What is the smallest/cheapest SW/SSB radio to get weather faxea

Neeves

Visit site
Most SSB need an insulated backstay, (maybe only if you want to transmit?) and an 'in water' earth plate (connected to the earth terminal of the SSB or tuner (I forget :( ). None of this is difficult but the insulated backstay, or the insulators, are not cheap and you would need a new (or altered - shortened) back stay

In our original installation we used insulators that were 2 shackles back to back with a tiny plastic sheave, maybe 10mm diameter, separating them, top and bottom of the backstay. They were quite short maybe 100mm each) and we did not invest in fancy insulators. These shackles were sold as insulators for the wires through stanchions and were available through many chandlers (and were cheap). I 'filled' the shackles with transparent silicone to keep them 'flexible' but allow them to retain their 'length' as 2 shackles could easily flop over and touch each other. Don't ask for photos - this was 30 years ago! Ir worked very well.

To emphasise - we still use the SSB, it has been robust and useful for weather forecast, vocal, and we log into the cray fish SSB net when we are crossing Bass Strait and transitting along Tasmania's coast.

Our ICOM M800 was a radio, tuner (AT120 ?) and control box. The control bow was a bit like a command mike, but large. It controlled the frequencies and had the speaker and mike. Most ICOMs are a radio, incorporating all the controls, and tuner. - I think M700 The advantage of the M800 was that the controller was much smaller than the radio and could more easily be installed and the radio itself could be located in a cupboard, out of the way. I don't know what eebygum is offering. The M800 was not a success as later models were similar to the M700. The connection between the 'command' box of the M800 to the radio was a fibre optic cable - that was easily damaged (we damaged 2)

Jonathan

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I’m looking to cross Biscay this summer to Northern Spain from SW Ireland.

I have a Garmin Inreach which will give me spot marine forecasts and communication with somebody shorebased for weather updates ,but I believe you cannot beat a synoptic chart for making your own decision.

I will have an IPad and I. Understand all the technology from a software/app perspective but what is the cheapest SW/SSB radio available to download audio weather faxes ? Either new model or cheap off eBay.
Several good models have been indicated, should you prefer some different ones just check it can tune at least with 1kHz interval, also make sure they have a knob called "Fine Tuning" or similar, that will help to correctly position the two spectrum "peaks" of fax (or rtty) transmissions in the software; just tune 2kHz down from the nominal fax frequency then trim it upwards with the fine tuning button.

Minerva

Visit site
Most SSB need an insulated backstay, (maybe only if you want to transmit?) and an 'in water' earth plate (connected to the earth terminal of the SSB or tuner (I forget :( ). None of this is difficult but the insulated backstay, or the insulators, are not cheap and you would need a new (or altered - shortened) back stay

In our original installation we used insulators that were 2 shackles back to back with a tiny plastic sheave, maybe 10mm diameter, separating them, top and bottom of the backstay. They were quite short maybe 100mm each) and we did not invest in fancy insulators. These shackles were sold as insulators for the wires through stanchions and were available through many chandlers (and were cheap). I 'filled' the shackles with transparent silicone to keep them 'flexible' but allow them to retain their 'length' as 2 shackles could easily flop over and touch each other. Don't ask for photos - this was 30 years ago! Ir worked very well.

To emphasise - we still use the SSB, it has been robust and useful for weather forecast, vocal, and we log into the cray fish SSB net when we are crossing Bass Strait and transitting along Tasmania's coast.

Our ICOM M800 was a radio, tuner (AT120 ?) and control box. The control bow was a bit like a command mike, but large. It controlled the frequencies and had the speaker and mike. Most ICOMs are a radio, incorporating all the controls, and tuner. - I think M700 The advantage of the M800 was that the controller was much smaller than the radio and could more easily be installed and the radio itself could be located in a cupboard, out of the way. I don't know what eebygum is offering. The M800 was not a success as later models were similar to the M700. The connection between the 'command' box of the M800 to the radio was a fibre optic cable - that was easily damaged (we damaged 2)

Jonathan

Insulated backstay level of installation is only needed to send as well as receive signals.

My SSB aerial is a wire bolted onto a protruding toerail bolt - in effect my aerial is the alloy toerail/stantions/guardwires and works just fine for receiving weather faxes

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Insulated backstay level of installation is only needed to send as well as receive signals.

My SSB aerial is a wire bolted onto a protruding toerail bolt - in effect my aerial is the alloy toerail/stantions/guardwires and works just fine for receiving weather faxes
The Icom PCR1000 comes with a short telescopic antenna. Ours received perfectly well.

eebygum

Visit site

As I have a keel stepped mast, I was thinking maybe a wire from the Nav station to the mast might work ?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
AM, FM and SSB are all types of radio wave modulation. Receiving SSB is no different to receiving FM radio, depending on the frequency - the radio has to be a bit different internally, but the aerial is the same.

It's a bit like how VHF stands for "very high frequency", as opposed to HF (high frequency) on which SSB is more common. Your boat's VHF transmits and receives in FM, but we don't call it the FM radio because that name is associated with music broadcasts.

You have the insulated backstay and earth plate for transmitting, and don't need them for receiving.

I hope that's helpful, and apologise if not.

st599

Visit site
AM, FM and SSB are all types of radio wave modulation. Receiving SSB is no different to receiving FM radio, depending on the frequency - the radio has to be a bit different internally, but the aerial is the same.

It's a bit like how VHF stands for "very high frequency", as opposed to HF (high frequency) on which SSB is more common. Your boat's VHF transmits and receives in FM, but we don't call it the FM radio because that name is associated with music broadcasts.

You have the insulated backstay and earth plate for transmitting, and don't need them for receiving.

I hope that's helpful, and apologise if not.

And to add more confusion, WeFax is FM encoded as Single Side Band Suppressed Carrier in a band usually used by AM.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I've just completed a similar setup uisng a NASA Target HF3. Note the P or W models are suitable, the M (by far the most prevalent on the used market) much less so due to output protocols.
Either way HF fax requires SSB.
The wire antenna provided with the NASA reciaver is far too sensitive and recieves noise incredibly well! Lower=tech answers like using guard rails often seem better.
Using the ipad's mic to pick up the audio output can work, some even say well. It didn't wotk well for me, too much noise (literally) absorbed with the signal even at home but in a boat at sea - I wouldn't try iy personally.
Chapter and verse on how to feed signal direct is in a previous thread on this subject from last autumn. The clarity of the result is worth the effort imho.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
I bought a Tecsun PL-880to do this

I have used a Software radio to practice the decoding at home with BlackCat software. All is explained in the tutorial that I made for a friend

I will try using the SWR with SeaTTY

TS

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I've just completed a similar setup uisng a NASA Target HF3. Note the P or W models are suitable, the M (by far the most prevalent on the used market) much less so due to output protocols.
Either way HF fax requires SSB.
The wire antenna provided with the NASA reciaver is far too sensitive and recieves noise incredibly well! Lower=tech answers like using guard rails often seem better.
Using the ipad's mic to pick up the audio output can work, some even say well. It didn't wotk well for me, too much noise (literally) absorbed with the signal even at home but in a boat at sea - I wouldn't try iy personally.
Chapter and verse on how to feed signal direct is in a previous thread on this subject from last autumn. The clarity of the result is worth the effort imho.
Nasa recommend a 70 ohm coax to an antenna remote from noise. I have an insulated backstay I intend to use.

Bilgediver

Visit site

I have used a Software radio to practice the decoding at home with BlackCat software. All is explained in the tutorial that I made for a friend

TS

You will not regret it. There are many software programs available that will decode weather faxes. Many are not particularly good but fine if experimenting. However very few also have the facility to be left running in the background and receive anf file the faxes while unattended . Not only does Seatty provide clear faxes but it can be left to run and get on with the job .

Skylark

Visit site

TS
Thanks for posting this. It starts with the MeteoFx32 webpage. Is this just to find a schedule of broadcasts?

You made it look very simple. "Save" a signal cycle from your SDR radio and "load" it into the Black Cat software ($20 fee?) and voila. Is this right?

How will your Tecsun communicate with the software?

You will not regret it. There are many software programs available that will decode weather faxes. Many are not particularly good but fine if experimenting. However very few also have the facility to be left running in the background and receive anf file the faxes while unattended . Not only does Seatty provide clear faxes but it can be left to run and get on with the job .

Does SeaTTY ($50) operate with seemingly similar ease? How does the software communicate with the radio? Why is it worth a little more than Black Cat (not confrontational, genuine question :) )

Great thread, thanks to all.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Thanks for posting this. It starts with the MeteoFx32 webpage. Is this just to find a schedule of broadcasts?

You made it look very simple. "Save" a signal cycle from your SDR radio and "load" it into the Black Cat software ($20 fee?) and voila. Is this right?

How will your Tecsun communicate with the software?

Does SeaTTY ($50) operate with seemingly similar ease? How does the software communicate with the radio? Why is it worth a little more than Black Cat (not confrontational, genuine question :) )

Great thread, thanks to all.

Does Black Cat have an interface that works with various Icom and Yaesu radios? In the real world I find that any relationship between the fax being transmitted from Northwood and the actual advertised fax schedule can be purely coincidental so would not count on randomly switching frequencies a benefit. Just tune into the station that works for you and save the transmissions for later perusal.

I do admire the folk that can write software that takes complete control of our radios however the only one I have found that really works is JTDX. Mind you Winlink coupled to an SCS Pactor modem does pretty well even if your particular radio is not in the list.