a deep reach the jib won't stay goosewinged without a pole and the speed increase is significant. Have carried this full sail up to about 18-20 knots apparent. Only takes a few minutes to set up, even singlehanded.

Passage making we pole out both - the sea looks pretty calm but it was blowing about 25-30 and we were doing a solid and steady 6.5, with the wind shifting 20 degrees either side of the stern. Great long distance rig. Ran like this for a thousand miles in eight days just adjusting the furler when the wind rose and fell.

Last edited:

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
I made a 2nd lightweight pole using a B&Q TV pole with poly-what-not Piston ends from Force4. I put O fittings both sides of the mast to hold the pole.

This is just what I need, but could you be a bit more specific? I just looked for TV poles on the B&Q website and pole ends on Force 4 and drew a blank on both. What length, diameter, gauge of pole do you use?

prv

Visit site
No need to drill any holes - I just had a clove hitch round the boathook and a couple of rolling hitches on the shrouds.

Beware, the boathook may not stand the pace if there's any worthwhile wind! (and how/where do you fix the inboard end?)

One of the fabric pockets in my cockpit (meant as halyard bags but surplus to that requirement) is full of bits of "whammy" - lengths of line in various sizes and from 18" to 4' or so long, ready for whenever something needs lashing, guying, or otherwise securing. I simply take an appropriate piece, put a clove hitch round the boathook with equal tails either side of the knot, and then rolling hitch these tails to the shroud, one above and one below so that the boathook is suspended between them. In theory I ought to be using something more than a clove hitch to prevent the boathook sliding lengthways, but in practice it works OK.

I tried a windsurfer mast once, and it bent double.

Your boat must be considerably bigger than mine, then. My staysail is small enough that even in double-reefed weather I work the single-part sheets without winches. Should conditions ever reach the point that the load on these sheets comes anywhere near breaking my substantial (allegedly teak) boathook, I assure you that poling out for an extra knot is unlikely to be among my priorities :)

Pete

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I just looked for TV poles on the B&Q website and pole ends on Force 4 and drew a blank on both. What length, diameter, gauge of pole do you use?

I didn't find them on the websites either, but found them in the shops ;)
Pole is about 2 mtrs long and about 35mm D.
I had to pad the ends by 2 or 3mm so they sat snug in the pole.

William_H

Visit site
Poling the jib

We have some races (social type) at our club where spin are not allowed. So most people pole out the jib using the spin pole. This not only gives more speed (slightly) but keeps the jib stable so minimises the stress on the helmsman of trying to keep the jib full.
The spin pole is almost always too long so puts extra load on the pole. A shorter purpose built pole is far better.
A pole can also be used to pole out the jib when reaching. ie on the leeward side of the mainsail. This gives an effective sheeting point for the jib that is well outboard and forward of the usual sheeting point. So jib sheet can be pulled fairly tight to get the top working.
Ironic that today we were to begin Friday afternoon social races at our club when pole would be used. Weather however is terrible with rain and gale warning. An inauspicious beginning. But then it is mid winter. olewill