What's up with boats in marinas on AirBnB

NingNong247

Visit site
Not sure of the best subforum for this. I see a handful of boats on marinas which are on AirBnB. Do you think those people are being sneaky, or are the marinas okay with it?

Just curious.

Tranona

Visit site
You are right. In general marinas do not like it and most boats are not good for short term rental. They can only be used for accommodation because once they move they become commercial boats and need to be coded. When the idea first started there was a flurry of activity but as you say it is now only aa handful because owners have found it more trouble than it is worth and renters do not see the attraction.

PlanB

Visit site
I wouldn't want anyone not familiar with boat systems (eg plumbing) staying on my boat.
And someone in my Spain marina some years ago was letting their boat as holiday accommodation and it caught fire!

ashtead

Visit site
I did see an Airbnb mobo at Brixham marina and have even spotted one at Lymington yacht haven surprisingly. Given the demand for spaces was surprised they haven’t been turfed out. I don’t think presence of an Airbnb boat in a marina is attractive to other boat owners,loud cockpit parties,itinerant visitors taking trolleys ,screaming kids,barking/yapping dogs etc etc. hardly a recipe for quiet enjoyment .

Poignard

Visit site
I did see an Airbnb mobo at Brixham marina and have even spotted one at Lymington yacht haven surprisingly. Given the demand for spaces was surprised they haven’t been turfed out. I don’t think presence of an Airbnb boat in a marina is attractive to other boat owners,loud cockpit parties,itinerant visitors taking trolleys ,screaming kids,barking/yapping dogs etc etc. hardly a recipe for quiet enjoyment .
I suppose the problem the marina management has is how to stamp it out without imposing irksome restrictions on genuine sailors.

Poignard

Visit site
I would think a no subletting rule would be pretty easy. They're advertising out in the open, stating clearly which marina they're in with a picture of the boat. Not hard to identify.
But the problem is not the sub-letting, as such but the potential, or actual, bad behaviour of AirBnB tenants.

If I wished to sub-let my boat, by private arrangement, to someone who does not cause you any nuisance, on what grounds could you complain?

NingNong247

Visit site
Me as the marina owner? It's my marina, and I have no advantage in letting you sublet. It's not like marinas struggle to fill up.

ylop

Visit site
I don’t think presence of an Airbnb boat in a marina is attractive to other boat owners,loud cockpit parties,itinerant visitors taking trolleys ,screaming kids,barking/yapping dogs etc etc. hardly a recipe for quiet enjoyment.
And actually, for the average AirBnB user the average marina boat is not that inviting a booking either. Small, potentially damp, at least slightly rolly, funny plumbing (or a walk to a toilet block), noisy halyards, neighbours who probably don't want you there, poor wifi etc...

I suppose the problem the marina management has is how to stamp it out without imposing irksome restrictions on genuine sailors.
At least to some extent, the security arrangements at many marina's must make it a PITA. How does the Airbnb tenant get the code or security fob?

Me as the marina owner? It's my marina, and I have no advantage in letting you sublet. It's not like marinas struggle to fill up.
To some extent the reason marinas are popular and in high demand is they treat the customer very well. As soon as you start saying no to customers you get a reputation as being unhelpful (even if justified) and may find yourself less attractive. However it may be preferable for a marina to appear busy and well-used, and for boats to be occupied and maintained (which an AirBnB presumably would be).

Clancy Moped

Visit site
We had one boat on a big long pontoon doing it in Port Vell, Barcelona. When the marina said stop, the thieving stopped overnight......go figure.

Yngmar

Visit site
Sneaky, and usually not long lived. Landlubber tourist expectations don't work well on boats. How does toilet work? Water stop running? What is tank? Why is boat rocking? Something beeped and now lights don't work. Noises under the floor in the night. Storm scary, almost died, dropped phone in water, zero stars rating.

That, and marinas don't like it, for good reason. Some seem to like renting out those purpose built floating apartments though. Different story, the marina fills the water tanks and they're designed for non-boaters. They've had one in Alghero, but it must be odd being stared at by the sailors passing the pontoon like you are weird aliens :)

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
Sorry, bit late, on this one , here, in Las Palmas, they found that some people, had up to 5 different boats in the marina, using Air B&B, and other similar companies. The marina then employed a new member of staff, with a computer , who trawls through the rental sites , looking for anyone trying to rent their boats as holiday accomodation ! A few days later , in multiple languages, posters were put up, all around the marina, proclaiming that Air B&B rental, or similar, is not allowed ! Offenders, would be hit with a € 6000 fine , and as a second offence the vessel in question , would be confiscated ! Suddenly there were lots of empty spaces, mainly for motor boats. I had a Norwegian , next to me, so it was easy to see what he was doing, him cleaning the boat and new people 3 - 4 days at a time. One time , he let it to a couple of youngsters, who often sat on deck, smoking dope ! Plenty of local boats downwind ! I passed the owner , one day in one of the cafes, and I told him, he risked having his boat seized , if anyone complained , about the dope smoking , to the Port Police or Guardia Civil Maritimo ! ( Ok this was before the marina was aware of the Air B&B thing ) He did not seem to grasp the severity , of the problem, nothing happened, but as soon as the Air B&B posters went up, the boat was gone !

SandyP

Visit site
Sorry, bit late, on this one , here, in Las Palmas, they found that some people, had up to 5 different boats in the marina, using Air B&B, and other similar companies. The marina then employed a new member of staff, with a computer , who trawls through the rental sites , looking for anyone trying to rent their boats as holiday accomodation ! A few days later , in multiple languages, posters were put up, all around the marina, proclaiming that Air B&B rental, or similar, is not allowed ! Offenders, would be hit with a € 6000 fine , and as a second offence the vessel in question , would be confiscated ! Suddenly there were lots of empty spaces, mainly for motor boats. I had a Norwegian , next to me, so it was easy to see what he was doing, him cleaning the boat and new people 3 - 4 days at a time. One time , he let it to a couple of youngsters, who often sat on deck, smoking dope ! Plenty of local boats downwind ! I passed the owner , one day in one of the cafes, and I told him, he risked having his boat seized , if anyone complained , about the dope smoking , to the Port Police or Guardia Civil Maritimo ! ( Ok this was before the marina was aware of the Air B&B thing ) He did not seem to grasp the severity , of the problem, nothing happened, but as soon as the Air B&B posters went up, the boat was gone !

One wonders where those boats go, as they clearly intend to carry on doing the same business

Do much dope smoked around here no one would notice

DownWest

Visit site
Up in Minimes, and a bit in Rochefort, several boats are used as accomodation by students at the universities. So far , not been subject to regulation.. AirB&B also been mentioned.
But the tax offices is chasing them now.