What is the smallest/cheapest SW/SSB radio to get weather faxea

eebygum

Visit site
I’m looking to cross Biscay this summer to Northern Spain from SW Ireland.

I have a Garmin Inreach which will give me spot marine forecasts and communication with somebody shorebased for weather updates ,but I believe you cannot beat a synoptic chart for making your own decision.

I will have an IPad and I. Understand all the technology from a software/app perspective but what is the cheapest SW/SSB radio available to download audio weather faxes ? Either new model or cheap off eBay.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I've been using a Belka-dx for a year. It's fantastic but I'm not sure you can get one right now as they are hand made in Belarus?
Any of the Tecsun or Sangean models will be fine.

npf1

Visit site
If you‘re interested, I’ve got an Icom Ssb and tuner plus a few other bits that I need to sell. I might also have a NASA shortwave receiver - but will have to check as it might have sold whenI did a boat jumble last Oct.

Neeves

Visit site
I believe SSB (with tuner) is very 20th Century and many people have removed them. They might be available at quite reasonable prices. However I don't know what is transmitted in Europe. SSB is still very active in Australia and marine weather forecast are transmitted by our weather bureau every 4 hours for both 'inshore' waters and in Australia's Solas oceans, Southern Ocean and Indian Ocean. We religiously listen to the SSB forecasts. We have a Sony receiver, as listed by Roberto, but use it to listen to music or the news. Its not quite as good as a dedicated SSB but the latter costs, at new, factorially more.

For a SSB transceiver you will need a new, or different, operators licence and may need to register the device (we do in Australia).

I would check current second hand SSB prices - you might be surprised (I don't know)

Jonathan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I believe SSB (with tuner) is very 20th Century and many people have removed them. They might be available at quite reasonable prices. However I don't know what is transmitted in Europe. SSB is still very active in Australia and marine weather forecast are transmitted by our weather bureau every 4 hours for both 'inshore' waters and in Australia's Solas oceans, Southern Ocean and Indian Ocean. We religiously listen to the SSB forecasts. We have a Sony receiver, as listed by Roberto, but use it to listen to music or the news. Its not quite as good as a dedicated SSB but the latter costs, at new, factorially more.

For a SSB transceiver you will need a new, or different, operators licence and may need to register the device (we do in Australia).

I would check current second hand SSB prices - you might be surprised (I don't know)

Jonathan
If I am understanding him correctly he wishes to download the synoptic charts broadcast from UK for navy purposes and similar ones from Hamburg. This is very old technology and may not even exist now. I last used it in 2002.

I apologise for my poor memory but it was 20 years ago! I used an Icom PCR 1000, a PC controlled receiver. The Roberts radio was used for something else.

oz-1

Visit site
Hi everyone, iv'e just been looking at this thread and just have to marvel at the knowledge of so many people ( i really mean it ). I can just about manage to send an email, look at utube and sign on to this and a couple of other forums. That is the extent of my computer know how. I still only use paper charts. I have a Sangean receiver that has single side band, and i have a small samsung tablet that i got given to me that i still haven't used. Can anyone tell me how to connect these two items to be able to receive the above mentioned weather charts. To me it sounds like sorcery!! Many thanks in advance for any help. Best regards, Oz.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Hi everyone, iv'e just been looking at this thread and just have to marvel at the knowledge of so many people ( i really mean it ). I can just about manage to send an email, look at utube and sign on to this and a couple of other forums. That is the extent of my computer know how. I still only use paper charts. I have a Sangean receiver that has single side band, and i have a small samsung tablet that i got given to me that i still haven't used. Can anyone tell me how to connect these two items to be able to receive the above mentioned weather charts. To me it sounds like sorcery!! Many thanks in advance for any help. Best regards, Oz.
If you Google 'weatherfax' you will find lots of information and several Youtube videos showing you how to do it.

Pye_End

Visit site

Load an app called HF Weather Fax (not free but not expensive). An excellent app, and simply uses the speaker of the radio, and microphone on the tablet.

If you want Navtex, then load DroidNavtex. Similarly impressive and easy.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Does the poster require SSB (or BFO)?
I believe SSB is what's required to receive weather fax.

There are some apps these days you can install on your phone or tablet and just leave the tablet sitting next to the radio, with the radio tuned in and presumably making the same sounds as one used to hear accidentally calling a fax machine.

I think any of these units would do OP:
The Tecsun 330 seems like a bargain, assuming the ones on Amazon are genuine. Nevada radio in Portsmouth (and also mail order) have it for a little more, and they have an excellent reputation. One review is titled that it has "one serious design issue" which turns out to be an advantage for this kind of use - "the main and fine tuning knobs on the right side of the PL-330 are embedded into the cabinet just far enough as to make easy rapid finger tuning of the radio nearly impossible." In other words, it may be harder to bump the receiver off frequency if you accidentally knock it.

Make sure you download the app and try the radio as soon as you get it, so you can return it within the 14 days if it doesn't work.

Bilgediver

Visit site

Neeves

Visit site
If I am understanding him correctly he wishes to download the synoptic charts broadcast from UK for navy purposes and similar ones from Hamburg. This is very old technology and may not even exist now. I last used it in 2002.

I apologise for my poor memory but it was 20 years ago! I used an Icom PCR 1000, a PC controlled receiver. The Roberts radio was used for something else.

Australia has some unique characteristics. Its a big island and mobile phone coverage is limited to areas where people actually live. Along the south coast and many parts of the north coast there are no towns - and no mobile phone operator is going to instal aerials and or repeaters. Its much the same for VHF. The only way to communicate is to another vessel, using VHF or invest in a Sat phone (which has cost implications). SSB is still common amongst some yachts and for farms in the outback. Coverage of Australia with SSB is complete and the commercial operator that runs the service will establish a contact schedule with you allowing you to log in a provide a position and future plans. As mentioned previously they actual transmit the weather forecasts and for some States manage the Police requirements.

There is a similar service in New Zealand run by the same commercial operator.

In addition to being able to download weather forecasts, with some further equipment, there were a number of services offering the ability to send and receive email, from memory Sailmail - though we have never bothered. Here - because the weather forecast is transmitted 4 hourly we simple listen to the voice message and don't consider our interpretation will be better than that of our Bureau. Our forecasts are all marine forecasts specifically focussed at commercial operators - fishermen etc. If you are in Bass Strait, and maybe up on the NW Shelf they have specific forecasts for the oil rigs - again SSB - implying to me that SSB is alive and well in some parts of the world.

If you have the equipment its free, apart from a nominal cost to keep your equipment licence registered.

Being in Oz I have no idea how widespread usage might be internationally. There used to be services run across the South China Sea and adjacent bits of ocean, I recall Rowdy's Net run (I think) out of the Phillipines where you could establish a presence and talk to similarly located yachts.

I am aware that the BBC withdrew its news service, short wave in Russian - but has resurrected it as a result of the Ukraine conflict and transmits news twice a day, I think in English but possibly also in Russian (as that is the reason for revamping the transmission). We have friends in Ukraine, Kherson - but they don't have a receiver and had relied on the internet for news and communication - Short wave radio is an old technology, retired by many - and now that it might be needed cannot be accessed - because the kit (a simple short wave radio) had had no use.

We have not used our SSB for 2 years now - as a result of the pandemic curtailing movement. I do use our Sony to pick up local radio transmission, music, and occasionally the news (as even round Sydney access to a mobile signal and internet is not perfect). Our SSB, ICOM 800, is now 40 years old, roughly. Apart from introduction of DSC for SSB radios I don't think the technology of SSB has changed - its just completely different - satellite - which was simply not available 40 years ago.

Now whether there is a 'service' allowing weather to be picked up crossing Biscay, or Atlantic (without the need to resort to satellite - I don't know). Whether there are amateur SSB nets across Biscay and Atlantic allowing you to log in with a position report (as we can do here) - again I don't know. I suspect that many will simply open their wallets and use sat - as it offers additional facilities absent from SSB (allows you to actually speak to family - who certainly will not have an SSB tucked under the stairs :) .

Jonathan

Last edited:

eebygum

Visit site

Yes, you have got it right; I just want a SW radio to download the weatherfax down to my ipad ?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Australia has some unique characteristics. Its a big island and mobile phone coverage is limited to areas where people actually live. Along the south coast and many parts of the north coast there are no towns - and no mobile phone operator is going to instal aerials and or repeaters. Its much the same for VHF. The only way to communicate is to another vessel, using VHF or invest in a Sat phone (which has cost implications). SSB is still common amongst some yachts and for farms in the outback. Coverage of Australia with SSB is complete and the commercial operator that runs the service will establish a contact schedule with you allowing you to log in a provide a position and future plans. As mentioned previously they actual transmit the weather forecasts and for some States manage the Police requirements.

There is a similar service in New Zealand run by the same commercial operator.

In addition to being able to download weather forecasts, with some further equipment, there were a number of services offering the ability to send and receive email, from memory Sailmail - though we have never bothered. Here - because the weather forecast is transmitted 4 hourly we simple listen to the voice message and don't consider our interpretation will be better than that of our Bureau. Our forecasts are all marine forecasts specifically focussed at commercial operators - fishermen etc. If you are in Bass Strait, and maybe up on the NW Shelf they have specific forecasts for the oil rigs - again SSB - implying to me that SSB is alive and well in some parts of the world.

If you have the equipment its free, apart from a nominal cost to keep your equipment licence registered.

Being in Oz I have no idea how widespread usage might be internationally. There used to be services run across the South China Sea and adjacent bits of ocean, I recall Rowdy's Net run (I think) out of the Phillipines where you could establish a presence and talk to similarly located yachts.

I am aware that the BBC withdrew its news service, short wave in Russian - but has resurrected it as a result of the Ukraine conflict and transmits news twice a day, I think in English but possibly also in Russian (as that is the reason for revamping the transmission). We have friends in Ukraine, Kherson - but they don't have a receiver and had relied on the internet for news and communication - Short wave radio is an old technology, retired by many - and now that it might be needed cannot be accessed - because the kit (a simple short wave radio) had had no use.

We have not used our SSB for 2 years now - as a result of the pandemic curtailing movement. I do use our Sony to pick up local radio transmission, music, and occasionally the news (as even round Sydney access to a mobile signal and internet is not perfect). Our SSB, ICOM 800, is now 40 years old, roughly. Apart from introduction of DSC for SSB radios I don't think the technology of SSB has changed - its just completely different - satellite - which was simply not available 40 years ago.

Now whether there is a 'service' allowing weather to be picked up crossing Biscay, or Atlantic (without the need to resort to satellite - I don't know). Whether there are amateur SSB nets across Biscay and Atlantic allowing you to log in with a position report (as we can do here) - again I don't know. I suspect that many will simply open their wallets and use sat - as it offers additional facilities absent from SSB (allows you to actually speak to family - who certainly will not have an SSB tucked under the stairs :) .

Jonathan
If you look at the photo in my post #9 you will see that the laptop screen has just started to receive a synoptic chart. This is what the OP wishes to do.

I was under the impression that this service was no longer available but it seems I was mistaken.

Edit: I see his post confirming this came in as I was typing.

eebygum

Visit site
If you‘re interested, I’ve got an Icom Ssb and tuner plus a few other bits that I need to sell. I might also have a NASA shortwave receiver - but will have to check as it might have sold whenI did a boat jumble last Oct.
Yes, something like the NASA target SW receiver would be good, PM me the details. Cheers

Minerva

Visit site
I have found that Seatty is excellent as not only does it receive very very clear faxes but it can be left on and files by time and date.

Weather messages decoder - RTTY, NAVTEX, PACTOR-1 FEC, WEFAX (HF-FAX), NWR SAME software

I use SeaTTY too and have it coupled up to a Nasa SSB receiver. The program runs on a cheap win10 tablet on the chart table and it just trundles on, receiving faxes silently all day / night and saves each transmission as a new image file and using very little power.

It's really good at it too - because it just sits doing it's thing silently whenever you go to check there is a whole host of new weather isometric charts to check and get a reasonably good understanding of what is coming down the line for the next 4 days or so.

I would definitely recommend!