What's up with boats in marinas on AirBnB

Momac

Visit site
I see a handful of boats on marinas which are on AirBnB. Do you think those people are being sneaky, or are the marinas okay with it?

Sneaky

On a similar note there was a boat near us that only went out with a group of people on board . They went out for two hours , came back and left the marina. It was a different group every time (other than the owner). The passengers didn't have much conversation .
Quite obvious people paying for a 2 hr trip.
I dare say the marina knew nothing of it...............until one day they were gone.

ashtead

Visit site
I believe there was a thriving business on the Thames accomadting students but I think the days of the Rachman landlord of the river came to an end .he didn’t seem a popular figure with Thames boaters though.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I think there is the private/public marina difference to be considered: a private marina is one thing, but for a public owned marina (like about 90% of marinas around here): would you locally elected authority prefer the boat to be empty, or hosting a number of people who might hop to the local bar or restaurant?
Not much different from saying "we won't allow charter boats".

ps I have never let and never will let my boat, despite all the requests to rent it as a dormitory during August Interceltic festival :)

Tinto

Visit site
I have a house on Airbnb and there is no way I would consider buying a boat and using it is an AirBnB. Some guests are hard enough work as it is without the complexities of boat life.
I am in Scotland so I am currently applying for my short term holiday let licence from the council. I expect that would be doable but if my marina is anything to go by, getting an electrical safety certificate would be impossible. I measure 10V-24V between Earth and neutral so that’s a straight fail.

Seastoke

Visit site
My mate had a berth in Brixham next to an Airbnb , when he wasnt there he could see from his web cam kids climbing on his boat. Marina was not very interested , he has now sold his boat.

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
I don’t let letting friends stay unattended on ours due to
Sneaky, and usually not long lived. Landlubber tourist expectations don't work well on boats. How does toilet work? Water stop running? What is tank? Why is boat rocking? Something beeped and now lights don't work. Noises under the floor in the night. Storm scary, almost died, dropped phone in water, zero stars rating.

That, and marinas don't like it, for good reason. Some seem to like renting out those purpose built floating apartments though. Different story, the marina fills the water tanks and they're designed for non-boaters. They've had one in Alghero, but it must be odd being stared at by the sailors passing the pontoon like you are weird aliens :)

I agree completely. Why has the mains power tripped?- when they’re running all heating and three hairdryers, all the showers etc at the same time. How have we run out of water? (Again!)