Whats the silliest question you've been asked...

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
I'm doing the ARC this November with some friends.

Since deciding to go, conversations with no boaty friends mainly run a consistent course of questions such as

"How long will it take"
"How much water do you need"

sensible questions I'm sure you'll agree, but then you get some like

"So will you be anchoring at night?" .... "no, the Atlantic tends to be quite deep"

or

"How do you cook?"...."in a oven like you"

So whats the silliest/funniest question have you had about crossing the Atlantic.

I need some afternoon delights :)

aslabend

Visit site
I think everyone has had the "will you be anchoring at night?".

Don't know the dumbest question I was asked but before I set off from Beaufort NC, I was in a bar chatting to a local and he asked why I was there. I said I was about to sail across the Atlantic he asked how big the boat was. I said 38 foot and he said "that's far to small, you must be *ukin*crazy". Turned out he was a retired stoker from a US aircraft carrier. Every boat must seem pretty damn small to him.

Poignard

Visit site
Years ago, when I was in the RN and you still had to wear uniform ashore, I was going home on leave and I got chatting to an old lady on the train. She said "I suppose you see a lot of the world but don't you get fed up with eating fish?" :eek:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Two friends were sailboarding on the west coast of Ireland. An elderly lady walked along the beach when they were resting ashore and asked them where they came from.
'England'.

'what, on those things?'

SHUG

Visit site
When I was wet behind the ears a lock-keeper on the Crinan Canal told me they were only opening one gate of the lock to conserve water.

colhel

Visit site
So whats the silliest/funniest question have you had about crossing the Atlantic.

I need some afternoon delights :)

After spending 20 days on a 32 footer from Bermuda to the Azores, then getting caught in a storm off the bay of Bisacy and nearly getting run down by a container ship.
I was asked, "did you enjoy it?". :rolleyes:

Have to say, one of the best experiences I've had. Only wish I was sailing somewhere warm like you, rather than just the return leg.

Kimmo

Visit site
Before we left for our one year cruise, the few funniest (or silliest) question that our friends asked from us were:

- What are you going to eat?
- Can you watch TV?

Also a skipper of a brand new 43 footer when we told him that we were leaving with our 40 year old 30 footer asked:

- With that? (with his eyes almost popping out of his head)

Blueboatman

Visit site
Ok true one. Provisioning in Canaries for a crossing, it was easiest to plonk all the produce and juice cartons and 'stuff' in the Avon dinghy then transfer via bleachy water ( cockroach eggs) and drying in the sun, to a suitable locker.
I thought it would be interesting vaguely to take a piccy.
Somehow whenever people subsequently flicked through a pic or two, the question was.....''and you towed your food behind all the way, huh?''

robinwr

Visit site
Where do you plug your generator in when you're on the mooring?

How do you know where the wind is coming from?

Had the anchor question last weekend........the same weekend that said guest brushed her teeth with the tap running.

Avocet

Visit site
Not really a question, more of a request, but from my (then) pre-teenage daughter:

Dad, can you move that sail please? It's blocking the sun.

RupertW

Visit site
Not really a question, more of a request, but from my (then) pre-teenage daughter:

Dad, can you move that sail please? It's blocking the sun.

You jest but I've had to tack or gybe many times over the last few decades after that request from girlfriend/wife. I ask myself whether I want to get there 20 minutes earlier or have them come sailing the next weekend.

Silliest question when I crossed the Atlantic was people looking at the World map up on our wall at home and asking my wife, "How far across is he now?"