Whats the silliest question you've been asked...

fishermantwo

Visit site
When I launch my cat yacht tender, converted sailing cat at the local boat ramp I regularly get "what's that!" To which I reply "its a boat, hang around the boat ramp for awhile and you will see plenty".

PabloPicasso

Visit site
i was in Canada and a lumberjack asked me "where you ol from" England i replied. he paused for several seconds before asking me " what language da ya ol speak over there"

Not much to do with Atlantic sailing (It was in B.C.) but certainly dumb

William_H

Visit site
Silly questions

Way back I built a plywood catamaran. 23ft but with cabin across the middle like a real one. several times I was asked by people sitting in the cockpit " what is under here?" pointing to the cockpit floor. olewill

cmedsailor

Visit site
Probably not silly but the most common one...
"How many bedrooms does your boat has?"

My neighbour always used to ask me "did you catch any fish?" every time he saw my windsurfing board on my car....

Edit:
Oh yes, whenever I bring "non-boat related" people to the boat and they my little 2hp honda outboard on the back rail I get the same question..."is that the boat's engine?".

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
The silliest question and asked repeatedly by SWMBO "how can we afford the boat and the weekly food shopping?".

Cheers, Brian.

When we were looking to buy our first boat, other half put that very same question to a friend who already had a boat. His reply was priceless.
'You'll be able to afford the boat, it's everything else you'll struggle with'.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
I'm doing the ARC this November with some friends.

Since deciding to go, conversations with no boaty friends mainly run a consistent course of questions such as

"How long will it take"
"How much water do you need"

sensible questions I'm sure you'll agree, but then you get some like

"So will you be anchoring at night?" .... "no, the Atlantic tends to be quite deep"

or

"How do you cook?"...."in a oven like you"

So whats the silliest/funniest question have you had about crossing the Atlantic.

I need some afternoon delights :)

I will invite you to spend the day on our stand at the Southampton Boat Show.........